1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thats why we are no longer talking about that 3% stat but instead now the long lasting effects.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

delete this fam

#9443 Joshfast, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  4. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

sorry for delayed response. It’s been pretty hectic in the ICU the last couple of weeks. I sadly do not know much about NK and the way they handled COVID. We have esteemed colleagues worldwide who have offered there experiences in different countries but NK is not one of them.

my personal and professional opinion with my very limited understanding of NK’s geopolitical realm would make me think they would have limited cases since travel is so restricted between cities and countries and their totalitarian government, I would assume, makes it easy For them to enforce strict lockdowns. I honestly would be surprised if they had a huge uncontrolled outbreak. But this is in no way based on facts just my personal and professional opinion without data to back that claim.

CCorn likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

hearsay from a bean counter high up in the central florida system says they have statistically been able to track outbreaks in Florida, specifically the Memorial Day weekend and July 4th. They say statistically they will see another large outbreak starting in October as kids start bringing it home. Right now Florida has roughly 30% committed parents to bring kids back to school. States they couldn't find much to track during the riots because most of it was happening as we started opening up. Also hospital beds are empty, and not specifically meaning COVID. Hospitals are in trouble cash flow wise because many people are afraid to go to the hospital in fear of getting COVID. This is also having in impact of deaths because many of these people are not rushing to the hospital like they probably should.

This isn't a politically motivated response. If anything, its much worse than many people understand. It could sink the medical system.

Nook, Amiga and BMoney like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

In your defense I was just tagging random people and.... well... apparently I tagged a doctor.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Was @Toycen429 taken?

Spreading the truth is a hard knock life

R0ckets03 likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

78 of 100 recovered coronavirus patients have "lasting cardiovascular damage"

From The Week:

But a recent study of 100 recovered coronavirus patients reveals 78 of them now have lasting cardiovascular damage even though a vast majority of them had mild cases of COVID-19 in the first place.

The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators.​

Amiga and PhiSlammaJamma like this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

A victory of beer over science?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rip Herman Cain

Invisible Fan and Space Ghost like this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Q for anyone that has had it or someone like @BallaDoc

I took my test today and my wife took hers yesterday. We are obviously sick as hell but it might still be a few days till we get results back so would love feedback on what is helpful with symptoms where regardless if you have it or not, there’s no harm in it.

My wife went to a clinic a few days ago and they gave her some antibiotics which hasn’t done anything. They wouldn’t give steroids cause of it suppressing your immune system or something.

Symptoms are flu like. Very light headed and exhausted. Feel feverish but not really having a high fever. Staying pretty low. Very stuffy. Some drainage.

Taking Musinex D mostly to try and prevent a sinus infection or pneumonia and NyQuil at night. Not sure if either of those are no-no’s.

Checking my heart rate now and it’s at 79 beats per minute which is high for me. Usually I’m around 60. Maybe the musinex causing that but a bit concerned there.

Jontro likes this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

looks like the public opinion has swung back to we are all gonna die.

RIP Hermann Cain

Nook likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hillbilly Bill Nye is the psa announcer we need.

No Worries likes this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No man this is completley false where are you getting this info?? Hospital beds are not empty people are coming in. It was during a period where elective procedures were done a very strict basis. Again, I have no clue where you’re getting your information from but places that peaked are doing pretty alright from covid but places like Florida and certain areas of Texas are feeling peak effects. Hospitals are not in trouble because “people are afraid to go in” . They’re or were in Trouble because of elective procedures, that’s where they make the money. Not medical admissions. They generally lose on that end. Tbh I thought we were in the clear but there’s a pretty sharp trend upswinging in deaths. They usually lag 1-2 months anyways

Kim likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hi dobro,
    I'm not a doctor, BUT: in my experience, mucinex (guifenesin) can raise heart rate, but mainly being nervous about COVID is the most probable cause.

In a peer-reviewed Nature paper, the Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide cough suppressant (sometimes in Nyquil, etc) was one of the few drugs that, in petri dishes, seemed to help the damned virus. So, in my very humble opinions for now, yes to mucinex, no to anything with DM (dextromethorphan hydrobromide (sp)). Just in an abundance of caution!
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-coronavirus-cough-syrup-medicine-ingredient-virus-worse
    (I know some of the key players on the research project and they're some of the best scientists I've ever known.)

18. Space Ghost

I think you need to reread my post. This is one hospital system in one region (in an area that is doing a better than the other areas). You are missing the key takes.
    Empty beds does not imply empty Covid beds. The take away is that hospitals are struggling financially. And yes, non Covid sick people are absolutely terrified going to the hospital, especially the at risk crowd (the ones who are more likely to be admitted). This goes beyond petty politics about deaths, face masks and opening up. Hospitals are struggling from all sides.

Additionally, we have not seen the worst.

There are serious concerns about supply chain management. For that vast majority of people, all they are concerned about is the basic needs found in the super market. This is primarily what we have been trying to maintain. On the back end, industry is struggling. And as a whole, our country has been doing terrible.

At this point, I am open to having Covid quarantine camps. Too many Americans act like they have a better grasp than they really do. If we start hauling people off to camps, then people will actually start social distancing. They will wear their masks out in public at all times, even if there is nobody withing 50' of them. They wont make unnecessary trips for ice tea and skittles or an occasional trip to a restaurant. Or have cookouts with friends and their families. There is no accountability anymore outside of going around faulting everyone.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah be careful with guifenesin I think it used to be prescribed as Guafed (sp) it's like turbo Sudafed and will cause a racing heart in a high percentage of patients.

20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

"Move along folks, nothing to see here.... go on, deaths are down, everything is fine. Get back to work, spend money, get your kids school clothes for when they go back. Maybe a trip to the beach."

B-Bob and No Worries like this.