1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It's good, but it's definitely not the best. There's a reason the game is dead from a competitive standpoint.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I mean, it is all subjective. Congrats on the 2 chips. Thats pretty f'en badass. I hope to never see you in a lobby.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Thank you, it was a lot of fun. You won't, unless you're playing Valorant or Rocket League. ;)

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Are you still competing in eSports? If yes, what games do you participate in nowadays?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Halo's been dead since 3, but how sweet 1-3 were.

6. noize

noize Contributing Member

Since we're on the subject of modern day video game graphic technology and capabilities, I like to bring some attention to a new IP from Sony that had just been released a few weeks ago called Ghost Of Tsushima on the PS4. Its already the fastest selling PS4 exclusive ever and has the highest user scores on Metacritc sitting at 9.3.

A lot of the attention went to the graphics of the game, where most people (consumer and critics) are considering it the most beautiful game ever made up to this point in time. Tech expert believes the game best utilized the PS4 power in a way where everything is nicely balanced with good efficiency, and nothing is compromised too much. (particle effects, lighting, shadows, foliage density, textures, etc...). Admittedly the game is indeed beautiful, especially if you have the PS4 PRO + a 4K TV with an OLED panel to bring out the HDR in the best possible way.

With that said, how likely can Sucker Punch (developer) and Sony gives us an update using just a little of the PS5 capabilities and make this as one of the PS5 launch title? Maybe improve the frame-rate, faster loading time and increase the resolution a little bit. This would just put Sony over the top and put a huge separation between them and Microsoft. I believe it would take just one really good exclusive game at launch to be a system seller. This game is it. It has all of the mainstream appeal with its graphics + gameplay (open-world similar to Witcher 3, HZD and Breath of the Wild). I was hoping TLOU2 with be that game, but I think all of the negative controversy is just too much to ask for.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/ghost-of-tsushima
    https://gamingbolt.com/ghost-of-tsushima-graphics-analysis-a-benchmark-for-early-ps5-visuals
    https://screenrant.com/ghost-of-tsushima-graphics-sony-boss-shuhei-yoshida/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...e-most-beautiful-game-ever-made/#6e86df0470e4
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/ghost-of-tsushima-review
    https://games.avclub.com/ghost-of-tsushima-is-one-of-the-most-beautiful-games-ev-1844380552

#146 noize, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    RC Cola and Yung-T like this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure about launch title, but it's not that difficult and has been done several times, for example with GTA 5 and Last of Us.

You should expect to see this last batch of curren-gen AAA titles come to next-gen, games I have in mind are Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, Tsushima, Red Dead Redemption 2, FF 7 remake, Witcher 3 (4k 60fps, Game is a money-printing machine).

RC Cola likes this.
  8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I guess they could try to make a PS5 version of the game, but I don't know if it would really be worth it (for them or for gamers). Keep in mind that the PS4 game should be playable on PS5, possibly with minor enhancements (hopefully quicker loading at least). This is mainly speculation as Sony (and even MS for the most part) haven't really explained or shown how this would work. To be honest, while I'd love to see more games, I really want to see more UI/UX stuff from both consoles, including OS features and more specifics about backwards compatibility. Maybe there are some things that native PS5/XSX can do that PS4/XBO games cannot, in which case it would then make much more sense to build a next-gen version of a game (even if the benefits are negligible).

You can't really shoehorn ray-tracing into games like TLOU2 and probably GoT. Some of the other major features likely require quite a bit of work to do properly. They can possibly hit 4K and *maybe* 60FPS with minimal development time, but I can't think of many other major enhancements they can do unless they had PS5/XSX versions already planned (Cyberpunk is a bit like this I think).

I might be way off. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

9. RC Cola

Oh yeah, the (not) Suikoden Kickstarter is up and running:

On its way to achieving the stretch goal for PS5/XSX (and other consoles). Yay!

Yung-T likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

multiplayer on 5 is pretty smooth running on a one X

seclusion likes this.
  11. RC Cola

More DLSS 2.0 comparisons! This time directly compared to PS4's checkerboard rendering:

A bit about PS5 OS features:

Stuff like that is what I mostly want to see now. I'd rather see more of this than Halo Infinite. :p

Not to keep poking at Halo Infinite, but I watched a few more breakdowns of the game's demo (TheCherno, NX Gamer, etc.). It definitely does seem like it was a bit of a disaster for MS/343. I'm sure the game plays well, but the technical issues with the showing seem to be overshadowing much of the showcase itself (including the wonderful Game Pass support). I'm sure plenty of people were able to look past that and receive the message MS wanted to give gamers. But if you're trying to give people a reason to upgrade to your new next-gen machine ("the most powerful console" or whatever), showing off a game that most seem to think looks like current-gen game (and not a top-tier one at that) probably won't work too well. MS has plenty of other games to show off the XSX, so I'm sure they'll rebound fine (plus they still have other good things to promote, like Game Pass). But this doesn't do Halo and 343 any favors. I'm really curious to see if they'll delay it, or see if they can just try to pull it altogether in time for launch.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't compete anymore, but I play Valorant mostly on PC and Rocket League on PC/Xbox.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Can we get some of the GPU guys to work on enemy AI?

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

15. RC Cola

Both systems have much better CPUs, which can help with AI if it was limited by processing power.

I kinda get the impression that most devs just have problems coming up with a good AI that is smart *and* fun to play with/against. I don't think it is super difficult to come up with a pretty smart AI, but that might not be fun for the player. I honestly have no idea how this stuff works, so maybe I'm way off, but that's always the impression I got. And to your point, I think this is probably one of the last things they worry about.

Kinda seems like this patent isn't about DLSS (or something like it), but about something else (involving camera input?). To be fair, I thought it sounded like an image reconstruction algorithm as well, but based on what others have said, it seems this is not what we think it is.

I think Sony has *something* in development for PS5 that takes advantage of image reconstruction (Cerny and PS4 devs seemed to love it for PS4 Pro), but we'll have to wait and see. It will be difficult to match DLSS 2.0 without hardware acceleration, but if we can get "next-gen" checker-boarding (or something like that), it might be a decent compromise. XSX will have something called DirectML, so there's that too.

FYI to all interested, we will *probably* be getting more info from Sony and MS in August. I think Phil Spencer already confirmed August for their next show. I don't think Sony has said anything, but August seems likely for more PS5 news as well. I'm assuming we'll see more system stuff at these events vs game stuff. OS stuff, xCloud, maybe pricing/launch details, etc.

PhiSlammaJamma and Yung-T like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

what do you think of this game?
    I think it might suck

17. RC Cola

When it was first shown off (E3 2019 I think?), it looked pretty bad. It actually looks a lot better now (via that video). I still have some concerns. The character designs are still kinda meh. I'm not so sure about the GaaS aspects. It will be pretty grindy with a main campaign that's probably forgettable. Etc.

But the visuals are much better, and the gameplay looks way better now (better "feel" and more interesting). Hopefully it remains that way after 100+ hours (and with dozens of heroes potentially I guess?).

It looks like they're pouring a lot of money and resources into the game, and based on the initial impressions, I think they've listened to the negative feedback. So I guess that's a good sign. Hopefully they get some good feedback from the beta and at launch so they can continue to enhance the game. I could still see it being pretty bad, but I could also see it turning out pretty good (a Marvel version of Destiny or something like that).

tinman likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

People normally don't want to pay $60 for some game that they can finish in like a day.
    This looks like one of them.

19. RC Cola

Amount of gameplay content is actually not something I'm worried about for the game. It might not be *good* gameplay content, but I'd expect there to be hundreds of hours of content to play with the game. Maybe 1000+ hours, though that would probably require a couple more years of content. Again, think Destiny or games like that.

I'm guessing you can probably finish whatever main story game campaign in a fairly short amount of time though.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're putting so much work into it, yet I'd still put my money on the old Lego's Marvel game being superior.

RC Cola and tinman like this.