1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo v Webb...'worst case' scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jun 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ScreamingRocketJet

Just looking at 'worst case scenarios'...

i.e....Webber comes here, screws up our chemistry...Steve resents it becoming Webbs team...Griffin doesn't get to develop as he should...etc etc...

VS.

Mo Taylor gets the big pay cheque and then becomes another Cato...

Those are the two WORST CASE scenarios of signing either of those two players...I think we'd all agree on that...

The way I look at it, even in a worst cast scenario...C Webb will still have MAJOR trade value in a year or two's time...you'll still be able to trade him and jag an all star or two...so, is the risk that bad? I don't think so...

Alternatively, if Mo T doesn't work out...your stuck with a guy and a contract that would be a burden BIG TIME...and, alongside Cato's contract, has the potential to cause a lot of damage down the road...

I see the 'risk' factor of Webber as much less consequently.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ScreamingRocketJet (edited June 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ScreamingRocketJet (edited June 30, 2001).]

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really understand how Mo has the potential to become Cato. Mo is light years ahead of Cato offensively, and only slightly behind Cato defensively (at least Mo doesn't jump for every head fake any 10 year old gives him).

Mo cares, Mo has passion. I feel like starting a brand new Bo Jackson theme with Mo Taylor:

Mo knows 18 foot jumpers. Mo knows dunking on Bradley. Mo knows playing for the Rockets.

We need PF. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

------------------
    I would rather have Mo Taylor and his love of the Rockets than Webber and his love of our money.

[This message has been edited by RunninRaven (edited July 01, 2001).]

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The Webber Sweepstakes is over. Forgetabodid.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

4. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I think this is the conversation that would take place when the rox go after Webber:

CD ..... Webber, this is CD from the Houston Rockets, we have a great team and we are going places, would you like to joing us.

Webber..... well, let me think about it.

CD....... don't bother, sorry to bother you!
    bye!

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

ScreamingRocketsJet, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with you 100 %.

I think chemistry is a little bit overrated - well, I know it is extremely important, but who says there cannot be the same chemistry with more talented players. At the end of the day, Francis and Mobley want to win - so when they realize they will not be able to win with Cato, Taylor, Anderson - there goes the chemistry.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Mo at all. I think he is a decent PF. Shandon is an ok player who is slightly above average defensively. But recently, it seems to me that these two are USING the chemistry argument to solidify their bargaining position. And Feigen as well as The Cat are playing into their hands by repeating the "chemistry" argument over and over. So what if for some reason the chemistry is not there anymore? Things like that can happen fast - somebody doesn't pass the ball, two guys date the same singer, etc., etc.. Then your "chemistry" argument goes out of the window and you are stuck with two players who will not get you over the top.

Moreover, I just do not see any place for Shandon on the roster. If you can sign him for 2 million per year, fine, he is a solid backup, can't really go wrong with that. But spend more than 4.5 mio./year (that is what his agent was demanding) for someone who will most probably be stuck behind Cat/Francis at SG and behind Griffin/Morris/either Walt/Langhi/Bullard at the SF position does not make any sense at all.

If you have the cap room, go for the best talent available, unless it is a complete headcase. You can still make a trade for good value later if it does not work out.

Again: 1) Sign Webber; 2) Sign Hakeem; 3) Trade Walt and Cato and whatever else you need to do it for LaFrentz and Outlaw.

---> Rockets = NBA Champs 2002! [​IMG]

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Another thing - just trying to understand Hakeem's thinking.

Apparently, Hakeem is trying to get as much money as he can right now. Maybe - and I am just speculating - he is doing that because he does not see a situation where he could win a championship to end his career anyway, so he is like "might as well take all the money I can get then".

However, if he is a smart businessman, he should think like this: If he can end his career with a title AND on the team he played on his whole career, he will not only not damage his hometown hero role in Houston (which is a very lucrative role looking at endorsements etc.), but he will be a legend all his life, something he will be able to exploit commercially for the rest of his life.

Now, if the Rockets actually managed to sign Webber, and maybe add someone like Outlaw to do the dirty work, I honestly believe their chances - with Hakeem - to beat anyone, including the Lakers, would be very, very good. If the Rockets managed to make these moves, I would seriously bet money on them to win the NBA title. If Griffin pans out and they get Webber and resign Hakeem, they would just be so good offensively (Francis, Cat, Webber) and defensively (Griffin, Webber, Hakeem) that they would create huge matchup problems even for the Lakers (you could always throw Outlaw, Collier and everyone that can give 6 fouls on Shaq and Cat could try to wear down Kobe with his offense while Griffin would block Kobe a lot of times when Kobe tries to attack the basket).

My point is, if we sign Webber, chances of Hakeem staying for less money would increase dramatically, in my opinion. Therefore, let's really try to do that. Let's not settle for "chemistry".

I'd rather have a team where the stars might even fight during the regular season and then outclass everyone in the playoffs (look at Shaq and Kobe) than a team where everybody loves each other, we get stuck with complacency and mediocrity and we don't go anywhere.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Trading Webber if something goes wrong would be much easier than trading Taylor.

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'<-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

8. Band Geek Mobster

Just thought I'd remind you guys about that AWESOME package we got for Scottie Pippen, 1 of the 50 greatest players in NBA history!

Oh yeah, we really benefitted from that trade!

We might get lucky with a Kidd for Marbury type deal for Webber, but we also could get another team's crap in return for Webber...

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think you are overlooking the fact that Pippen was already 33 or so by the time we had to make that trade, plus, we were really in an unusual pressure situation, plus, we could probably have had Jermaine O'Neal instead of Cato, then the whole thing would have looked completely differently already. Plus, I don't think Webber is nearly as much of an ******* (and has never been) as Pippen is and always was (we all know some of the things Pippen already did when he was a Bull, like not going back into the game because his play was not called, etc.).
    Plus, Webber is a better player than Pippen ever was. Webber might not have gotten far in the playoffs, but he is a franchise player. Pippen was never able to carry a franchise on his own like Webber did.

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'<-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

10. Rockmaniac

Rockmaniac Member

I agree with your list, But Outlaw?

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

WORST case scenario, we don't sign Webber OR Mo....

I can't see Mo getting a contract the size or length of Cato's, plus the guy actually WANTS to play here.
    With the addition of Griffen, I no longer want Webber - Francis will be our cornerstone!

------------------