1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asians vs Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 6, 2018.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

So a rich black kid faces more adversity than a poor asian? Please .. that argument you have is not sound! Ya racist.

Only black supremacists think that way. Everyone is oppressed in some way. Why is one specific way and race specific the way to go. Blind admissions or none is fair.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol, stop making stuff up.

This lawsuit is red meat for white supremacists (like yourself) to get you excited. Mission accomplished.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Tell me more about black supremacy.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am not the one aruging that one skin color makes one supurior over another. Ya racist.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

From someone who got into UT's undergrad business program because of affirmative action i would say the problem with affirmative action is it really doesn't help who its intended to help.

I think people have a misconception on the differences in academic performance of whom affirmative action helps vs everyone else. Most of the black students i knew came from stable middle to upper middle class homes. I knew a few who didn't. That being said affirmative action isn't going to boost the stereotypical poor low performing student to a situation he or she would otherwise have no shot at.

For me a kid on the borderline of where i wanted to be from where i was, it worked out well. That being said i had a lot of financial and stable support growing up.

Helping out the majority of poor imner city kids is another subject.

6. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Like a vampire hunter, I’m an expert on ChiCom hunting.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ll repeat what I said the 50 other times this debate as come up.

Speaking as an Asian who did go to a school that at the time had a quota on Asian students I’m not seriously bothered by it. I think particularly for private universities. Given all of the Byzantine admission rules including things like legacy admissions, athletic admissions for under qualified students, and as the admissions scandal shows money still speaks very loud. I’m not that concerned if a school wants to make their student body more diverse. All of that said I do think just a race based AA program isn’t the way to go. I think something more based on class and economic standing is better.

Consider that while Black Americans as a group are still dealing with poverty there are middle class and well off black Americans. At the same time there are white Americans stuck too in a cycle of poverty in places like Appalachia. There are Asians like Hmong who are dealing with poverty. In that sense just saying a black person regardless of income gets better consideration while a poor Hmong doesn’t because the feeling is there are too many Asians probably isn’t the right way to go.

From what I’ve seen I think how UT is doing it by accepting top students per region I think is better since poverty is often tied by region.

Hakeemtheking and tinman like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

1. That's all you argue
    2. I never said skin color makes one superior. But I know you don't care since you are just trolling with false attacks
    3. Spell check is your friend. Use it!

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes i think the UT top 10% model is very good. The black population wasn't negatively impacted when they switched and i believe they actually perform better.

I still remember the thread and a thread a couple of years afterwards. I remember discussing kids who perform well in a poor performing high school, there is a cream rising to the top affect

tinman and JayGoogle like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I went to an ivy league school and the black kids I knew were definitely not rich nor upper middle class, but neither were there from urban centers or poor families.

Poor kids face way too many obstacles to get into an ivy league school. But even middle class kids don't have the advantages of rich kids.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You just said it. Stop lying. Ya racist.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It is almost like life is not fair. Maybe you should look into that fact.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Seems like it’s mostly whiteys here yelling about Asians college admission. Wonder why.

The fact is, you people don't care about Asian applicants to colleges. You people also don't care about that 5 year old who got shot and killed. You people are just using them to try to score political points.

#33 Carl Herrera, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

How on earth do you know that? In the mid '90s you needed to be middle-quarter and have an SAT score with a 1 in front of it to get into a Texas uni. Maybe Plan II was competitive, but those admissions charts had mid-900s on them.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Nope, never said anything about one race being superior. Only you do that.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I went to private school. I knew other guys scores and grades.

Thats who I'm comparing to

Regardless that is how it works. No major upgrades

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There is a course on pretty much this for students in the MBA program at Harvard, but on a WORLD view. I heard about it from a friend who graduated from the program. (fun fact, he's black!) It sounded fascinating. To compare getting into a restaurant to getting into a private school is overly simplistic. I guess we're lucky the restaurant and the school don't just take whoever pays the most money. Or do they?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

All 7,000 - 8,000 freshmen? And what on earth does going to private school have do with anything?

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Regardless, I do think a private institution should be able to believe that a diverse student body is in the best interests of students in terms of creating the ideal environment for students to prepare for the world and have impact. It would make no sense for top universities to only have white and asian students despite the protests of people like @dachuda86 (who is a known white nationalist on this board).

There's nothing wrong with looking at a students background and see the obstacles they had to overcome in considering their applications. A student who has had to overcome obstacles whether it's based on socioeconomics often tied to race, a disability, or a broken family deserves extra consideration because it take resilience and character to do that. Why shouldn't that quality count as much as test scores?

And it's exactly why it's not the same as a restaurant. Because in a restaurant there it doesn't matter what your character is, your intelligence, your test scores, or how much extracurricular activity you've done since you are there to eat.

You go to university not to get service but to have an impact on the world and improve yourself. The admissions process in inherently subjective because it is based on alignment of a student body to the school's values.

Ziggy likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Top students is a great model for Texas
    The lower students can go to College Station
    ;)