1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can SOMEONE, ANYONE PLEASE reel in the Mad Scientist??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Aug 7, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Keep dreaming.

We are winning the championship, no one getting fired.

2. Nook

Nook Member

These are the players the Rockets will give time to at the 4-5 once Gordon comes back........... Tucker, Covington, House, Harden and Green.... that is sufficient.

At small forward you are going to see....... Harden, Gordon, House

In the back court you will see: Westbrook, Gordon, Harden (not much), McLemore......

The Rockets have sufficient bodies to play the 96 minutes available at the 4-5..... they will attempt to add someone to cut Tucker's minutes next year.

Harden
    Westbrook
    Gordon
    Covington
    Tucker
    House
    Green
    McLemore
    Rivers

That is going to be the 9 man rotation...... in some games, for example elimination games we will likely see it go to 7-8 deep....

D-rock likes this.
  3. ballgame

ballgame Member

You really believe we can win a championship playing three smaller interior players large amount of minutes?? If you fall for that line of thinking, I got some Stock I need to talk to you about.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

U really believe our championship hopes hinge on playing some bench scrubs 10-15 minutes just so coach can say he handed out token scrub minutes and expanded the rotation? Carrol, Luc, and Bruno are the answer to nothing.

people talk like the thing holding back the Rockets from being a sure title winner is not giving minutes to some end of bench scrubs

D-rock likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike D’Antoni literally developed two 26 year old athletes that came straight from the trash can and is giving them both heavy minutes, and some of you guys are still complaining. Astonishing. I’m not sure what else he can possibly do.

Also, Popovich didn’t play DeMarre either, on a crappier team. Why do you think that is?

D-rock likes this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd be elated if that were to happen - but knowing MDA, I aint putting money on it... and I did cash a championship ticket when we last won it all... lol

But there will be some unforeseen injuries (prob due to excessive minutes)... or we'll get cold from the arc for a period or in clutch time - while the other team will keep rolling up cheap easy inside points on our small ball lineup... I hope I'm wrong - but I can already see it happening...

but you are right about 1 thing - no one is getting fired... his contract is up - and will not be renewed... ;)

D-rock likes this.
  7. ballgame

ballgame Member

This is exactly what I'm saying! If you look at that lineup, you really only have 3 Front Court Players; Covington,Tucker and Green. You need that other player in the Front Court! I have no doubt if they meet up with the Jazz in Round 1, the Rockets will beat the Jazz. But they are matching up against a big team, which will wear down our front court players. Same if they were to play the Lakers in Round 2 and once again, I think they will beat the Lakers.

Which brings us to the problems! The teams I think the Rockets will have problems with, the Blazers and the Clippers. Teams who have good wing players and multiple bigs. I'm NOT saying Luc, Bruno or DeMarre will bring anything significant by playing 10-15 minutes a game other than resting our main players. If they can get meaningful, effective minutes, it will give your main players; Tucker, Green and Covington fresher legs in the 4th Qtr. when it counts.

WEARING DOWN YOUR BEST PLAYERS HAS PROVEN TO BE A KILLER IN THE LATER ROUNDS.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm just hoping the abbreviated season helps... maybe without the grind of a continuous full regular season under MDA, our guys will have enough gas in their tanks to sustain a lengthy post season run...

I'm sure we'll be seeing shorter than average rotations... and the defense we're running is very taxing... but hopefully the shorter schedule will allow us to sidestep the exhaustion factor...

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is no doubt about this. It seems none of these 3 players are ready to contribute at all. Has Carroll turned into Joe Johnson?

10. ballgame

ballgame Member

Only 2 or 3 teams are going to have everything. Last year, we had Faried, who was playing effectively during the season. The Playoffs came and MDA didn't want to play him! You mean to tell me Faried didn't deserve minutes after he played effectively during the season?

And since the Rockets couldn't rebound and lacked energy off the bench, you mean to tell me we couldn't have used him during last years Playoff Run??

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR MDA

11. ballgame

ballgame Member

What scares me is the way they looked against Portland. No energy!! I know it's still early but the way MDA has them playing, It is not logical to expect anybody to exert twice as much energy against the person they are playing against over a 7-Game Series and still be effective!

It showed itself just before the NBA stoppage. They were tired and wore down after 10 - 11 games of playing Small Ball.

EVERYBODY WEARS OUT AT SOMETIME

Little Bit and kjayp like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's usually been the Rockets' opponents.

Rockets are 3-1 in this 8 game bubble.

Your panic is premature.

13. ballgame

ballgame Member

I'm not saying those players are anything special. I really wish they would have kept Hardenstein! I think he would have been able to give us 10-15 effective minutes. Just enough to rest our main front court players when we matchup against the better teams.

14. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

"Jimmy played pretty good."

"These are Jimmy's training shoes.

"Yeah! Jimmy couldn't jump at all before he got these. Jimmy was like you.

15. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't think it's premature at all. You remember when we matched up against Golden State in the 2017 or 2018 Playoffs and MDA did the exact same thing, he scaled back his lineup and wore down his team and finally he had no choice but to play Ryan Anderson. He brought him in game 6 or 7 but he was largely ineffective because he hadn't played in months!

He has to give his players minutes during the season, so they have some sort of rhythm when they come off the bench. In addition, it can only help the main players because it keeps them fresh!

kjayp likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are misremembering.

You really should research and not rely on memory.

There was only ONE game in WCF vs. GSW that MDA played less than 8 man rotation and the Rockets WON that game.

And during that 65 win season, Rockets averaged a 9 man rotation throughout the playoffs until CP3 and Nene were injured in WCF.

And Luc was already injured before postseason began and played sparingly until his body could not keep going. Brandan Wright was a late signing but could never get healthy.

Ryno fell out of the rotation even before the regular season ended. He lost his shot, then he lost his nerve. Iso Joe played but he looked like he was 100 years old vs. GSW.

Rockets had good depth that season but key players became unavailable for different reasons at the wrong time.

#36 D-rock, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Old not mad scientist.

18. Nook

Nook Member

He may be old but he is still the best and most innovative offensive mind in the NBA.

I was not a fan of him when the Rockets hired him and has concerns based on his inability to take responsibility in the past......

None of that changes the fact that offensively he is amazing.

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Mike is becoming a defensive genius right before our eyes.

Bubble life. LOL

Nook likes this.
  20. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think Mike is an offensive genius and yes, he is developing into a Defensive Stallworth as well BUT if he is electing to play this style of ball, one would figure after all his PLAYOFF FAILURES, he would have learned to NOT shorten his roster, going into the playoffs!

You would think someone with as much knowledge of the game and offensive prowess, would have learned the simplicity of the game....which is if you play someone too many minutes, he will eventually wear down!