1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wow. Is this how you really think? You claim it's impossible to prove that Chauvin WASN'T racist in his approach? The burden of proof should be that he WAS racially motivated in his approach. In watching the video that was just released, it's 100% clear that Floyd was resisting from the very beginning, and did so for a full 10+ minutes straight.

Yet we have months of looting and violence based on this incident? With the population not having access to this video?

"It's easier to fool somebody, than to prove to somebody that they have been fooled...." The media completed fooled the American public in this situation. You've been duped.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I didn’t see anything in the leaked video that changes my mind in any way about what happened concerning George Floyd.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Also... the prosecution team was having to deny they were the ones that leaked it.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  4. bigtexxx

So you conclude after watching the video that the police were racially motivated?

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say it's inconclusive. Would they forcefully arrest a white person in white collar clothing if they got a call about a fake 20 for buying cigs?

The 9 minutes kneeing someone on the neck tells me vitriolic animosity was the cause. Was that animosity racially motivated. Well we can never know the true intentions of Chauvin.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did Chauvin have to call Floyd a slur for the latter's race to have been a factor in how the situation was handled?

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

For some reason a lot of people think that social etiquette changing to where it's condemned to say the word "******" means that racism is solved. More than likely those people also have very racist tendencies.

8. bobrek

Can you conclude that Chauvin wasn't?

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. bigtexxx

That is NOT the burden of proof. Your "guilty until proven innocent" approach is not consistent with America's principles.

10. bigtexxx

It's inclusive that this was racially motivated, yet we have months of racial protests, because the people didn't have access to the full video. That is criminal.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Legally it doesn't matter that much whether Chauvin was racially motivated or not. He's not being charged with a hate crime. This video does show again that he was punishing Floyd, essentially torturing him, and he did it to the point of Floyd's death and continued even after it appeared that Floyd was dead.

One, it's not the role of LEO to punish people. An LEO that gets in their mind their role is to administer punishment is a danger to society. Two, that he kept it on even when Keung couldn't find a pulse shows he was sadistic.

mtbrays and RayRay10 like this.
  12. bobrek

I must have missed where he was criminally charged with racism

mtbrays, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  13. bigtexxx

You're off topic. The point was whether this was racially motivated or not. It's inconclusive based on the video, since Floyd resisted for over 10 straight minutes. We've seen over 2 months of racial protests, violence and a full on racial pity party in the US, and yet this important video was withheld from the public's viewing. This trial has already played out in the court of public opinion, and yet we weren't able to see Floyd's resistant behavior while he was drugged up on 8 different drugs in his body.

The police shouldn't have put the knee on his neck to constrict his breathing. That's not the point I'm making.

14. Nook

Nook Member

My conclusion is that a white officer murdered a black man on camera while other officers watched and did nothing.

Do I believe that they handled the situation differently than they would have with a white man? Yes I do based on history and my own personal experiences and observations.

If you feel differently, that is your choice and an opinion you are entitled to have.

What I can tell you that the leaked video did not in anyway alter my opinion in any material way.

mdrowe00, Jimmy Chase and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

The full video doesn’t change anything. The majority of people believe the officer murdered a man and race played a part of it.

Having the most divisive President on racial issues in 100 years did not help the situation.

Jimmy Chase and RayRay10 like this.
  16. bigtexxx

Very poor logic on your part. Your mind was made up months ago - you were fooled, and you won't be convinced otherwise. You're extrapolating based on unrelated events that this was racially motivated. We all agree that the officers were wrong to constrict Floyd's breathing - it's not necessary to continue to discuss that. The question now for me is whether it was racially motivated. We have had months of senseless violence, looting and racial discussions based on this incident. And now with the new information, to me it's clear that Floyd was resisting police for over 10 minutes and was a physical threat to them. To say the police were racially motivated is not founded, given the new video evidence. It's criminal that the video wasn't released earlier.

Astrodome likes this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Playing the hits in this thread, ooo baby!

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

There is nothing in the released video that is likely to sway anyone’s opinion. People reach there own conclusions and a large part of the American public believe race played a part in the death of Floyd.

You certainly are entitled to have a different opinion but there is no valid basis to believe the majority of people will have a different opinion now.

If you want to have a debate on what denotes racism, you may do so in another thread you create.

Also if you really believe the months of protests and riots and the swing in public opinion concerning racial issues is because of a single incident, then you are obtuse.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I would agree that no single incident is "conclusive" evidence of racial bias in law enforcement. One can always rationalize what transpires in a particular event. But when you have to keep doing that, over and over again, that is indicative of a systemic racial bias. (And, no, that doesn't mean every police officer or police chief is a racist, or even that a majority of them are.) If you choose not to believe that, well that's your choice, but I think most of the country can see that's what is happening and that it needs to be addressed.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The initial arrest video shows me that Lane and Keung were pretty professional in how they handled Floyd. Floyd was acting hysterical and difficult at the onset. Still doesn't change that Chauvin used excessive force and murdered him. Chauvin is the only one I think that deserves prison.

RayRay10 likes this.