1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hydrochloriquine/Z-Pack/Zinc, savior of America?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ElPigto, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. I don’t think it’s financially driven.

It’s because he is in a self-made, terrible position and he needs a miracle to get out of it. To him, a cheap readily available drug cocktail is his miracle. (Not to say there won’t be some unanticipated auspicious happenings in the next 100 days to boost his electability). But like many in the general populace, he is prone to paranoid ideas and confirmation biases. He is not expected to be able to discern fact from fiction given his background and that’s why he should be relying on expert guidance from Drs. Fauci and Birx.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's what everyone says. All the more reason why I'm curious as to why there's like zero studies done - other than his - on the 3 drug cocktail to early stage patients. yet there has been a ton of studies on HCQ alone, or HCQ+AZT, heck i even found one on HCQ+prednisone...

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

From what I read, his argument is to go ahead and prescribe the medicine in high-risk patients (my guess is those individuals with comorbidities) even if tests have not come back negative. He does state that the combo of medicine is less effective as time passes, but that there was some significant results even for those that time had passed and this was prescribed. He also stated that many of previous studies done were not done correctly and provided inconclusive results. He also stated that the side effect of arrhythmia is overstated and based on multiple studies done, there has been very little effects of developing this and leading to mortality (seems contrary to other studies conducted).

This is the conclusion in his paper (thanks @durvasa for posting):

"We have a solution, imperfect, to attempt to deal with the disease. We have to let physicians employing good clinical judgement use it and informed patients choose it. There is a small chance that it may not work. But the urgency demands that we at least start to take that risk and evaluate what happens, and if our situation does not improve we can stop it, but we will know that we did everything that we could instead of sitting by and letting hundreds of thousands die because we did not have the courage to act according to our rational calculations."

Ultimately, my conclusion from his report is that the data is not complete and he understands why medical professionals are choosing not to use the combination of HCQ/Zpack/Zinc. Based on how he concluded his paper, he is basically calculating that based on the limited research conducted + other countries choosing to use this combination of medicine (72% in Spain, 49% in Italy, 41% in Brazil, 39% in Mexico, 28% in France, 23% in the US, 17% in Germany, 16% in Canada, 13% in the UK), and seeing the success of some trials, he is basically selling this as a low risk, high reward situation.

I'd really really really love to get a take on this. I don't have time to go through every single on of his documented references. What does clutchfans ultimately think of this? @BallaDoc @LosPollosHermanos @B-Bob , I would love it if you all shared your opinion on this. I think it's important to look at this objectively.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

There are RCTs going on right now looking at Zinc and COVID. You can see their status at ClinicalTrials.gov

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok, again you are leaving out the other drugs... not sure why we're going around in circles on this.

The claim is HCQ + AZT + Zinc.

Maybe its all made up crap, but then why is there a trial on just Zinc and Covid?

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

There is at least one US trial looking at HCQ AZT and zinc. There are almost certainly trials elsewhere in the world as well.

RayRay10 and JayZ750 like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It is in fact financially driven, but not in the way you think. Big Pharma stands to make a MINT off of a COVID vaccine. If HCQ works and costs only $10 a pop, then no profits for Big Pharma. If HCQ works, then it means less fear in the world, which is bad for Democrats politically. That's how the world works my man. Ugly, but true.

mick fry likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So the entire world is in on the HCQ misinformation campaign?

RayRay10, jiggyfly and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Dexamethasone is similar cost to HCQ and it’s recommended if you have severe COVID. It’s not about cost, Trader.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

If you genuinely believe that the pharmaceutical giants are withholding cheaper medicines to sell a vaccine down the road, I can’t really convince you otherwise. But I would be interested in seeing why you feel that way.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

You are ridiculous.

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF dude?

Why are you posting this article from April?

It's cute that you obviously will do anything for attention but now you are disseminating potentially dangerous info.

Do you not want any respect on this forum anymore?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What side is saying it's not even worth using?

How is the left politicizing the use of this drug?

This both sides bullshit needs to stop.

One side is advocating mask and social distancing while the other is touting a doctor who thinks cyst comes from dreaming of having sex with demons.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

How is the left politicizing it? Essentially ever since Trump touted it the response was immediately to discredit it since it came from Trump. Of course any idiot could guess Trumps motives in speaking out about it. But it's literally the exact same **** that occurred during Obama's presidency. If he said the sky was blue, the Republicans(or the hardcore segment) would immediately say it's grey instead. Same thing under Trump but with the left discrediting every move he makes(even the few times he does the right thing). He's an idiot for the most part but if he said the sky is blue I have no doubt the other side would look to find fault.
    Advocating a mask and social distancing is not wtf i'm talking about. Obviously anyone with an ounce of sense realizes by now that is the right tactic to deal with the situation for now. I'm talking about the treatment of it.
    Unfortunately thanks to Trump and thanks to the actions of the Houston Doctor, she is now the voice of the suggested treatment, but there are other doctors and a decent number of others previously afflicted with it that recovered due to the use of it. I personally know some people. Perhaps they would've recovered without the use of it...we do not know for a fact.
    The studies cast doubt on its effectiveness but as I mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be discredited for use as a last resort. It's not a cure. It shouldn't be seen as a cure. But as of now and what we know, there is no cure. It's essentially Remdesivir to treat it or possibly the Chloroquine, Zinc, Azithromycin combination.

Either way, none of that means people shouldn't use masks and social distance.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The reason why it was immediately discredited was because nobody knew it it's effective and doctors knew the drug could be dangerous.

How is that political?

So who recovered because of hydroxy, or did they recover because of other treatments or in spite of hydroxy? Who is saying don't use it as a last resort?

So you are only going in on democrats because of hydroxy yet you acknowledge that Republicans and Trump have done far more downplaying the effect and prevention of Covid.

How is that the same thing?

So the doctors who don't believe in hydroxy are doing so because of politics?

You can have a disagreement about hydroxy and it does not have to come down to politics.

18. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

https://www.axios.com/hydroxychloro...=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100

Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, who served under President Trump:

"I think at this point, we can definitively say hydroxychloroquine doesn't work. I'm not sure what more we need to do."

"I think it's incumbent of the public health officials around the president to make sure he's fully informed of that information. ... There is a lot of data right now available that I think could inform a very convincing briefing."

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I agree that you can have a disagreement about it and not have it come down to politics. Also, definitely the doctors who don't believe in it are not doing so because of politics. Half my family are physicians and I just had a discussion about it with one of them and we weren't in agreement. I respect their opinion, acknowledge where i'm wrong or where their knowledge surpasses mine and move from there.

Also, some have said(Im not really on here, I seem to be on twitter more so that's probably where I've read arguments on this) it shouldn't even be used at all.

Nevertheless, my point was it's not a cure and shouldn't be treated as one but if all else fails for a patient then it might as well be tried.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member