1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donald Trump suggests DELAYING the election over claim it will be 'fraudulent'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Jul 30, 2020.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Edit: I'm being too mean to Trump today.
    The guy is dumb: Iet's just get his ass out.

2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

No...he should order the Secret Service to force the former president out of the White House based on the laws set out in our Constitution. If need be, he should have him arrested for trespassing.

There should be no immunity given to any politician after they leave office if it is found that they committed crimes while in office. Biden giving Trump any kind of immunity would set a bad precedent for the future.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Well, Nixon/Ford already set the precedent
    (I hate to say that)

4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I swear man, you are without a doubt the most annoying person I have ever had a wager with. I’m still right here, why would I miss seeing your tears when the Donald laid waste to all of his haters come November 5th? I will enjoy lighting up that expensive Cuban cigar and raising a cup for all of you TDS sufferers in here. Here’s to VICTORY in November!

5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I was thinking about that one when I typed up my post.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

"Keep hope alive" and btw the elections take place on November 3rd, 2020.

ROCKSS and RayRay10 like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I tend to think that's 100% correct. However I do want to hold some room for situational awareness. It could be that 100's of lives could be saved with the same result of Trump being disgraced in maybe even a more impactful way. I actually think that sending him to Moscow and HIM GIVING UP his citizenship actually is a pretty powerful statement that might cut deeper into the cult following.

Just imagine the impact that it will have to be able to tell his supporters that he literally gave up being an American to enrich himself and avoid justice. Yes... Trump will technically avoid Justice but I think about people like my parents, and some friends about what the country will be like if we are forced by Trump to go through this horrible situation that usually is only reserved for 3rd world dictators.

Trading immunity for leaving the office only for Trump to build a shadow presidency and propaganda network while wrapping himself in the flag, and the bible here in the US.... BAD move. Trading immunity and having him GIVE UP his citizenship might actually be more impactful than him having the ability to run a shadow government and propaganda network either way... which is what he's going to get if he's allowed to stay in the US even if he's facing prosecution.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

You’re wrong bro. For the Dem voters, it’s on the 5th.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Trump obviously expecting to need every hanging chad he can get.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope

Biden does not have that power and it's negotiating with a kidnapper it will also set precedent that any other president can be corrupt as they want as long as they leave peacefully.

How is any of that a good idea?

RayRay10, Andre0087 and dobro1229 like this.
  11. Dubious

Well the good news there are going to be State crimes in NY

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. dobro1229

It is NOT. I brought up negotiating him revoking his own citizenship and moving to Moscow as a potentially interesting trade, but no I believe you are right. The presidency isn't something that some folks think they can just trade.

I honestly have SOME faith that the Supreme Court will do the right thing and swear in Joe Biden even if Trump is still technically in the white house in January, and refusing to leave. What makes the president the president is that swearing in by the Chief Justice. I do believe that if he's sworn in, the Army, Marines, Navy, and many other government agencies will immediately recognize Biden as president, and that level of power cannot be something that Trump can compete with even with a militia who surrounds the white house and a secret service caught between a rock and a hard place.

If the Chief Justice with the support of Congress do the right thing, there's just no reason to defy our constitutional precedent and the dignity of the office to do something like exchange immunity even if it's for seemingly well intention short term goals to help the country.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He can do the same thing in Russia have you not heard of RT network or OAN.

Those same hypothetical 100's of lives can still be lost when he fervors dissent from Russia and probably with a lot more resources.

Sorry to say it but if we need to actually remove Trump from office if he refuses to leave, it needs to be done to assert what we are as a country, I have no idea why you are acting as if Trump is some god-like figure that can get everybody on board to pull that off.

Even if given immunity do you think he will just be silent?

Edit

It seems we agree after reading your post above.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just read through this thread and I think this is setting the ground work to contest the election. Trump can't delay the election and Congress isn't going to do it for him. This is something he can come back to and say, "I've been saying all along there's been problems with the election and even offered to fix it by delaying it so we would have more time to do it right. This is why we can't accept the results."

Regarding whether a deal will be made between Biden and Trump I brought this up in another thread and I certainly think it's in the realm of possibility. Trump obviously shouldn't stay in office if he loses and he has no legal basis to stand on if he tries. What he can do is stir up a lot of trouble during the lame duck period. He could create a crisis and try to argue that the inauguration should be delayed because of it or he could call out his followers to come down to DC in force to keep him in office. Trump out of office with a former president being put on federal trial could raise a lot of problems with again some of his hard core supporters causing trouble. I can see Biden cutting a secret deal with Trump just to make sure we have a peaceful transition of power.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Dubious

(out of context but funny)

Keith Richards infamously pulled a knife on Trump after he reneged on an agreement with the band

But perhaps most famously, it’s the concert that saw The Stones’ infamous backstage run-in with Donald Trump. As we’ve detailed in the past, Trump managed to weasel his way onto the concert as a promoter, but only after agreeing that his name would not be listed on any of the marketing materials and that he would not personally attend the show. (Apparently The Stones weren’t fans of Trump even back then.) However, when the band arrived in Atlantic City, they were greeted to a sign reading, “Donald Trump Presents The Rolling Stones,” with Trump’s name appearing in larger font than the band’s. Later, Trump held his own press conference promoting his involvement in the event.

As Stones tour manager Michael Cohl recounted in a 2016 interview, when Richards caught wind of Trump’s actions, “he pulls out a knife, slams it on the table, and says, ‘What the hell do I have you for? Do I have to go over there and fire him myself? One of us is leaving the building – either him, or us.'”

Ultimately, Trump left the band’s press room, but not before “three shtarkers he’s with, in trench coats, two of them are putting on gloves and the other one is putting on brass knuckles,” Cohl explained. He said he responded by calling the band’s head of security, who “got 40 of the crew with tire irons and hockey sticks and screwdrivers.”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/07/the-rolling-stones-trump-concert/

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For everyone concerned about the election there is something besides just voting that we as individuals can do about it. Volunteer to be an election judge. There are always shortages of election judges and many are retirees as as such with the virus situation they may not want to risk it. Being an election judge helps to make sure the election is carried out cleanly.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you negotiate with a child and just forget the rule of law and the foundation of the country?

So what happens when other presidents continue breaking the law and use this precedent of not leaving peacefully?

What happens to Biden as a president over the 4 years once this found out how can he govern especially with progressives?

What do you think happens to the Democratic party?

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not saying it's a completely good idea but if the goal is to return to stability and normalcy a peaceful transition of power is necessary.

If anything like this actually happens I'm guessing we won't hear anything publicly about it. It might not even be a pardon. it might be an agreement with an incoming AG to not pursue charges.

That said the precedent was already established with Richard Nixon and up until now it hasn't led to rampant criminality. The closest was Bill Clinton and he was punished upon leaving office.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. dobro1229

No I don't think he's god-like. I think he's a very weak and small person. However he is a danger to our country, and has the backing of enough Americans to put the country through hell.

However no he is not powerful, popular, or smart enough to pull off a true overtaking of a country to install himself as a dictator.

I'm simply asking the question about what to expect this fall, and winter knowing what's coming. I am in no way suggesting it as a recommendation, I just think it's interesting to think about different scenarios. The assumption that there's no way Trump would do that is proven to be a failure of our imagination.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No data? You don't need data to figure out that fraud is going to happen. All it takes is a simple thought exercise..... ohhh I get it. A think piece didn't tell you to think it, so you can't do it for yourself. Got it.