1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things My Florida Neighbors Say

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobrek, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Do you live in The Villages?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thankfully, no

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have not traveled a lot. I've been to Florida twice. Disney World when I was married and clean up after Hurricane Irma. I was in Miami and then Sarasota for the clean up.

Florida lives up to all its stereotypes. Orlando is straight tourist town, seems everything is staged. In Miami we lucked out and stayed at luxury resort Turnberry because no hotels were open and they had volunteer workers. When the hotel opened beautiful call girls were working the bar, rolls royces in the parking lot, it was awesome

Sarasota was straight retirement community. Beautiful town

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LIFE GOALS

tinman, RayRay10 and KingCheetah like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

one like = one cryptobro

+​

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Orlando and Kissimmee/Disney are two different cities completely. Orlando isn’t even as close as people think. It’s like assuming the Woodlands as part of Houston.

Orlando is a very interesting city politically for the state. After Hurricane Maria many Puerto Rican’s moved to Orlando and Miami. It’ll be interesting to see if that translates to higher turnout in Latino voters in those cities that drives up the power of those cities to over perform. As Orlando proper continues to grow it electorally will have the power that a normal big city has, and it might be the growth of this city that turns Florida into a key purple or even likely blue state moving forward.

The panhandle is a completely different world. Very much like Alabama or East Texasy type of vibe. Yet Democrats who won the state typically do feel the need to go into Tallahassee and other pandhandle areas to try and squeeze some votes out of the area to have that area not cancel out the votes they'll get in Miami.

Tampa and surrounding cities are really the mix of all those vibes in one area. You also have alot of suburbs in the area too. Ton of seniors live on the gulf coastal Tampa cities like Sarasota, and due to Covid seniors have been splitting with Trump lately in the polls, but this will be the biggest question come election night. Will that carry over or will there be a come home affect with seniors. Biden needs to be putting big money in these areas talking about Trump wanting to gut social security.

So yeah.... Florida is a crazy state. It's no shock that it'll look like Trump country in some areas, and in others it'll look like California. However on election night, it's a state Trump cannot lose if he wants to remain as president, and Biden continues to make a good case for why he was the best pick to win the election over someone like Bernie. The "Base" that wins in November for Democrats probably looks more like suburban women who shop at JCrew and seniors who eat dinner at Lubys at 4:45 PM than it does Antifa nose ring wearing dirty young libtards.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Neighbor AB?

@Os Trigonum @rocketsjudoka @Ziggy

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Orlando is definitely not a tourist town.

Most tourist go directly from the airport to a resort - and never venture into the city.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you been to west palm brother?

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

For a couple of days in 2019 during spring training

RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I liked Florida 30 years ago when I was a little kid and we were going to move there... that is until my dad tried ordering us fast food and the person operating the drive up window didn’t speak English and told my dad he needed to learn Spanish... after that dad got us the hell out of Florida. Said he loved “the Spanish culture but would not be told to speak a foreign dialect in the United States of America.”

It used to be the place to go for wealthy New Yorkers when they retired and many others. I don’t know if that is the case anymore. I know in Chicago all the wealthy white retirees went from Florida to Arizona. They are flooding into Arizona. The younger ones are all moving to the DFW area.

Having traveled a lot I am no longer a big fan of Florida. The areas in San Fran and SoCal are far better but the price for retirees is insane. Some are now pouring into Mexico which doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. The cartels physically control like 70% of the country.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.