1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] How starting Eric Gordon at SF fits in Rockets' plan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 26, 2020.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm so sick of MDA... smh... fkn idiot...

He just wants us to get smaller and smaller at every position so he will be viewed as some kind of visionary if he is able to actually win... nevermind that he has 2 recent MVPs in the lineup which should in and of itself produce a winning scenario...

If we win it will be IN SPITE of MDA - not BECAUSE OF...

I'll be so happy when this stubborn SOB is gone...

You got 2 MVPs you moron - cant you make that into a winning scenario without resorting to high risk/high reward options?

No... we're gonna totally disregard rim protection and rebounding and other facets of the game just to run this meatheads reinventing of the wheel...

Innovation can be good... but going unorthodox just for the sake of being different is counterproductive... we have reached the point of diminishing returns regarding MDA's 'brilliance'... smh...

bmelo and Little Bit like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If this scrimmage shows us anything, I hope it is that this is a good idea. I'm a bit skeptical.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Rockets believe in total equality. That is, total equality of heights in every position. He's a perfect fit at any position. :cool:

vlaurelio likes this.
  4. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Harden is off the bench or start them all and sit harden right away? Harden isnt gonna be happy with that.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

no. howbout gordon waits until harden sits. of house, bmac, and gordon. gordon has the worst net rating and bpm.

6. Dash

Dash Member

I see Eric Gordon online playing call of duty all day, I doubt he put in the necessary work on his game and he just looks lazy out there smh

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m surprised some are still shocked that Morey/ MDA value offense over everything else.

BasketMAD and hakeem94 like this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I mean lets call it like it is. gordon is the 2 and harden is the 3. although we switch everything on defense gordon is kept primarily on the smaller quicker perimeter players while harden often switches onto the larger players where he's a much better defender.

10. vlaurelio

this year, house and bmac are better shooters/slashers than ego

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

EG gonna be traded after this season unless we win a title.

12. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have targeted players that fit their style of play. That is the whole reason they traded for Covington and pursued McLemore.

Defensively the Rockets had too mediocre defenders before the Covington deal, but that was because ownership would not pay to keep Ariza. The Rockets tried to fill the hole last year with limited funds and could not.

Now the Rockets have two elite starting defenders in Covington and Tucker. An above average defender in this system (Harden), an average one in Gordon and a below average one in Westbrook.

As for GS, we will have to wait and see. Curry is a poor defender, so is Wiggins. Green is older and Klay has not played in over a year, and there is no KD. I would not count on that defense being so special at all and I don’t even think the pieces fit that well as put together currently. They may well make another move though.

The Rockets really only need another long wing that can hit 3’s and a back up center like Noel.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who’s gonna take him and his contract?

the one time Tilman opens his wallet, it’s to hand this guy an albatross contract...u hate to see it

for large portions of this season, EG was 1 of the worst players in the league, and that’s no exaggeration

fattz likes this.
  14. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Yes thats what we have been doing. When harden or Russ sits we throw in gordon. He is our third option.

15. vlaurelio

yeah so it doesn't make sense to start him.. he is redundant when harden is playing.. especially when both harden and russ is playing..

Reeko, fattz and D-rock like this.
  16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Mike D was asked why house isnt starting and he responded he isnt as good as the other 5 guys....

right now I would have to disagree....i still have hope EGO can get going but time is running out.

vlaurelio likes this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

no he isnt...in this system now with ruse on the team he is floor spacer....ill say this loudly....u dont need gordon on the bench when u are gonna have hqrden or russ on the court at all time...you dont need another scorer you need another floor spacer.

how is this hard for people to understand. trust my mda better at working offense then you are lol. its simple to me if u understand basketball...no cap

18. vlaurelio

I trust MDA.. our play was better with bmac or house starting than ego

you act like bmac or house starting never panned well

19. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

I will say Eric is definitely moving better than he was before.

End of the day, it's about his ability to hit open 3s. He misses way too many of those for someone who's considered a shooter. Arena with no fans? Time to hit your open shots Eric.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don’t know why people are fascinated by this delusion that Gordon plays SF. He’s almost always guarding the best guard on the floor, with Covington and Tucker splitting the 2 other best players (usually F/C types). Of the two left over, Harden guards the taller one (usually the dumber big man) and Westbrook guards the worst scorer whoever it is.

Gordon is a good defender in the playoffs and teams won’t sag off him ever. I think spotting up early gives him a chance to warm up before launching flamethrowers when Harden sits.

He has been disappointing most of the past 2 years and is not good enough to be as whiny as he is. I’m glad he got into shape, we’re paying him way too much money, he needs to always be in great shape at least.

Keep things in perspective. If Gordon is hitting 36% on his usual volume of 3’s, we will most likely break the all time record for team offensive rating. So if when Harden is on the floor he is just spotting up, that’s fine because Gordon will pull his defender 35 feet away from the basket whether he’s on that day or not.

Really what’s happening with starting Gordon is that he is better at guarding quick/small players than almost everyone on the team. House is not, even though he often puts in the effort. We need to make defensive leaps and a healthy motivated Gordon could be a defensive boon for this team. Something we didn’t have all season when we were playing mediocre defense.

We need Gordon’s defense way more than his offense. I like the move because it’s clear they intend him to be gunning when Harden sits. Mclemore/Gordon/Green gunning off the bench with one of Harden or Westbrook leading the charge is plenty of firepower.

The real xfactor in these playoffs is: can we get surprisingly excellent defense and hitting open 3pters from any 2 of House, Green, Moute and Caboclo? We really need someone to come through.

Hardens playoff defense has improved so much each year. If he has any extra energy to expend with Russ here, he could surprise us as well. Last seasons playoffs he was the 7th best defender among players with usage greater than 29 (about 25 players).

I couldn’t find Lebron’s playoff defensive rating though. Weird.

#40 Mathloom, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020