1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] NBA China Academies Ran Labor Camps

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

China is currently hostile towards the NBA because of a tweet from Morey. They’re still not showing any games and have ceased all these sponsorship opportunities and deals that they made with the league right? The NBA is now caught in another terrible situation with these basketball beatdown camps in the epicenter of human rights violations. How much ass will they have to kiss, and how much of their principles will they have to throw away to mend this relationship? It’s just not a good look.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. A lot of corporate support for the BLM movement now is due to the cultural shift in recent time. That was not the case just a few years ago. I wouldn't fancy the leaderships of these companies sudden care about whatever lives matter. Look how the NBA and NFL changed their tune about the kneeling thing from last year to this year.

The lives of the Chinese athletes don't matter to the NBA because the Chinese market doesn't care how these kids are being treated.

daywalker02 and B-Bob like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder if Yao Ming grew up in that kind of tall man puppy mill.

4. jayland

jayland Member

Yeah corporations will always do what they believe is most profitable for them. Since many younger consumers these days want companies to take an active role in promoting social change, more companies that want those demographics as a customer base are now willing to do so.

As far as people in China not caring about the "abuse" of Chinese athletes, some of it may be due to cultural differences. In many Asian cultures spanking kids to discipline them has been a commonly accepted practice for a long time. There's the joke of strict Asian parents spanking their kids for not getting straight A's but stuff like that does actually happen.

Easy likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

During Yao's time, many of them are peasant poor where these mills were ways to get out of their poverty while making their country proud in international competitions.

I don't know wtf is going on these days, but it's still ultracompetitive in China where people get churned over for the "greater good", whatever that means...

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Communist countries are notorious in "farming" their athletes from very young age. This has been going on for decades.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Lovemachine2000

LOL at all the casual racism masquarading as concern for human rights in this thread. A bunch of brainwashed lot parrotting MSM lies while accusing others of having no "critical thinking skills", oh the sweet irony.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Forced abortions against the will of the mother
    Muslim concentration camps like it's Nazi Germany
    No freedom of religion or press
    Continuous aggression against surrounding neighbors both at land and sea
    Breaking of promises any time they can get away with it (CCP's word isn't worth a bag of crap)
    Hong Kong population beatdown before they even legally had the right to take over their laws and government
    Tiananmen Square (and pretty much every form of protest like it)
    Disappearing dissidents (and organ harvesting while at it)
    President/dictator government with thinner skin than cheap 1-ply toiler paper (Winnie the Poo says hi!)
    A desire to control and silence all forms of communication around the world like they tried to do to Morey (not just in China which they have already achieved)

The list goes on. I feel sorry for the oppressed Chinese population who are like Plato's cave, so far in the dark that they have no idea what true freedom and life looks like. Sure, we have abuses of power like Portland going on, but at least we are aware of it and can legally fight it, protest it, report it on the news/social media, and ultimately allow for our vote to hold accountable those who caused the abuse or permitted it to happen. Or our guns if needed, the ultimate safeguard against an abusive and oppressive government, just like the founding fathers.

clutchdabear and payaso like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Times have changed, while this is still going on, the OP article also implied that 1 academy is doing well.

This is very likely due to the Zhejiang province being privileged and quite wealthy while XinJiang is poor and Shandong doesn't care about proper further education.

I think the NBA really does not differentiate.

Of course you treat players better in financially more advanced areas like Shanghai and surrounding.

Ask Yao.

(And of course there are forces behind curtains that do not want US companies and orgs to do well, after all the US and China are still in the middle of a 'Trade War')

#29 daywalker02, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. payaso

payaso Member

This... kids might as well be in a Tyson chicken farm...

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes...and no. Will respond to B-bobs reply below (which I mostly agree with), but the basic trade off is that often the best way to influence human rights issues with a foreign country is to trade with them. No trade, little influence. You influence things by having interactions with them. Over time, this tends to improve human rights. We've long used idealism as a foreign policy determiner..and it hasn't really helped anywhere. This may be an exception to that, but that's the basic history of it.

Well, capitalism isn't really political..it's just a description, as you allude to, of how things work. I would disagree though with it applying any kind of moral analysis. On the surface, that can be the case, but then consumers can use moral judgements any time they choose to. If they don't like a company's moral stance, they can simply stop buying their products, regardless of any other factors. It is worth noting this seldom happens, but that's just a reflection of the actual value consumers tend to place on these things. This has become a LOT more prevalent in recent years, however, with the counter culture and other movements having large impacts on business. China could well be the same, but its tricky. Pull out, and you potentially lose access to a HUGE and GROWING market. Stay in, though, and you might well lose lots of your current viewers back home. It's a tricky dance for the NBA currently. As I indicated above, if you pull out of these academies, you also lose the ability to stop any of the various abuses cited...so you aren't really changing the actual situation, you're merely removing yourself from the negative ramifications of it.

of course they don't....China's control of the media and internet makes sure of that.

As for your remedy, maybe yes indeed. As I stated above (which was the topic and our platform in actual debate, many many years ago back in high school---we advocated removal of restricting trade for human rights abuses, and we never lost a debate), maintaining trade means maintaining influence, and over time, this curbs the human rights abuses. But I think things have changed now, and we have other factors at play. Not the least of which is returning the manufacturing of all the goods we buy from China back to the US (and Western Europe). This has good impacts for us, and is also a tremendous tool to leverage. China can't maintain their economic prosperity without outside markets. Trump is right when he says that ultimately, any 'trade war' with China results in their losing. They simply have much more to lose than we do. It would be an annoyance for us to lose access to their goods, which would likely be overcome fairly quickly. But it would be absolutely devastating to China. The flip side being lost access to their market in the future, which has been why we've 'allowed' these transgressions in the past.

I will say though that I've been surprised by the various recent reports of abuses there. I had thought China had moved past these things, but it seems they're if not still in place, perhaps even becoming worse (China's treatment of the Uighur's is even more appalling than what they're doing at the academies, although in a similar vein).

BigMaloe, Invisible Fan, Easy and 2 others like this.
  12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of capitalism works.

The key to generating more capital over the long term is to invest with a margin of safety, so that your gains compound, but your losses don’t.

Not investing in China is the very definition of this idea, as total loss of capital is inevitable when investing in a country that can nationalize your product whenever it chooses.

Executives wanting to raise their stock short term in order to seize bonuses before they retire is the problem here. Capitalism maximizing capital generation clearly dictates NOT doing business in countries like China.

payaso likes this.
  13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I bet ESPN already knew about this and responded before it got out. Bro, who do you think makes all the merch in the NBA. Labor camps aren’t for training basketball players... they’re probably making that Jersey selling for a hundred bucks for a nickel. Let’s face it, China probably owns the NBA now. Looking at how China lends crazy money that no one can ever pay back. This COVID thing has been a blessing for the NBA taking back sovereignty.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, it doesn't. China is on its way to becoming the world's largest market for...everything. Much of it is at the beginning of that surge, meaning China is an abolutely HUGE market. Yes, the possibility of certain things happening exists, but that doesn't mean the market isn't huge, and one that cannot be ignored.

FWIW....anything could be nationalized here as well, or broken up due to antitrust, or hit with very cumbersome regulations, etc. It's a factor any where, so by your own reasoning, then, nobody should do anything, which of course is pretty ridiculous.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

we don’t disagree. I don’t really misunderstand but I oversimplify on a basketball BBS. there is of course another layer beyond what you’re saying here as well, which is why so many of my VC buddies, like the NBA et al., are still very interested in China. Cheers.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Xinjiang is also where the Muslims concentration camps are. It's a hell hole they don't want the world to look into. But that's D&D materials I do not want to delve into.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You just started and stopped midway.

I see what you did there but IMO the drill of young athletes does not necessarily have much to do with the issues there.

Beating kids is archaic and should be acted upon but it's been common throughout some parts of the country.

Obviously ESPN wanted to shed light on various issues there so I am confused what the core issues are and the thread title is misleading.

Camps or bad educational methods in the academy?

No, the academies are not running 'labor camps', sure, labor camps exist, so do strict corporeal punishments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_conflict

And yeah people are shocked, but I am not, the issues started way before 2000.
    They just didn't cover it.

Lovemachine2000 and Easy like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

No, China is arguably worse that is has been in a long time. They have increased monitoring of their people, they have also harassed many foreigners to the point that they have left mainland China. They have work camps, they have human rights violations in Africa, they are in the process of absorbing Hong Kong and fully intend on taking Taiwan and the sea areas traditionally aligned with Japan.

FWIW Not everyone in China agrees with the CCP, but the majority do.

TMac'n and BigDog63 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3945511

For a small island they have some serious fire power to defend itself.

You have been a semi expert on the issue but even you cannot identify who is who in the Party.

As in every party there is not just one consciousness. Refuse to believe that.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That'a inaccurate information.

Tencent or PP Sports show most games except the Rockets games.

The national powerhouse CCTV 5 has ceased to broadcast but not the smaller networks.

I am partly using their streams so I should know.

Also showed some of the scrimmage games.

#40 daywalker02, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020