1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drugs and Addicts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether it’s prescription opioids after a knee injury or shooting up heroin, drug addicts inevitably messes up bother their own lives and the lives of the others to get their next high.

It’s like they cease to be people and they’re chasing more basic animalistic urges. I am disappointed at the homeless who are homeless because they’re addicted to drugs and often jump hospital to hospital to treat complications stemming from their drug use only to leave before the treatment is done because “their pain is not controlled”.

I am upset at the pushers going into neighborhoods selling this poison to their communities.

Most of all I am upset at the manufacturers growing, processing, and distributing these drugs to our streets.

Medicine is in part to blame due to medical boards having cozy relationships with opioid manufacturers which lead to the dissemination of the idea that prescription opioids are not habit forming, they are safe, and if you are under treating the patients pain you are a bad physician. Once these opioids ran out, people would seek out alternatives like heroin or fentanyl to keep from withdrawing.

What can we do with the people who have seemingly destroyed their lives and what can we do to prevent the next generation from getting started on this path?

No link or story. This is just some original musings for the D&D to mull over.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like original thought

Half the homeless population are drug addicts and need help.
    None of the one direction fans really care even if they throw lots of money at the problem.
    seems cities with the worst economic disparities like Los Angeles and San Francisco never solve their problems

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

Yikes!

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

End the war on drugs
    End mar1juana prohibition
    Tax and set up treatment for hard drug addiction.
    Provide universal health care
    Treat people humanely and not like trash.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree.

People should not even have the choice to ruin their lives with cocaine, heroin, benzos, amphetamines, etc. due to the added costs on society itself. It’s one thing if you can be functionally dependent and it is something you can do in the privacy of your home. It’s another when you can no longer keep a job and resort to robbing and stealing just to get your next high.

I would not put mar1juana in these categories but mar1juana is not truly safe either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I quit smoking weed after 20 years on 4.20.2017.
    I miss it occasionally but i switched jobs and dont want to get fired. I cant wait til i retire in 20 more years.

9. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of times illegal drug use is self medicating by people that need mental health treatment.

One of the best ways to prevent addicts is to have a strong emphasis put on mental health visits and treatments starting at a young age.

Undiagnosed depression, PTSD, bi-polar disorder, paraphrenia, schizophrenia and sexual trauma all are major causes of long term drug addiction.

Also, drug sharks should be banned and we need to change the very basis of our medical system.

The benefits would be multi faceted as well........ increased mental health treatment would decrease crime, decrease the need for jailing and policing of drug offenders, increase general satisfaction and decrease the poverty gap, limit life long sexual and physical abuse, cut the cost on the war on drugs, decrease the strength of cartels and increase school security.

Unfortunately it will not happen anytime soon because we cannot even agree to wear a mask in public.

10. likestohypeguy

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

The biggest problem facing hard drug addicts is that they don't want to quit.
    You can't really force them to get help.

@Ubiquitin

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

+ increasing public housing, and getting those who can be housed in homes.

These are the obvious and necessary stop-gap ways to attempt to address the issue. Overall, the better the society is for those at the bottom, the more this issue is solved.

We have very high rates of poverty, we have the highest rates for child poverty in the OECD, we have a very poor national safety net, we have a poor culture of a very individualist / selfish family safety net which is a much more difficult issue to address, we have a declining middle class, we have declining unionization, wages have been stagnant for over 50 years while housing cost has soared.

The more people struggle, in general, the more ****ed up they will be, the more likely they will be to get involved with drugs, the more likely to end up homeless.

Things like improving education, seriously addressing childhood poverty, ending food insecurity in America, criminal justice reform, living wages, bringing back unions, focusing on mental health more in school, in healthcare, in social programs, working on affordable housing are all going to be crucial areas along with what you mentioned in decriminalizing drugs, creating a universal healthcare system with complete comprehensive coverage for the poor, treating mental illness and addiction for what they are - diseases of despair, not crimes.

RayRay10 and VooDooPope like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Legalize it all. Tax it, but keep it to where you put dealers out of business. Set up safe use houses with some of the tax money and rehab programs with some too. Make it to where you need to seek counseling to get the cheap drugs, and the counselors work with you towards ending addiction or warning you about addiction.

I don't know how this all works, but the answer lies more in legalizing it all than in prohibiting it all.

By legalizing, you also lessen the prison burden. Funding and overpopulation. You lessen drug crime. You can vilify it like cigarettes and wean the numbers down.

The problem is, and will always be, (as with a lot of things) corporate entities will end up running the drug trade. You may have to fix that first.

#13 Two Sandwiches, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

you can give the heroin addicts free needles and clean up after them too

[​IMG] [​IMG]

@Os Trigonum @Ubiquitin

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nope. We need safe use houses. If you're seen littering needles, there's gonna be some sort of stuff penalty. Not sure how we'd handle that, though. Maybe jail time where you do a hard detox?

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

You are correct about cleaning up needles, that's terrible and dangerous for pedestrians and pets.

But the #1 problem is the drug users don't want to quit using drugs.
    that's why they don't want to be in shelters, because they want access to drugs.

how do you make a drug user stop using drugs without forcing them ?

RayRay10 and waytookrzy079 like this.
  17. body slam

body slam Member

Briefly went out with a lady that was what I consider a prescription drug addict. She said all you need to do is know how to talk to the doctor and you can get all most anything you want.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is the most idiotic thing you have posted.

Why do you think they don't want to quit?

Are you actually saying its as simple as want to?

I wish you wanted to quit CF but it's abundantly clear you are an addict.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Oh please, this is the biggest ****ing bs. Federal regulations are so strict now, that everybody is scared to prescribe the bare minimum.

what bothers me the most, is that there are people we see with incurable diseases that cause them a. Great deal of agony, terminal...and no non-pain management doc will manage this. We may not have the technology/medications to treat these incurable diseases but we do have the ability to manage suffering. And even that is taking a hit. I don’t understand why someone with metastatic cancer and terrible pain should have to struggle and get bounced around because someone decides to abuse that medication on the streets somewhere. People that want to abuse these medications will and they will find a way, the real victims are those that have legitimate causes to be in pain.

as alluded to, the get the people that are abusing it Help