1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you like the Clint Capela-Robert Covington trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Are you a fan of this trade?

1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

253 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are the one who needs to do better you are still applying your logic to your post.

People arent machines there is a certain limit to the shot attempts they are comfortable with. If WB leaves PJ Tucker wont suddenly increase his shot attempts by 15 and Harden will increase his attempts by 10 more lol. Tucker will always be a low FGA player even if MDA gives him the green light to chuck as many shots as he wants he still wont take as many shots as WB cuz thats not his game

So no WB doesnt dramatically lower Harden's FGA cuz he is already maxed out, he can take more attempts but that takes a lot more energy and would lower his efficiency. Look at how worn out Harden is when he had Cp3 vs now. And they didnt even have microball back then. Cp3 is the Anderson situation again ok the dude is efficient but since he takes so few shots a game he is still underperforming his deal.

Cp3 is the same he has great efficiency but only putting up 17 4 6 when he is making 40M? Thats bringing too little to the table for his salary thats why Harden was carrying too heavy a load pre WB.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

this post does nothing to help what was said. terrible logic being all over the place. now you're bringing tucker into this for who knows what

do better

look at how worn out harden is? tf are you talking about, harden has had to work as hard if not harder this year than with cp3. and they are now forced to play unconventionally 100% of the time as a result, taking away an actual center to play with harden at all times, while putting someone next to him who can't shoot. Yeah harden's just saving so much energy. hilariously delusional. posts like this is the reason I don't take you seriously. it's just dumb w little to 0 actual credible logic. someone who can only look at a ppg perspective is comical and obviously isn't capable of fully dissecting the entire game and all that comes with it.

#262 YOLO, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    fckbandwagons likes this.
  3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I was a big Capela fan, but the truth was he was easily made a non-factor against smaller teams in the playoffs, and didn't have a diverse enough skillset to adapt, either offensively or defensively. He was great against KAT in the playoffs, but then again the Rockets probably beat the Timberwolves regardless.

Covington appears to bring a lot of the same qualities to the table, such as interior and weak side defense and shot blocking (TBH Capela was never quite as good at this as he should have been), plus he has active hands for steals. Obviously, he can shoot the three, which is a huge addition.

I do miss the rebounding and the alley oops from Harden, but that never seemed to work in the playoffs anyway. Dangerous weapon against bad regular season teams, but a non-factor in playoff series. On top of all that, Clint has been hurt most of the year, so he wasn't really able to help anyway.

4. amaru

amaru Member

I liked the trade at the time because RoCo is a better player and Capela was hurt anyway (I’m beginning to think he’s damaged goods). I was also disappointed with the way he consistently got punked by Draymond Green.

The memory of Capillow that stands out the most for me is him talking all that high powered stuff about how he wanted Golden State only to be a complete non factor on the court....on both ends (maybe a complete non factor is a bit of a stretch but you get the picture).

Im sure the Capillow stans and Rocker homers will be in my mentions but he needed to go. Clint couldn’t shoot, his defense was declining and I. The biggest moments he wilted. The only thing I miss about him was him being Harden’s vertical threat on drives.

jcmoon likes this.
  5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I only like this trade for the future.

I still believe we absolutely have to have and play a big man to be able to win it all. It MIGHT happen this year (the Bubble situation and time off helps), but for a full season, I have zero confidence small ball can get it done.

Happy to be wrong, though!

amaru likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

[
    You are assuming that small ball will work in the playoffs....which has not ever been proven.

DD

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Think it is safe to assume our lineup as constructed prior to the trade was not good enough to beat Lakers/Clippers/Bucks in a 7 game series -- not with CC playing as poorly as he had been. I thought the trade was essentially them tossing in the towel on this season and acquiring a player that would absolutely make them contenders going forward.

I seriously doubt we play microball next season. But who knows with MDMA!

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't believe we can beat the lakers or the bucks this year either....I hate small ball - think we gave up too much - and gave away too much.

DD

Kevooooo likes this.
  9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Capela brought some defense and rebounding something rockets lack. I mean ya it opens up the spacing need to play small ball, but like everyone here knows the clippers and Lakers or even the Nuggets have the Kyptonite to exploit this as its been talked about numerous times.

I just see another 2nd round exit if we get locked up with the Lakers. Tyson Chandler gonna come in when someone realizes we are getting out rebounded on the boards, and are down by 15 early in fourth quarter every game? Anthony Davis gonna eat houston alive, not trying to hate but still.

10. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

You're right, it is not proven the Rockets' current lineup will "work" in the playoffs. However, if we are not good enough to win it this year, I don't think Capela would have put us over the top either. His defense and rim protection were not at a high enough level to make a difference.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I liked Capela, but he was not healthy and limited Westbrook's effectiveness. He was also starting to be a liability on the perimeter against normal teams, not just GS. Covington has been a surprisingly good rim protector and has been as good as advertised defensively. Other than being a great rebounder, what advantage did Clint provide to the team over what Covington brings? Don't like that we gave up a first round pick, but other than that this trade has been a massive win.

jcmoon and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ever hear of the Hampton 5?

BallSoHarden likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, wish they could rewind everything they have done from the offseason forward. Should have not traded for WB and used those picks for Covington, while keeping Capela.

Paul
    Harden
    Tucker
    Covington
    Capela

We would be a much much better team.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Capela has serious issues keeping his sneakers on

Covington, I have never seen his shoe come off.

Clear upgrade

amaru and D-rock like this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think it's possible because I do think the Bubble + 4 months off allowed teams to basically reset. I think many agree small ball could win the first 2-3 months of a season -- that's all it will take to win the ring in the Bubble. But a full season of this would wear them down (the biggest knock on small ball).

16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Agree with the comment, but what a horrible and pretentious name to give yourselves. This may be the worst nickname for a group in sports. We went from your opponent wanting to rip your head off in the 90s to sipping tea in the Hamptons. I'm just glad TikTok wasn't around then, or my bet is they woulda gotten KD to wear the dress.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

You still have no idea what makes smallball so successful do you?

18. larsv8

I can pretty much guarantee you I have a much better understanding of this team than "lets go get Aaron Gordon" guy.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL - You really don't.

And the fact that you think you do is a bit sad.

20. larsv8

Whatever you say friend.