1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone been to Thailand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

went there many times for meetings in 2019. it was pretty nice, not as scary as some make it out to be. altho singapore would be easier for expats. but there isn't much to do for singapore, it's like half the size of katy. but for a culture shock, bangkok would be better than singapore and dubai.

2. IBTL

IBTL Member

this is generally the first piece of advice.
    I wouldn't want to live in thailand but that is just me.

The temperature is always 88 degrees.
    As someone from texas you might be ok with that but remember you are inside with ac.

Bangkok reminds me of mexico city.
    The entire place is one big harwin. $5 tag heur would make DD quite happy @RocketsPimp

Some pretty wild strip clubs there ..I saw two chicks beat the sh*it out of each other in oversized boxing gloves while others stripped in between rounds. Probably the most ape sh*t strip club I have ever been to.

I didnt sample the local women since it is true that many of them are not women. Some really do look like women.. so in general unless that is your thing it is a hard pass on all contact. I have been to some hardcore places and I would say thailand is not on any list past a visit. Not sure I would go back to be honest past picking up a few funny shirts or other similar harwin type junk. I have a great santa light up hat from there.

I had a headache and next thing you know I was loaded to the gills with packets of valium. Did you know they were over the counter? Or seems so!! Valium wouldve helped that bash ( if i could remember it) Even in india cant get pills like that so easily... I brought back thousands and I now refer to that time in my life as my "blue" period brought to you by roche 10

Roscoe Arbuckle and Nook like this.
  3. GIGO

GIGO Member

Take time to wonder why they're NOT in the kind of turmoil mentioned in the op.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Most foreign nationals remain barred from entering Thailand. The Royal Thai Government has also extended its ban on inbound international passenger flights until further notice.

The Royal Thai Government has not yet clarified how non-Thai travelers approved for entry can travel to Thailand. Those seeking to enter Thailand must request a Certificate of Entry from the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate. All arrivals are subject to a 14-day quarantine which can be spent at a government quarantine facility, alternative state quarantine, or self-quarantine at home depending on the traveler’s status. ​

https://jp.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ & https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

Measures by the Government of Japan

1. Areas subjected to entry ban
    Foreign nationals categorized below are denied permission to enter Japan for the time being, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
    (1) Foreign nationals who have stayed in any of the areas listed in the following table within 14 days prior to the application for landing.
    e.g. North America - Canada, United States

2. Strengthened quarantine
    (1) All nationals arriving from the areas listed in paragraph 1 above within 14 days prior to their application for landing into Japan are subjected to undergo PCR tests for the time being.
    (2) All nationals arriving from all regions are requested to wait 14 days at a location designated by the quarantine station chief and to refrain from using public transportation.​

https://sg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Singapore Border Entry and Entry Requirements:

The government of Singapore, which has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19, has declared that from 23 March 2020, 11:59 pm short-term visitors are generally barred from entering or transiting through Singapore until further notice, with few exceptions.

14-Day Stay-Home-Notice on Arrival

Those permitted entry into Singapore, outside of Safe Pass/Green Lane arrangements, will be issued 14-day “stay-home notices” (SHNs).​

ETC. ETC.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm not doing anything until February, but thanks for the info.

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I used to live there for months at a time for work over the course of 2 years. BKK is a traffic nightmare, but the public transit (Skytrain/Subway) is efficient depending on where you need to go. Otherwise taxi or Grab (Southeast Asia's version of Uber / Lyft) is the way to go. I wouldn't recommend driving yourself in Thailand, especially motorcycle. If you think people drive crazy here, you've got another thing coming in a lot of emerging markets and third world countrys (Thailand is an emerging market).

I couldn't live in BKK again, it's too busy and loud. It's a good city, not the cleanest, but definitely better than anything in India. I did love being able walk out my door and get something to eat for about $1 to $3 and be full anytime of day. I lived in the Silom district, which is a business area and actually really nice. My appartment was about $800 a month in Silom, which would be comparable to a $2k or $3k a month apartment in lower Manhattan (this was about 10 years ago)

The lese majeste laws are extremely strict and criticizing the Royal family is a minimum of 15 years in jail.

Its not a crime ridden country, but they are really strict when they "want" to enforce the law (money talks). But I think it's a safe place, and I never feared walking around BKK at 2 or 3am

I've visited Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Pattaya, Phuket, and Koh Phi Phi. Liked all of them except Pattaya. Beach was terrible, city itself not nice, and saw a lot of young US Navy who were being really disrespectful. All of these places are very touristy, and that really made me uninterested to want to live there.

Phuket is a pretty big island with lots to do. That would be my big draw to want to live there. But Chiang Mai was my favorite, quite mountain city that wasn't too small (I think its the 2nd largest city in Thailand)

Yes, there are a lot of red light districts but you don't have to go them. I didn't and had a great time in Thailand. Going out to bars and clubs with fellow Thai coworkers / colleagues was some of the greatest times I ever had. Dont know where to compare the nightlife because I've lived most my life in Texas, but the nightlife is amazing. Thai people in general are really nice and want to make sure you are having a good time.

There are foreign expats everywhere, and yes, as @Nook stated, there a lots trolling around for women. Its really weird seeing it

#25 TMac'n, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This poem summarizes my feelings on the subject:

Buck Turgidson, donkeypunch and Nook like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

have i mentioned my favorite member of blackpink is thai?

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im worried about our beloved fatty roscoe making a major life-changing decision and moving half a world away just because "a friend" wants him to move. and he has never even been to thailand!

how about a visit first to check it out then decide whether or not you want to go?

also, fatty is just a little bit of a pot-stirring provocateur who tends to shoot from the hip...an authoritarian country could be a dangerous place for him. we all know that within the first week he would be drunk at a bar at 2am going "f*** the king" and end up in thai jail. or worse off, end up going home with a dude who is sidelining as a lady.

TMac'n, donkeypunch and KingCheetah like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sometimes you just have to say Phuket, fly to Thailand and Bang Kok.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ricky Gervais' new show will be called "Bigots in Bangkok"

TMac'n and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I know a lot of people that do something on a whim and are happy about it. His job is secure and he is single and personable so he could really end up liking it..... traveling is good.

I do agree with you that I suspect Fatty doesn't realize how strict they are when it comes to their laws and punishment. When I was there, the punishment for any negative comments about the royal family was 15 years in prison.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Secksey tourism.

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

The air quality can get pretty bad (smog) in BKK. If your friend's job isn't tied to BKK, Chiang Mai may be a nice alternative - better air, bicycle friendly and lots of mountains/trails nearby if you like that type of thing.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The people love their monarch, too. Spouting off will get you a minimum Tiger Knee to the face.

AroundTheWorld, Nook and donkeypunch like this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

His name is Fatty and he does fast food reviews..... I dont know him, but Im gonna err on the side of "not his thing"

jo mama and saitou like this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

We just started talking about it last week, so this is in its infancy stage right now, hence why I asked folks here to tell me about it. We're looking at other places also, but she really liked the house for $400 in Phuket.

jo mama likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

/thread

Nook likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did not know this and don't doubt there can be other causes but this also lays out some motivations.

The selling off of assets could be a great motivator.

https://www.livinglifeafterfifty.com/2020/04/07/foreign-suicides-in-thailand/

Nook likes this.