1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Radio] Is 94.5 The Buzz Considered 'Oldies' or 'Classics'?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I rarely listen to terrestrial radio and was driving with my wife yesterday and we had 94.5 (Houston) on. I was struck by how old all of the songs were, mostly from the 1990's, which makes them at the very youngest, 21 years old.

So are these considered oldies or classics now?

Side question: Is there a Houston radio station with new 'Alternative' music?

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Maybe Classic Rock now? As I recall, KLDE didn't play much from the mid-'70s and beyond when I was listening in the mid-'90s. The vast majority of stuff was pre-1975.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Oldies is classified as 50's and 60s music
    Disco is disco
    Classic Rock is 70s
    Glam Rock is 80s
    Hard Rock is 70s and 80s
    Punk Rock is typically late 70s-early 80s
    Alt rock is typically 90s

Plenty of other music genres as well, but if a station says it plays alt rock, they're playing mostly 90s stuff.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

wasn't roula and ryan from the buzz in the 2000s? I used to listen during my long commutes to u of heche.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

94.5 is the only modern rock station in Houston, but they do play a ton of music from basically the last 30 years mixed in with the new releases.

There really isn't much rock being released anymore. There's a certain sound that is popular now and it isn't really rock music, at least not as I grew up knowing it. I imagine a lot of people feel the same which is why they still lean so heavily on older alternative.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good breakdown. And boring that The Buzz is stuck in the 90s. They put the zzz in alt rock.

arkoe likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I remember it used to be on 107.5 and switched in the year 2000 to 94.5, also all the marketing around "save the Buzz". I recall seeing someone with a tattoo with the old frequency number... Haha

I don't listen to the radio a lot any more, but I do recall it being decent in the 90s/00s. I guess that's not the case any longer.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It made me think that oldies stations didn't start off as oldies, they just never changed the music that they were playing.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of the new alternative.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

About all 94.5 is good for anymore is making sure I get up in the morning. Knowing that I'm about to have to hear Rod Ryan repeat the same script of nonsense he's spouted for the part decade is just about guaranteed to get me up and out of bed to turn off that alarm before it goes off.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No it's just 90's Rock music. I guess calling it Alt Rock is fine since it was a shift in the genre coming out of the hair band era of the 80's. 94.5 is grunge mostly, or whatever you want to call pop music song structure with power chords using heavy distortion.

It's just Rock music inspired by the 90's industry label rock scene.

I feel like the deal with 94.5 though is the DJ's just never really moved onto new music and their base listeners that started listening to them in the 90's never really changed their fav bands like Incubus, Pearl Jam, 311, etc.

What's crazy though is I no longer live in Houston and hardly ever hear those bands unless I go to Houston, and never fails. Everywhere I got in the suburbs to get a beer has the same sh$t playing from the 90's and early 2000's. It's a guarantee I'll hear 311 at Mollys pub, Baker street, or wherever. You have to think that the Buzz has alot to do with that genre in that limited timeframe having a pretty big impact.

12. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

Used to be Oldies back in the day...

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[modern rock has entered the chat]

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Classic alternative rock

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah this is what I was mentioning above, the whole swap between the frequencies. Nice find.