1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DROB at 3 years, 30 million?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stevierebel, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

On TRG.com, he states that the Rockets have offered Robinson this contract. What is this? I don't think this is true but why won't they offer Dream this money per year if they want him to return? Another question, just because a team is over the cap, does it mean they have to pay the luxury tax?

------------------
    Stevierebel

2. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Maybe its not true.

------------------
    Don't ask, I lost a bet.

3. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

If this is true, then the rockets are on some really bad crack.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

the rockets guy is on some bad crack. No way the rockets offer Rob this.

------------------

5. Colby

Colby Member

I like it. That means we can ship Cato out.

DRob for 10 mil would be great.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

6. Band Geek Mobster

How unbelievably stupid that would be... I'm not buying it. There's no way they'd throw $30 million at the Little Mermaid...

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

Have no fear kiddies, the name's changed, but the Mobster is still the same...

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Wouldn't the Rockets have to renounce Mo, Dream AND Shandon to get that far under the cap to make an offer like that to David Robinson!? If that's the case then we're not going to have a PF, or the Rockets are silly enough to throw Griffin at PF. Or it's not true, or there is something more to this then meets the eye.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

8. 3pointer

3pointer Member

There is no WAy! the rox do this.. @ least I hope not!

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

<marquee>NO WAY!!!</marquee>

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

10. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Maybe the Spurs want Webber!

And everyone knows that Robinsons second choice is Houston.

But man, it is hard to bite on this one. That means that Norris, Taylor, Hakeem, and Bullard are all gone.

Who's our powerforward? Griffin?

And who's our Small forward? Langhi and Morris?

Geez! I don't think I like this one.

------------------

11. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Sounds like you answered your own question. But the issue with DRob is not how many games did he play last year, but how many will he play this year? He is now the same age Hakeem was when he started missing all those games 2-3 years ago. And if he comes to Houston, he won't have TD inside to help with the dirty work, and he'll get banged hard. (Don't count on Griffin to help that much until he bulks up and gets more experience). I wouldn't bet on him playing 80 games in 00-01.

So the only way a DRob deal makes sense is if it helps the Rocks with cap space down the road.

------------------

12. MManal

MManal Member

Actually, the Rockets would be able to keep Mo Taylor and Moochie. They would lose Olajuwon and Anderson if they offered this kind of cash to Robinson. People seem to forget that Moochie only counts about 680K unsigned, thus the Rockets can pursue their other endeavors first and exceed the cap and re-sign Mooch up to 4.5 mil. Also 3 yrs 30 mil amounts to a 9 mil salary slot as opposed to 10 mil b/c the Rockets could increase him 10% each yr.

Im not commenting on whether or not this would be a smart move; Im just disputing the notion in this thread that Robinson at this price would cost us all our FAs b/c it wouldnt. The Rockets could still keep the two most integral ones, Mo Taylor and Moochie Norris.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Ok, thanks MManal. I wasn't sure if the Rockets had to renounce the rights to Mo to free up cap space or not. I was pretty sure they had to renounce Shandon and Dream since they had Dream's Bird rights, and Shandon's early Bird rights.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

14. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

The 3 yr @$10M per year is the quoted Robinson asking price. If Hakeem is asking for two years and less money per year, I don't have any idea why the Rockets would be interested in DRob.

One variable might be Olajuwon's physical state. DRob missed 2 games last year. Olajuwon missed 24.

It does sound like talks with Olayuwon may have stalled and the Rockets are evaluating their options.

This is the source quoted by TRG: http://thenbaguys.com/spurs.html
    I don't know anything about his source.

------------------

15. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

I like this part of the article by TheSPURSGuy:

In the recently-held NBA draft, the Rockets added Eddie Griffin to a lineup that already
    featured Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Maurice Taylor. Still a very young team, they won 45 games last year, and would probably win 52-55 this year, even without Robinson. In 2002-2003, when Griffin will start to come into his own as a player, a Rockets team featuring David Robinson would have a decent shot at beating the Lakers.

------------------
    http://www.cld9.com/chris/nbau.html

16. Silk

Silk Member

... I dont think that the news going around of Houston offering him 30 million is all that hard to offer.

We all know why rumors circulate, they are tools of manipulation.

Most likely this is just a stunt from the DRob side to put a little scare into the spurs to ante up and give him what he feels hes worth.

------------------
    ...The OTHER Dark Meat

[This message has been edited by Silk (edited July 09, 2001).]