1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by krosfyah, May 23, 2004.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Okay, somebody knows this answer in 2 seconds but I've asked a lot of people and knowbody knows.

Why were the Rockets named the "Rockets" in San Diego? Did they build rockets in the area or something? And it is wierd that they would relocate to Houston, of all places, where the name is a perfect fit here.

Usually it's the other way around. Like the Jazz in Utah is just stupid. The Lakers in LA is silly too. But the Rockets in Houston couldn't be more perfect.

What gives?

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I read something once that said that because San Diego considered itself a city on the rise, they chose "Rockets" to represent the city rocketing to the sky.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

You know, I wondered the same thing too. Were the NASA build before the Rockets moved to Houston?

Edit:

Okey, so JSC was build in 1961, Rockets was move to Houston in 1970, so was that a part of the consideration?

#3 LegendZ3, May 23, 2004
    Last edited: May 23, 2004
  4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't think of a team moving to a city with a more fitting name than the san diego rockets moving to houston....

though, if the edmonton oilers had moved to houston in the late 90's, after the relocation of our football team to tennessee, that would have run an awful close second!

6. jondoe654

jondoe654 Member

i remember bill talking during a game saying when the league was expanding there were several teams joining, including san diego, and they hat picked their names. i'm gonna be looking though.

7. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I was stationed in San Diego when they got the team. The way I remember ...they just had a contest and picked a name.
    I might add,,in those days if you wanted to see an NBA game you had to pay and go to the games.
    We didnt have any piss ant fans who only complained and never went to a game.
    Houston was very fortunate to get players like Calvin, Rudy T, Mike Newlin, Elvin Hayes, etc. that made NBA ball stick in Htown.. The NBA wasnt all that popular at the time.

8. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I watched lots of San Diego Rockets game - courtside, front row seats. I was doing my internship & first year residency training at UCSD and my wife worked for KGB radio (home of the San Diego "chicken"). The station had lots of complimentary tickets to Rockets, Chargers and Padres games. None of the DJ's wanted them so we went to oodles of games. Since I was making $300/month during those days, those games were a real treat.

Been a diehard Rox fan ever since.

D R

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Nice colors, green and gold are the first colors I think of when I hear the name Rockets, looks more like an Irish beer label.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That is so strange. So the name Rockets was just a massive coincidence? How wierd is that?

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Yep. I was born in San Diego when my father was writing the Tech Manual for the Atlas.