1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeopardy! 7/13 with Spoilers!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Robert Snyder, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

It's 11:39 in Lubbock, what is going on?

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What the heck are you doing in Lubbock AB?
    I visited a friend who lived there a couple of years ago out in the ghetto (17th and S area, near the Moroco apartments) and I walked up and down the streets trying to ask people what channel Jeopardy was on. Aparently, people don't watch the show much there.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think he's there...the thread starter lives there and it comes on at 11:30 there

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Page 2's Bill Simmons just wrote an article about Ken's remarkable streak:

http://www.sportsguy.net/

The Summer of the Jeopardy Guy

By Bill Simmons
    Page 2

"Jeopardy!" answer: he dutifully followed the game show exploits of a grating software engineer from Salt Lake City.

"Jeopardy!" question: who is ... aw, forget it. It's me, okay? I'm obsessed with the Jeopardy Guy. Watching this Mormon assassin emerge as the MJ of nerds has been the highlight of my summer. He's earned the coveted No.1 spot on my TiVo Season Pass, as well as acronym status: the Sports Gal and I refer to him as the JG. I wish I were kidding. Watching him pocket a million-plus during his astounding 35-game winning streak -- still going as I write this -- we alternately revered him and hoped Alex Trebek would punch him in the face.

Yes, he's a smarmy know-it-all with the personality of a hall monitor, the kind of guy everyone hides from at a Christmas party. But he has "it" -- that indefinable quality you have when you know you're good, when you're in the zone and taking everyone for a ride. The '86 Celts had it. They toyed with teams before ripping their hearts out, Temple of Doom style. The JG does too. Not since the pre-nanny Tiger has somebody laid the smack down like this. He doesn't beat people, he dismantles them.

There's something comforting about seeing the JG's smiling, Stepford mug every night, and the way he shakes his head in disbelief as Trebek announces his absurd money total. (Of course, the number should be higher. Isn't this streak 10 times more impressive than someone rattling off 10 answers on Regis' Millionaire show?) Maybe he's boring; maybe he's unlikable. But like the truly great ones, he raises his game when it matters. Who else can you count on to do that these days?

I can remember him being tested only once in the past month. On June 25, a bald musician named Michael pulled within $200 near the end of Round 2. It was like seeing Douglas whistling jabs at Tyson. The normally unflappable Trebek pulled a Kevin Harlan, yelping, "We got a game!"

Not for long. The JG calmly padded his lead heading into commercial, then fended the bald guy off in Final Jeopardy. Definitely an ESPN Classic moment. As we awaited his final answer (What is leprosy?), the JG stared into the camera like Stephen A. Smith, playing up the drama before breaking into an exaggerated Dr. Evil smile when the correct response was revealed. As always, the Sports Gal summed up everyone's feelings: "I hope he gets eaten by a tiger."

He chugged along untouched for the next three weeks, nailing every category imaginable, TV's version of DiMaggio. Searching for challenges, the JG honed some annoying ploys, including expressing doubt when he responds (you know, to raise everyone's hopes before dashing them); adding drawings to Final Jeopardy answer cards (like Jimmy Carter's front teeth); and his "Oh, what the heck?" arrogance during Daily Doubles, when he says stuff like, "I don't know the first thing about the history of nuclear fusion in Croatia ... I better wager just $9,500." There hasn't been a villain this good since Billy Zabka. Even Alex seems to enjoy him; their dorky Ali-Cosell routine is funnier than any sitcom.

At this point, the JG is doing everything but making cell phone calls or throwing in a load of laundry during the show, as he goads opponents into taking crazy risks. Last Thursday, a competitor named Tom wagered all but $200 of his $6,200 nest egg on a Daily Double. You do that when you're going against the best. It's like bunting to break up a Koufax perfect game. Tom heard the question, hemmed and hawed, winced a few times, then threw out a "guess" ... and nailed it. Uh-oh. That's the JG's move. This was like John Starks sticking out his tongue and dunking on MJ. Certain lines should not be crossed. Even Alex's voice hushed.

You can guess what happened next. Trailing by $1,400 with half the board remaining, the JG rolled up the sleeves of his professor's jacket and went to work: six straight answers for six grand. When a flustered Tom botched the next one, the JG answered it correctly, exhaling for good measure. By the end of the second round, he'd tripled Tom's total, practically preening as they headed into commercial. The lesson, as always: don't wake up a sleeping corduroy giant.

Will the JG ever lose? I see it ending like Gagne's save streak -- a close game, then some sort of fluke and everyone standing around in disbelief. Either that, or one of the other contestants pummels him to death. "I can't even look at him anymore," the Sports Gal hissed last week. "His face is so punchable." But isn't that the point? We need villains, even if they come in the form of a wispy computer geek.

That's why I will always remember the summer of the JG.

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN the Magazine.

5. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Apparently if Jennings wins today, we won't find out when he loses until the next season.

http://www.harktheherald.com/module...article&sid=29910&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Ken Jennings, the software engineer from Salt Lake City who has shattered the records for winning on "Jeopardy!," won again in an episode televised Thursday.

An update on his record-breaking run, which began June 2:

Consecutive shows as winner: 37

Money won Thursday: $52,000

Money won to date: $1,246,660

Perspective: At the start of its 20th season last fall, "Jeopardy!" changed its longtime rule that said a champion must leave after five straight wins.

Now a player stays until losing.

Vacation: If Jennings wins again on Friday's show, he won't be seen until September. "Jeopardy!" will show reruns during a summer break.

Previous record: Tom Walsh of Washington, D.C., won $184,900 over seven days last winter.

Final Jeopardy: Name the two U.S. presidents whose middle names are also the last names of two other presidents. The correct reply: Ronald Wilson Reagan and William Jefferson Clinton. Jennings was the only one to get it right.

Thursday's highlight: With a chance to break a one-day record for winnings that he's already reached twice, Jennings bet only $10,000 on the final question, assuring a third tie.

6. Astro101

Astro101 Member

But they've taped those shows, right? They just won't be seen til then?

7. SoSoDef76

8. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

they need to make it live. so people can challenge him. i'm sure there's plenty of people out there that can beat him.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

For the life of me I can't remember the guy's name but there is a politician in Ohio (I beleive state governemnt but could b here in Columbus) that is a retired 5 day jepardy champion. He said he had been in contact with Jeopardy about having some retired Champions (like himself) get a chance against him. Note Jeopardy did not reach out to him he reached out to them.

I think it would be ok to maybe have 30 champions come back and play over 2 weeks (3/day over 10 days). Then week 3 the 10 winners and 5 wild cards (highest points for non-winners) play.
    Week 4 championship week - The 5 winners of week 3 and 4 wild cards (again highest points non-winner) play on Monday-Wednesday.
    Then the 3 winners play for 2 days on Thursday or Friday.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

even if someone is more knowledgeable than him, he's pretty much mastered the buzzing in part which is the real trick of the show. he'll go down one day but it's very impressive

11. sup123

sup123 Member

he won 75000 today.

Not bad for a days of work.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well he just broke the record with 75,000.

in fact, he actually broke the record before final jeopardy!! in double jeopardy he got to 53,000 on the 2nd to last question. then he missed the last question of the day to fall to 51,400. finally, he stopped tying the damn record and bet 23,600 to get to 75,000. unbelievable. so was the AP lying when it said he loses (or did it never say that all like people on here have said)?

13. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I missed Final Jeopardy, but WOW 75,000!

Well, guess the AP report didn't know what they were talkin about if he's returning to tape in August.

14. SoSoDef76

Do you mean the reference in the AP that Jennings won't be seen again until September? That may still be right. Although the taping is in August, it may not be broadcast until September.

15. sup123

sup123 Member

when he losses wont everyone know. Cause jeopardy is filmed infront of an audience.So the audience will probably leak info that he lost.

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the earlier AP report that supposedly said he lost may have either been wrong or misinterpreted. I think it was based on the fact that he was at home because of the taping hiatus. It was then reported that well he is home so he must have lost.

17. Buzz1023

Buzz1023 Member

I go onto espn.com and I can't believe his picture is on the frontpage. He's really getting his 15 mins.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

IMO, he'll end up getting more like "45min.-1hour".

EVERYBODY has been talking about this guy now... and EVERYBODY will be talking about him again when taping resumes, and the broadcast the new season in September.

Hell... Jeopardy might even move to prime-time because of this guy... the buzz will definitely be there.

People like dynasties...

19. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I remember this cop from NJ I think it as who just steamrolled everyone throughout his 5 days then won the tournament of champions in another roll over. I like the idea of an "All-Star" duo, like the cop and the politician, going up aginst Jeopardy Guy. Kind of like the All-Thug team against the Chiefs at the end of Slap Shot.

20. sup123

sup123 Member