1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will Griffin bring to the Rocks next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a.k.a vince, Jun 30, 2001.

1. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Will it be 17 points 8 rebounds and 4 blocks shots a game?

Man, that makes this current team a contender. Imagine Mobley and Francis starting the fast breaks after those Griffin blocks!!!

Is this line reasonable? Do you expect more or less from Griffin?

------------------

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I will be shocked if he gives us more than 14 pts a game. Considering his age 14 a game is really pushing it but he was so impresive against some of the best college tallent that its hard to remember that he just turned 19.

Rebounding and shot blocking on the other hand is something completely different. Rebounding is all about disire and attitude. Griffin has all of that plus pure physical ability. Shot blocking is about timing and that is something that you either have or you don't and once again Griffins got it.

10+ rebounds a game and 2+ blocks is realistic I think if he is givin the minutes.

------------------

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Towards the end of the season perhaps, but not at the beginning. Remember he's just 19 years old. There will be a learning curve. And I highly doubt he swats 4 per game next year-- not even the top shotblockers in the game do that these days. He'll do pretty good, probably be the leading Rookie of the Year candidate, but I wouldn't expect his rookie year to be quite as good as Steve's. Something like this would be very realistic and pleasing to me:

13 pts, 9 reb, 2 blks, 2 asst, 30 min

And remember, this is just the beginning... [​IMG]

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

4. JAG

JAG Member

A pretty decent left and one hell of a right uppercut, from what I hear...

------------------

5. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Rockets will be a pretty descent and contender team in the hostile western conference.

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

With Eddie, rockets dont need a rebounding pf. So he will do the rebounding for MO. Eddie i predict.

14, 9.6 rebs, 2 blocks

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

These expectations are a little high up, and he probably won't fulfill them. I'd say he'll get around 10/11 points 7/8 rebounds 1.5/2 blocks with the first set of numbers most likely. As many people have said he is just 19.

------------------

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

JAG--You crack me up!

NYKRule probably has the most realistic expectation of Griffin's stats so far. Remember, there is still a chance Rudy will bring him along slowly, possibly bringing him off the bench the first part of the year. He won't play 40 minutes a game, and Morris and Langhi may push for a few of those minutes if they're both on the team. Also, the Rockets won't score 150 ppg, so you can't figure everyone to score a lot individually. Francis will get his; Mobley's average will probably go down but will still be pretty good.

While I firmly believe that the Rookie of the Year is a three-horse race between Griffin, Shane Battier, and Rodney White, here is my very realistic expectation of Eddie before he turns 20:

13 ppg; 7 rpg; 1.5 bpg

Doesn't look like much, but we might be running a lot of players out there. He can't do EVERYTHING (yet, that is [​IMG]).

------------------

[This message has been edited by BimaThug (edited July 01, 2001).]

9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Good One JagOff!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    "How close were you to her? Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left son." - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

10. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

I saw it pointed out the other day that Eddie Griffin is actually younger than Kwame Brown, despite Brown's coming straight out of high school.

------------------

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

50 wins, but who knows if that will get them into the playoffs. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

12. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

15 ppg
    8 rpg
    2 bpg
    2 apg
    34 mins

------------------
    CC.net's most courteous driver

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a job right now, so hire me please :)

13. 3pointer

3pointer Member

His points will depend on how Rudy T. brings him along. If Griffin comes in and demonstrates the ability Francis did during his rookie season then we are looking at 10 to 14 ppg 6.6rbs and 1.8ppg all in about 25 to 30 mpg. If Rudy T. decides to bring him up slowly then lower down your expectations.

As for Morris, I see him avg. about 6 to 8.8 ppg and 6.0 rbs per game. Remember that there is a chance that Morris may get more time since he is a 4yr. player and most then likely more polished.

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

14. crash5179

This is exactly the reason why I don't want Shandon back. I am worried that Rudy will be to tempted to play him at the 3. I would rather sacrifice some wins in order to get Morris and Griffin acclimated to the NBA than waste time with Shandon at the three.

I think Griffin will eventually be a 4 so I hope to see him get at least 30+ minutes a game between the 3 spot and the 4 spot.

------------------

15. Silk

Silk Member

I agree i really think rudy will bring him in really slowly.

I dont think he will block over 1.5 this year and maybe closer to one. The shooters in the nba use their heads when playing. they know how to score in manners with the smallest window of opportunity for opponents to block the shot.

Natural ability will get griffen only so far. He will still need to learn the timing of the NBA

AND

One stat we are all forgetting....
    4+ TO's

------------------
    President of MY fan club.

16. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I think Rudy understands how good Griffin already is, and can be, and will start him from day one. I say that because what he brings instantly is what we need...rebounding and shotblocking (10 and 2.5). Whether he is called a 3 or 4 is irrelevant. Re. scoring, I expect him to average in double figures (11-14 ppg) and steadily increase numbers each year. [​IMG]

17. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

To Rockets' fans who've seen Griffin play, I would like to ask your opinion if Rudy Tomjanovich can make Eddie Griffin start.

Francis immediately started after they traded Othella Harrington, Michael Dickerson, Brent Price ,and Tony Massenberg.

Given he's nineteen years old, can he start for the Rockets just as Steve Francis?

Any hyperlinks for videos of Griffin?

Thank you.

------------------

18. Band Geek Mobster

What a bunch of homers...

I see Eddie Griffin making the All-Star game... it's not like he has any competition...

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

19. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Griffin will start if the Rockets don't resign Anderson. He is a great player who would give the team a defensive presence. I think the defense will be there before the offense.

------------------
    Stevierebel

20. crash5179

I hope we don't sign anderson. If we do I hope it is just for the back up to Mobes and he only sees the 3 spot in extreme emergencies. He just is not big enough to guard the bigger 3s in this game.

------------------