1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My fears of reopening schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Aug 1, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love to hear Trump's response to that one....LOL

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Individual at Humble ISD’s Woodcreek Middle tests positive for coronavirus
    Savannah Mehrtens | on August 8, 2020
    https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/...at-Humble-ISD-s-Woodcreek-Middle-15469478.php

Unfortunately, when a lot more schools start opening up in 3 weeks there will probably be a lot more stories like this. In the past 3 weeks 31,045 more people have tested positive for Coronavirus in Harris County alone, and 358 more people have died.

As for the rest of Texas, 187,134 more people have tested positive in 3 weeks, and 4,712 more have died. That's over 1,500 Texans a week.

Opening schools and sports just doesn't make sense to me right now, but I know many disagree.

#122 deb4rockets, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I spent three or four days constructing an appeal to my school, for why my students and I should not have to meet in the classroom. It came down to this:

"Please minimize risk of serious illness or death for my students and me." That's the teacher side.
    The school side is "$$$."

DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I sent an email to Human Resources at the District I sub in with several questions about testing, etc...I didn't even get a response. I had also written an email last month to the Superintendent who has never replied.

I'm not subbing there this year. Last year I subbed in well over 20 schools just to get the type of assignments I specialize in, which are in Special Needs classrooms. That's just far too many schools and students and too much risk of getting the virus for me right now, working in classes requiring so much close contact. It's not worth the small amount they pay me, even as a certified teacher. Luckily. I have military retirement to fall back on right now.

Corrosion, RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is why teachers need to just walk out. They have no voice, yet without them, there is no school.

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The results might be different here in Texas. The UK has 11 times more people than Harris County yet less cases per week. Our cases are higher in a much more condensed space of land with a much higher rate per person.

Another huge difference is that healthcare is free for those in the UK. Many here are sadly racking up thousands of dollars in bills just to be treated.

#129 deb4rockets, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

this past week report include info on children

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932e3.htm

Summary
    What is already known about this topic?

Most reported SARS-CoV-2 infections in children aged <18 years are asymptomatic or mild. Less is known about severe COVID-19 in children requiring hospitalization.

What is added by this report?

Analysis of pediatric COVID-19 hospitalization data from 14 states found that although the cumulative rate of COVID-19–associated hospitalization among children (8.0 per 100,000 population) is low compared with that in adults (164.5), one in three hospitalized children was admitted to an intensive care unit.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Children are at risk for severe COVID-19. Public health authorities and clinicians should continue to track pediatric SARS-CoV-2 infections. Reinforcement of prevention efforts is essential in congregate settings that serve children, including childcare centers and schools.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Two days should be good to air everything out... problem solved.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm sure you've been asked before but what district ?

I saw tonight on the news that most of the districts in the Houston area are going virtual for at least the first 4-6 weeks while only Cy Fair - the district my kids are in - is going to go with in class learning out of the gate tho we have the option for virtual classes which we opted to go with.

I've got one kid pissed off and the other happy with the decision ....

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Two days ? Is that some kinda joke ?

Someone needs a good kick in the ass.

15. Amiga

Supporting Member

It’s enough time to clean the school and not much of anything else. Good luck to those students.

hey, we are in the same district. I think the split choice, while it’s nice to have, is probably a disaster to manage and ultimately ineffective with both groups suffering from a lack of resources and single focus —- but Cyfair has done wonder with very limited resources, so we will have to wait and see.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Pretty pointless IMO.

It doesn't clean the people ....

I moved to the place I'm at now specifically for the schools - the elementary , jr high and high school were all nationally accredited at the time and Cy Fair was the best district in the Houston area by far. It's still better than most.

I have a feeling you are right , this split choice is going to be a disaster. I don't see it lasting more long at all. Getting kids to effectively social distance would be like herding ****ing cats. All it takes is one case to set off a tidal wave of infections.

Most of the other districts around us have put off in person classes for some period of time and are going virtual in the mean time.
    I pretty much expect Cy Fair to do the same thing eventually. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

I really wanted to send them back to school , they learn better in class and they need all the life experiences / social interaction but we just don't want to assume that risk. I'm probably high risk being over 50 with hypertension and a small fiber neuropathy and my wife has underlying issues of her own. It just didn't seem worth the gamble.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's college, out of state.

To review:
    Masks are not 100% effective.
    Social distancing is not 100% effective (e.g. air conditioning can spread it).
    The students are not in "a bubble."
    School toilets etc. will not be continuously cleaned.
    If someone tests positive, they don't have to tell the school.
    People do not need to be tested before going to school.
    The school is hiding how many cases of the virus it has.
    Asymptomatic people can spread the virus.

OK, your school is not remotely safe. That's how much they care about your kids and you.

Corrosion and DVauthrin like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

8:30 AM
    8:50 AM
    Love the Commodore.

KingCheetah and RayRay10 like this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

20. Amiga

Supporting Member

I also want to send them back into the classrooms for same reasons. I was hoping that CyFair focused on virtual only for 2020/21 so that they can do the absolute best job possible to make it as effective as possible. They can always transition to in-person when it make sense to. There is a large gap with virtual and that was the gap I was hoping CyFair and other ISD focused on closing - that did happen to some extend, but not as much as I hoped for.

From the somewhat limited info I have so far, I don't fear for my kids being back as related to their health. But I do fear them bringing it home and spreading. If my wife and I are infected and can't take care of them, there is no one else to take care of them. They are all elementary age and we also have a 2 years old child. My responsibility to my family is why I keep them virtual for now. I have also turn two of our bedroom into dedicated "classroom" so hopefully that help with the virtual learning.

RayRay10 likes this.