1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas bit in the face by a dog

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketKid, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Unfortunately, most people do not cage their animals on road trips thinking it's not their day to get in a wreck. The dog will be okay...sure. A dog will fly and be splatted on the dashboard and die if you do not cage it and come to a sudden crash/stop.

So, in my opinion as a dog owner, the owner is partially at fault here. To top it off, he has given up on his dog for his partial mistake. I don't think being loose in a car is a natural setting for a dog to behave like he/she normally would. And, he must not be very close to his dog, either, since he gave up on the dog.

It's a sad situation all the way around. I hope KT is okay. I wonder what the circumstances were? Maybe it was KT's cologne and that dog disliked it. Hell, if you touch my dog while it is resting, it will snap at you and, if you unlucky, it may bite you. At the very least, it will scare the crap out of you(like being attacked by a bear).

Poor victim, poor dog, poor everybody.

Surf

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited July 09, 2001).]

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

The Cat is even a dog apologist. Any chance the dog is named Collier?

------------------

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Channel 2 tv, Craig Roberts reported that Kenny was leaning into the car to say goodbye to Boylan's wife, when the Boston Terrier bit him on the face. He had surgery and will be ok.

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited July 09, 2001).]

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I was also shocked to hear that the dog was being put to sleep, but guys don't worry, it was just a Boston Terrier.

Smokey in the hangout (I should have quoted his post in hindsight.... or midsight as I'm still typing) said that Kenny looked into the car to say goodbye to Mrs. Boylen when he got bit on the lip. Now... the dumbest damn thing you could ever do is invade a little dog's space by sticking your head in the owner's car window, but that's besides the point.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Not to come to the defense of the dog, but IT'S A FREAKING DOG! What did people expect? No I'm not blaming KT at all, I'm blaming the owner. Keep your freaking dog under control. . .well I guess it doesn't matter since it's pushing up daisies now. That's a shame, I definitely feel sorry for KT and hope he's ok. But I kind of feel bad for the dog, who was pretty much put in a bad situation by a careless owner.

The Cat is even a dog apologist. Any chance the dog is named Collier?

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 09, 2001).]

6. Achebe

Damnit Bob, now everybody knows that I type 4 wpm. :p

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why blame the owner? The dog is in the car and instinctively reacts to KT as an intruder in his territory, someone who might attack his masters. Also, why cage the dog? The chances of accident are very small and many dogs enjoy going out for rides (like mine). Its no ones fault, it just happened and its a sad situation for everyone involved but there was nothing in this case to justify the killing of the dog. You take the family who is really sad about the dog attack and kill there dog making them even more depressed. Also how the heck does a little terrier bite someones mug off?

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Should I edit my post?

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

9. Achebe

lol! I'll just pretend to myself that I didn't do a refresh before posting (and reading the other two posts). [​IMG]

10. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Unfortunate situation indeed, KT will go on but the poor lil Terrier goes to doggy heaven sooner than it should have. In my opinion the dog was just doing what dogs do, and that is protect his territory, the inside of the car was his to guard and take care off, punishing him for doing something that comes naturally is unjust.

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Get Well Kenny.

Not to get sidetracked, but DAMN, are y'all hypocrits or what? Now unless y'all are vegetarians like Jeff, I do not understand how you can feel SO BAD for READING ABOUT A DOG BEING PUT TO SLEEP one minute, then the next minute turn around and TAKE A BITE OF THAT STEAK.

ALL OF YOU NON VEGETARIANS WHO ARE EXPRESSING ANGER AGAINST THIS DOGS DEATH ARE HYPOCRITS, HYPOCRITS, HYPOCRITS!!!

Now I'm not saying y'all are evil or anything, just comon, pick a side and stick to it: Animals (including dogs) were put on this earth to nourish the human body, aka the Bible side OR it's bad to kill animals.

I feel bad for Kenny. I don't feel bad for the dog because I eat meat. Even though the logic is kinda messed up, I feel kinda bad for the Boylen's because of the emotion in losing the dog. But it's their loss, not the dog's. It's like losing a sentimental toy, the toy isn't hurt, the HUMAN is.

Now in the back of my mind I do feel that it's wrong to kill the dog. I know, this is getting convoluted. But one day, when I can evolve on my own free will to become vegetarian, I will truly feel bad for dogs. But not now, because I am not a hypocrit.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The dog was protecting the missus from what I gather.Now,as pet owners,the Boylen's should have a pretty good idea what this dog's behavioral tendencies are.While it is their responsibility for bringing it along and not having it caged,I think putting the dog to sleep is a bit much....and sad.That being said,I can understand the move.While I don't like it,it IS the Boylen's fault and unfortunately because of their carelessness,the doggy is gone and so is part of Kenny's face.I hope everyone's wounds heal quickly.I hate to hear stuff like this.An animal is a member of your family and should be nutured and loved for they give us unconditional love in return...I don't know if he had been trained or what,but animal owners should take a handson approach to their pet.To many times you hear about this with people who put dogs through training and don't even it out with attention and love..bad situation.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

13. Achebe

Kim, I think your reasoning is flawed. Not all vegetarians are animal rights activists, and not all animal rights activists feel as if dogs should be allowed to bite people's ****ing lips off. [​IMG]

Little dogs are very territorial. My grandma's Schnauzer(sp?) knows me pretty well, but if I approach my grandma to hug her goodbye w/o his approval, he'll take my shoestrings off.

It was a random act, there's nothing moral to say about this one way or the other. We all bend down to say hello/goodbye to people in their cars. Imagine how many times you've done this in your life w/o thinking for a second that there might be a little dog w/ little dog syndrome hanging out in the car.

If the dog truly gets put down, I doubt it's b/c the Boylens think the dog is inherently evil... it's probably b/c of the threat of a lawsuit.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited July 10, 2001).]

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The dog was put to sleep? How sickening. I think I am going to vomit...

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yo hardwood, does your dog really give you unconditional love? That's a little to complex to state straight up isn't it. It's loyal, maybe, but does it live only to make your life better? Parents live for their children, parents unconditionally (most of the time) love their children, and vice versa.

Unless you are a vegetarian, I don't think you should feel sad for the dog. Don't flame me, it's just my opinion. Do you feel sad when a cow is slaughtered? Do you feel sad when eating dinner?

Now don't say that because the dog loves you. Cause first of all, a dog loving you is just way too complex to be so adamant (ie as opposed to a mother's love), and secondly, so only an animal that loves you can't be killed without emotion?

Geez, if we use that logic on people, I guess it's ok to turn our backs when it's not us, our family, or our friends being slaughtered. Oh, wait a second, we do that already.

Humans are the cruelest and most hypocritical species on this earth. That is something to be sad about.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

HEB, you make a good point, but I think we're like two ships passing in the night here. All my point is people who eat meat are hypocrits if they are animal rights activist. Not evil, just hypocrits.

For example, ZRB, how is that sickening? Have you ever eaten fried chicken? You are sickening then.

IF YOU GO ALONG WITH THE BIBLE'S VERSION ON WHY ANIMALS ARE HERE, then do it without discrimination! A dog is an animal. We eat animals. The pathos is generated from the human, not the dog. The loss is the human's. If you believe otherwise (which I'm not saying it's wrong to believe otherwise), but if you do, then STOP EATING MEAT, STOP EATING ANIMALS!.

What's going on in Sierra Leone is sickening. The conditions in the DRC is sickening. Jamaica's riots are sickening. Ethnic Albanians and Serbians killing eachother STILL TODAY is sickening. Nigerian Christians and Muslims killing eachother TODAY is sickening.

Putting a dog to sleep should not be sickening to those who eat meat.

17. rocketholic

rocketholic Contributing Member

So what your saying is that if i'm not a fan of all sports, i should be a non sports fan all together?

------------------

18. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I have been attacked twice in my life by dogs. Both times were bad enough for stitches. The first time, I had startled my neighbor's dog while it was sleeping and it jumped up and bit me. It was a black lab and normally friendly. It bit me on my side and I still have a pretty bad scar. My neighbor felt horrible and I think that they got rid of the dog, out of respect for me, but they didn't kill it. I don't think that it should have been put to sleep, because it was just reacting naturally to a percieved threat.

The second time I was bit was about 8 months ago. It was my father's Chow. I was visiting my dad and the dog didn't bark at me when I came in late at night. He even let me pet him. As I was about to lay on the couch to sleep, I noticed that he had one of my socks and I tried to get it from him. I was on the floor at his level and he grabbed my throat. He didn't growl or give me any warning, but I had to beat him off of me. He also bit my hand as I was trying to get him off. Once I got him off, he still tried to go for me until I stood up. I was so shocked, that I didn't really know what had happened. It scared the hell out of me though. I had a big gash in my throat and on my hand, but I didn't go to the ER that night, because my dad felt so bad that I didn't want him to worry so much, but I went to the doctor the next day. He couldn't give me stitches because it was too late, but he was shocked to see the dog go for my throat. I still have a bad scar that hasn't healed completely. It's still puffy and I just formed another scab on it. My throat was sore because of the tendons and stuff were strained by the dog's teeth. It might have been the dog's natural reaction, but I think that it was trying to kill me. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was a young child.

Dad gave the dog away, but I personally think that it should have been put to sleep. I've been around dogs my entire life and I try my hardest to not be scared of dogs, but it's very hard now. I love dogs though and I don't really think that KT's attacker should be put to sleep, but I think that it depends on the threat that the dog could do something again in the future. Some dogs have a bad temperament as a result of breeding or whatever. My dad didn't want to get rid of his dog, but he knew that he would hate himself if his dog did something again especially to a child.

It was a horrible experience as many of you know from being attacked and I hope that no one still thinks that it's funny that KT was attacked. I do like the nick name K9 Thomas. He definitely earned it and lord knows I caught all kinds of hell from my friends when I got bit.

Good luck K9!

------------------

19. New Kid On The Block

Awesome post firebat. But who can define the potential danger of a dog?

------------------

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Firecat, I feel bad for you, really man. You should've went to the emergency room. I've made that mistake once also and now have this huge scar left over...not good.

In reading your story, I further affirm that all of the emotions involved were originating from humans, like your dad and you weighing eachother's feelings and feelings for the dog, but non from the dog.

Rocketholic. No, I am not saying anything about having to like all sports versus one sport. Your analogy sucks, nothing personal. But a loose one line analogy is bs when trying to create an argument. I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT LIKING SPORTS, COMPRENDE? I'm talking about KILLING ANIMALS. I'm saying it's hypocritical to feel sad about a dog dying and eating fried chicken for dinner that day.

Here's an anology for ya: I'm saying if a soccer player dies, I should feel bad for him because he is a person. Damn, that was a horrible anology. Nevermind that. You see what started? Analogies suck.

Back to the dog. Why should you feel sad for READING ABOUT A DOG DYING when YOU FEEL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH EATING ANIMALS THAT HAVE SLAUTERED EVERY DAY. Reading about dead dogs vs. eating animals. That is hypocritical, not evil, not bad, just hypocritical. Now if you do feel bad about a dog dying, and you do feel bad about eating slaughtered animals so you don't do that, then that is non hypocritical.