1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. adoo

adoo Member

We've seen that INTC's delay was the tailwind pushing AMD's stock price > 12% in late July;
    today, we're seeing that AMD stock price is also reaping the benefits of pin-ball action from AAPL

[​IMG]
    AMD announced the availability of the new AMD ™ Pro 5000 Series GPUs
    to Bring Exceptional Graphics Performance to Updated 27-inch iMac

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-radeon-pro-5000-series-161300149.html

CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man! AMD is really going full force here. Haha, I can't believe the times I don't have options on AMD it goes on some crazy run, just my luck lately. I hope you guys are making a lot.

Are you looking at any future calls on AMD or just riding what you have? This might keep going easily, especially if the good news keeps coming. Intel was supposedly making a GPU, I haven't heard a lot lately but I think they should go back and fix their cpu problems...

This article makes their supposed gpu sound promising but l don't see it even getting close to an rtx performance type gpu, especially on their attempt at a relaunch after years of being out - 22 years now? There are some positives maybe in the future (like if they stick with it, more competition is great) but this cpu mess they're in, apple leaving and various other issues are all stacking up at once.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xe-graphics-all-we-know

This really does remind me - but on a much larger scale now when AMD had superior multi core processors and Intel only had HT initially. Then Intel came back with core2duo/i3/5/7/multi core xeon procs etc and then basically got lazy. I definitely don't want Intel gone but it's nice forcing them to hopefully innovate and be competitive, it'll be good for consumers too.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@CCity Zero For AMD I'm only holding shares and short a put, wasn't expecting price to go up so soon.

Looking ahead, Nov calls could be good - earnings will be late Oct, and *rumors* are for next gen cpu and gpu to launch in Oct as well; but Oct premiums are much cheaper than Nov.

About intel - what I've read from semi-reliable sources (sources that have gotten things right in the past but are not official news and must be taken with some scepticism), the igpu on upcoming 10nm laptop chips are better than expected, but the discrete gpu is a fail. Their upcoming 10nm server chips are a fail (worse than their own 14nm chip's performance). Their Aurora super computing contract is in serious danger of getting derailed - it's due for delivery next year and was depending on 7nm XE GPUs to meet power consumption limits of the contract, the decision to outsource production to TSMC is likely for this project, but it could be too late. The project could get delayed, or they may have to outsource the GPUs to Nvidia (who seem to piss of everyone in the industry including apple, microsoft, samsung and qualcom) or even AMD. Intel still have tons of resources to turn things around, but I wouldn't worry about them for the next 2 years.

Closed the short on KODK at $13.40 cos I have to log off; not brave enough to hold it while I'm not monitoring haha.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. adoo

adoo Member

C City Zero, this was my post last Sat.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely agree with you, I've also heard some rumors on the discrete being a flop too. Really nice moves on the stock/put on AMD and then that KODK short - I also definitely agree with you on not leaving it without watching, I've learned some fun lessons - not watching a stock like that.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks so much man, and sorry for missing that.

7. adoo

adoo Member

before the arrival of former IBMer [​IMG], AMD's market Cap was ~` 1/40th that of INTC.

after today's run up,

[​IMG]
    AMD's market cap is ~ 1/2 that of INTC

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is wild.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Lolol

10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Teladoc Health to merge with Livongo in $18.5B cash and stock deal

Aug. 5, 2020 6:53 AM ET|About: Teladoc Health, Inc. (TDOC)|By: Gaurav Batavia, SA News Editor
    Teladoc Health (NYSE:TDOC) -1.3% to merge with Livongo (NASDAQ:LVGO) +2.7%, whereby each share of Livongo will be exchanged for 0.592 shares of Teladoc Health plus cash consideration of $11.33 per share representing a total transaction value of $18.5B.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3600630-teladoc-health-to-merge-livongo-in-18_5b-cash-and-stock-deal

Managed to sell off LVGO to buy TDOC for the arbitrage, market didn't price the terms of the deal yet.

11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

[​IMG]

Square surges after reporting 64% jump in revenue, more customers using Cash App

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I didn't like RIOT or MARA long term and and was just moving contracts.. But wow. I'm still not investing but might look at contracts again, as long as not priced in (assuming this slows) they were low risk/high reward previously.

#11092 CCity Zero, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Up 7.5% today, priced @$219.

14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Damn this turned out terrible. Somehow both companies down a lot.

15. adoo

adoo Member

i didn't follow ur comment about arbitrage

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

When the merger executes, LVGO holders get 0.59 of a TDOC share +$11.30. At the time LVGO was $160 and TDOC was $235.

$235 * 0.59 + 11.3 = $150, so I thought TDOC was a bit "cheaper".

Doesn't matter now, TDOC is down to $203 atm, and LVGO will go down with it. Sigh. On hindsight should've just sold LVGO and not touched TDOC. Not sure how I feel about TDOC; LVGO had better growth.

17. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

So does it count as a win that I haven't shorted either company (or anything since this post)? Opposite of FOMO lol..Watch Carvana earnings crater in ten minutes....

saitou likes this.
  18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

definitely a win haha

19. adoo

adoo Member

there is something called implied goodwill, an intangible asset

the merger was an arms length transaction; the outgrowth of that agreement was an implied goodwill be added to TDOC's balance sheet

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

OSTK was a $2-$3 stock in March. I'm still trying to let that sink in.

Sajan likes this.