1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you like the Clint Capela-Robert Covington trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Are you a fan of this trade?

1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

253 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

If I was then I make myself cringe. LOL

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

D-rock likes this.
  3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this guy is a bad, bad man.

4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I like Covington a lot but seems like we overpaid a bit particularly with our 1st round pick

Capela has a decent contract, is still young and is a solid big so a lot of team should be interested in him

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ridiculous take.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

@RudyTBag RoCo still out here doing what he does. love it

had to bump this to pick up where we left off in March.

RudyTBag and BigShasta like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Still could really use a Capela type for when Russ sits. I really miss Hardens pick and roll ability. He does it now really just to switch the matchup and setup a step back.

RoCo/Ariza type of wings though are incredibly important and I’m glad we have him but in the process we robbed Harden of one of his greatest strengths and another tactic to suck in the defense to get better shots.

bro2044, ryan_98 and baller4life315 like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

In a way this is true but the lob has proven to be easily taken away, rendering the capela type useless on this current team. I'll take wide open 3s and a spaced court for harden to operate over that any day

As long as the backcourt is wb/harden, no pure pnr type centers will be playing on this team. they're going to plug whatever shooting big they can get or on the roster

jcmoon and rhee like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

I like both guys. RoCo is very good. Capela, I hope his heel heals.

D-rock likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

It’s not even close. Even on Roco’s worst shooting nights like vs Dallas he is a positive impact with defense, clutch tip in, clutch go ahead 3. Capela has one above average skill and that’s rebounding, but on his worst nights he looks like one of the worst players on the court and kills you.

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

Just for the record, the poll was about 70% "No" before the first Laker game. Then everyone started changing their votes.

Corrosion, D-rock and YOLO like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Pls don’t put Ariza in the same sentence with Roco. Roco is our center essentially, our only source of rim protection. There is only a handful of players that can play that role while being a high volume 3 point shooter and Ariza ain’t one of them.

jcmoon, seclusion and D-rock like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It would have been really nice if we had a decent f**king owner and Morey would have had enough pieces to get RoCo without losing Capela. There are a lot of times, particularly when Westbrook sits, in which Capela would really help.

But ultimately Morey had to make a call, and Covington raises our ceiling with Westbrook.

Corrosion, D-rock and ryan_98 like this.
  14. JD88

JD88 Member

Still rather have a C who is mediocre at defense but can spread the offense.

You can make up defense with positions and rotation.

Can't magically shoot the 3 without years of practice, and Capela was never going to get there.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ironically this post turned out to be true, Capela is damaged goods and Atlanta never saw him play this season.

This is a golden opportunity for the Rox to win a ring this year, we are better with a healthy RoCo than an injured Capela cheering on the sidelines.

On a sidenote Atlanta's FO is looking to be mildly incompetent. First they gave away Luka for Young (traded 20 yr old prodigy for poor man's Curry), then they traded for Chronically injured Capela and finally they traded up to pick bust De Andre Hunter lol.

Oh well there's still next year's draft. Maybe they can get Wiseman and trade Capela somewhere else.

16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Yes, I liked getting Covington but would have also like to get a big that can rebound.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

looking back at it, those picks used to get wb would have likely been enough to get RoCo. Based on what minny received in that trade that got RoCo here. What could have been

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela is chronically injured. He has plantar fascitis at such a young age and his game revolves around rim running and dunking.

He is also not exactly the most durable player ever, remember his season long flu game? Dude got the virus and played like a wimp the entire playoffs. Thats not his fault he got sick but a dude like that his chances of keeping away plantar fascitis enough to have a long and healthy career isnt good.

Getting rid of Capela is a blessing. We could take that 16M and use it on other players.

jcmoon likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ironically?

My posts are always true.

20. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Looking back.... yes because ultimately I think Covington will be a more important piece to a championship team than Capela will.

I liked Capela, a lot sometimes, but man was he inconsistent. He kind've got to a point where he wasn't really improving his game, and sometimes your stats can look good but it doesn't equate to winning.

Capela is a more coveted piece because he is an athletic big that can get 15 & 10 on any given night, defend relatively well, but sometimes... more often than he should... he disappears. I always wanted Capela to stay, but I think for our team to improve it was the right move. I have no idea how this season will finish, and I do think Rox should find a big and have smallball just be a great option, but we'll see what happens.

D-rock likes this.