1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] TR3N (Tron 3)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

TRON 3: Disney Exec Says “Time Is Right” for the Sequel

Tron: Legacy
    didn't exactly light the world on fire when it was released nearly 10 years ago, but its $400 million global box office haul was more than enough to convince its fans that it deserved a sequel. That sequel never came, but the cult status of the entire Tron franchise has done nothing but grow in the years since. The hype for more Tron has never been higher than it is today, and it appears that all of those patient fans may finally have something to celebrate. The folks at Disney are most definitely looking into a sequel to Tron: Legacy, with many feeling that the time is now right to explore more of the story.

During an appearance on the Light the Fuse podcast, Disney music executive Mitchell Leib opened up about the future of the Tron franchise, having overseen the production of Daft Punk's beloved work on Tron: Legacy. Not only has Leib been talking with the music duo about a sequel, but he also confirmed that there was already a script that Disney really likes. Now with Disney+ alive and thriving, Tron 3 may actually happen.

[​IMG]

"Now with Disney+, I think there's opportunities to be creating content that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to create, you know because we're in the movie business," Leib explained. "We're in the big movie business, and unless it's a big movie idea we don't make small movies. We're only after basically billion dollar box office hits. On the one hand, that's great. On the other hand, that's a very narrow sleeve to operate in, and Disney+ I think is going to afford us the opportunity to expand and get much more diversified in the kind of content we can create. And Daft Punk has a bit of a television and movie development company, and all kinds of things they're into, businesses they're into. So I had lunch with Paul Hahn to further a bit of a starting conversation that we're looking at making a sequel to Tron now, we're looking at Tron 3. And we've got a great script, I mean a really phenomenal script that we're very excited about. Whereas the timing wasn't right to have done it years ago, I think we feel like the timing is right now, and I feel like we've learned a lot of lessons from that last movie."

Leib went on to say that one of the most important pieces to the puzzle would be getting Daft Punk on board for another Tron, which is something the group is apparently open to. Disney also seems hopeful that Tron: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski would return to helm the third movie.

"The right and first thing to do is to try and bring Daft Punk and would they want to," he said. "And the answer is they're always open tp anything and everything, but you gotta take it as it comes and see what the circumstances are. We don't even know who would be directing it, I mean we're hopeful Joe Kosinski would come back and do another one."

"A lot of things gotta fall into the right places, but certainly there's an open-mindedness to it," Leib added.

So there isn't anything incredibly concrete about these Tron 3 hopes, outside of what seems to be a completed script. That's more than enough to get the ball rolling, though, and Leib's words make it clear that Disney certainly has its eye on exploring more in the world of Tron.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

SWEET!!!

[​IMG]

Jontro, tinman, donkeypunch and 6 others like this.
  3. Beezy

Beezy Member

The original is a favorite of mine because I watched it a ton as a child - we owned it on a weird format called CED (Capacitance Electronic Disc - basically video records).
    [​IMG]

I enjoyed the sequel and would gladly watch the next movie.

OkayAyeReloaded and Xerobull like this.
  4. Xerobull

My neighbor had this disk and we watched it a lot. I was too poor for even a color tv but 4-5 families on my street had these disk players.

Beezy likes this.
  5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be honest, I was excited for Tron Legacy. I saw Tron Legacy the opening weekend. I remember nothing from Tron Legacy. So I'm not sure bringing all the same people back for another sequel is a great idea. But I'll probably still check it out.

6. Xerobull

Jared Leto Seemingly Revealed The Title Of The New TRON Movie In Since Deleted Tweet
    [​IMG]
    We found out that Disney was officially moving forward with a third Tron movie earlier today, and star Jared Leto (Suicide Squad) now appears to have let the title slip in a since deleted Tweet...

[​IMG]

News broke earlier today that Disney was moving forward with a follow-up to Tron: Legacy with Garth Davis (Lion; Mary Magdalene) taking over directing duties. The trade report also confirmed that Jared Leto would star, and the Morbius actor now appears to have revealed a little more than he should have in a since deleted Tweet.

Leto took to social media to confirm his involvement with the project, but the original version of the Tweet you see below included the movie's title: Tron: Ares.

[​IMG]

This could be a working or placeholder title (the movie hasn't been officially greenlit yet, so it's obviously very early days), but the fact that Leto removed the Tweet so quickly certainly suggests that he let the title slip before either realizing his error or getting a telling off from the House of Mouse.

What do you guys think of the title? Are you looking forward to another adventure in The Grid? Let us know in the usual place.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Tron Legacy sucked.

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Cool, look forward to it.

I enjoyed Tron as a kid and the sequel along with Daft Punk's soundtrack.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Beezy

Beezy Member

The Tron Uprising cartoon was actually pretty good. Only lasted 1 season.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I saw this thread, the theme to the video game immediately started playing in my head.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I remember the sound track being pretty damn good

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I was going to say we need a new TRON video game.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Xerobull

14. Beezy

Beezy Member

Love Peters, hate Leto.

15. Xerobull

I think he's the 'villain', so that's good, right?

Timing of this movie is good with the rise of AI. I personally love Tron so am looking forward to it.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

END OF LINE

MadMax likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

"Feng Shui Ain't Got S**t On Tron, Son"

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Love Tron. Love Daft Punk. Olivia Wilde was insanely distracting in Legacy. Loved the arcade game. Not a Jared Leto fan. Will see.

Beezy, Xerobull and IBTL like this.
  19. Xerobull

20. PhiSlammaJamma

They are tied to a look and feel for the world. If they can somehow modify that to make it different, but maintain some elements to make it Tron, that will go a long way to paving a path forward. They can always write a great story, and develop great characters, but they are tied to the look and feel and that limits the freshness they can reward us with. I did like the style, aesthetic, look and feel of the last movie though. Especially the bikes.

#20 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024