1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It definitely was not all Watson's fault but his stats in that game were misleading.

2. raining threes

Dwshaun the not so great over the last seven games of the season.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Let’s bring back TJ Yates. His skill set and color will be to your liking.

4. raining threes

What does skin color have to do with my post.

Are you saying Watson was great the last seven games of the season.

Do you view/judge people by the color of their skin? I dont, I judge by their performance and the last seven games that Watson played were far from great. He would tell you that himself.

5. showa13

showa13 Member

Have you actually looked at the last 7 games we played?

6. raining threes

Yes I have

Have you,

Care to give a breakdown?

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If that is your standard, why not look at his first 7 games? Where he rivaled mahomes and broke records...

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Its called cherry picking. When a fan doesnt like a player they would do that. This guy likes tannerhill more than watson or something stupid like that.

9. raining threes

Instead of breaking things down like you did or I did, lets break down the season as a whole, six good games/six mediocre games doesn't equal Deshaun the Great. It actually equals Deshaun the slightly above average.

Good thing is we're going to find out this year because the weapons are there for Deshaun to have a big year.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I never measured Watson by the amount of games he played, u judged him by his six weak game. Any literal nfl fan could literally tell u he's is great by the way he make clutch plays out of his ass while handicapped with a sht coach.

If Watson was under any other competent coach, he would have shine so much brighter. BoB incompetence is whats making him "slightly above average" to certain fans.

I still would rate Watson at least top 5 qb, even with a sht hc holding him back. But that's just me.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You are only as good as your last game in football .. Im pretty sure you know this, but just feel like picking a fight with this comment.

What about his first 7 games in the league? (see how that works!)

Its ok .. Deshaun Watson is not your QB .. nothing wrong with that, and lucky for you it doesnt seem Watson views himself as a long term fixture here either so the QB carousel that some guys seem to pine over will be back before you know it! Fun times right!?

Let me guess - You're a Jimmy G guy right?

raining threes and 3Rings like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Week 9 vs JAX (W 26-3) - Another good/great game from Deshaun. Just did what he needed to do to win. Efficient in the win. Whats not to like here?

Week 11 vs BAL (L 41-7) - super hyped game vs BAL .. started strong with several great drives and then the BAL defense put on the clamps and HOU didnt make anything happen. Watson sacked 6 times. Run game nonexistent. OBrien crappy game plan and in game adjustments.

Week 12 vs IND(W 20-17) - Great game from Watson - whats not to like here?

Week 13 vs NE (W 28-22) - Another awesome game from Watson - what didnt you like here?

Week 14 vs DEN (L 38-24) - HORRIBLE game all around, completely overlooked the Broncos after a big game and were embarrassed at home. Watson had 3 total TDs, but too little too late,

Week 15 vs TENN (W 24-21) - Went into TENN and got the win. Game plan was run heavy and Deshaun did his job. What didnt you like here??

Week 16 vs TB (W 23-20) - Another OBrien Gem ... lets just try and become the first team all year that runs over the Bucs .. yeah great idea. When the Bucs stopped the run what did OBrien do? Tried to run. But yeah Deshaun didnt have a good game, no rhythm, no direction from the offense, Stinker for sure.

Im not sure when guys like you that have a death grip on the "Last 7 Games" theory use this argument are trying to infer? My biggest qualm with this stretch on WAtson would be his ball security, I dont like the amount of turnovers that there is in that stretch, but he is most defintely contributing to winning football and not the other way around.

This team wins BECAUSE OF Deshaun Watson, not in spite of. All you need to do is look up the W/L before and after Watson was drafted and acknowledge the fact. Kid is a winner. What some of you guys want is some generational phenom talent, but what I want is just a winning football team, and WAtson has been a champion at every level so far, and nothing leads me to believe he cant do it as a professional. What gets you to that conclusion?

conquistador#11, showa13 and 3Rings like this.
  13. showa13

showa13 Member

Thanks for that breakdown. Had to deal with some personal stuff but that about sums it up. I was at that Colts game and yea there’s no way we win without D4.

And as bizarre as it is, he’s actually a Tannehill guy.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fifty NFL coaches and evaluators rated 35 veteran quarterbacks this year while providing candid evaluations that appear in the analysis below. The process was simple. Coaches and evaluators placed each quarterback in one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Once ballots were collected, results were averaged to create a ranking. Our unanimous Tier 1 choices averaged 1.00, while the lowest-rated player averaged 4.30. Quarterbacks fell into the tiers in which they received the most votes.

The survey excludes rookies. We included two quarterbacks for New England, Chicago, Washington and Las Vegas because those teams’ situations are interesting and/or it’s plausible to think more than one veteran could start for various reasons.

TIER 1
    A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 50 | 2019 Tier: 1

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 50 | 2019 Tier: 1

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 46 | Tier 2 votes: 4 | 2019 Tier: 1

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 33 | Tier 2 votes: 17 | 2019 Tier: 1

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 28 | Tier 2 votes: 22 | 2019 Tier: 2

The average tier vote for Watson improved from 2.27 last year to 1.44 this year, the second-largest improvement in the survey. Only the Ravens’ Jackson made a larger jump. Voters thought Watson lagged behind the other Tier 1 quarterbacks in the finer points of the dropback passing game, but their respect for his ability to drive success with relatively little perceived support proved compelling, amid fears Watson could suffer from DeAndre Hopkins’ departure.

“The Buffalo game won me over,” an exec said of the Texans’ comeback from a 16-0 deficit to beat the Bills in the playoffs. “Watson gets everyone to believe in the face of certain peril. He makes the plays he needs to. This year will be a good test for him with a new cast.”

Led by Watson, the 2019 Texans were the only team to finish .500 or better while ranking 20th or lower in defensive EPA. Houston was 10-6.

“I look at the way the team wins,” a personnel director said. “Is it true complementary ball? Is it heavy run game? Does the quarterback rely on play-action? Is it stingy defense that allows them to have additional possessions? And then look at their supporting cast. When I think of the ones, I can put you into any roster and I know you are going to have a high level of success. I think with Deshaun Watson, there is a lot of, he wins in spite of his cast.”

A defensive coach who had questions about Watson came away impressed after watching hundreds of Houston plays on video this offseason. This coach cited a Tier 1 decision against Baltimore where Watson recognized the coverage, dropped down and threw under an oncoming rusher instead of throwing over the top, which would have risked a pick-six interception. The throw from Watson missed its target, but Watson knew exactly what to do.

“Smart by Watson because he knows it’s zone coverage,” the coach said. “The Tier 1 guy does the same thing but drops down and throws it accurately under the defender’s arm, all wrist.”

Multiple coaches wanted to see Houston add more wrinkles to its offense as Watson develops.

“Playing him, you fear him running, but you don’t fear him as a passer, and his running was not like Lamar Jackson,” a defensive coordinator said. “It was drop back, not there, take off and run. We never thought he was going to dice us up for 300 yards. I look at ones as guys that you feel like, ‘We better have some **** for this guy, we’d better manipulate our coverages, we’d better do this, we’d better do that.”

Other voters overruled these objections.

“He shredded New England on that Sunday night game,” a GM said. “In the playoffs, Buffalo’s defense was playing lights out with a great game plan, but really talented players at some point figure some things out along the way, and Watson started finding some things. I don’t think there are a lot of other quarterbacks down 16-0 the way Buffalo’s defense was playing that would have brought that team back.”

TIER 2
    A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 22 | Tier 2 votes: 28 | 2019 Tier: 1

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 16 | Tier 2 votes: 31 | Tier 3 votes: 3 | 2019 Tier: 4

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 11 | Tier 2 votes: 34 | Tier 3 votes: 5 | 2019 Tier: 1

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 5 | Tier 2 votes: 38 | Tier 3 votes: 7 | 2019 Tier: 2

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 4 | Tier 2 votes: 38 | Tier 3 votes: 8 | 2019 Tier: 2

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 5 | Tier 2 votes: 35 | Tier 3 votes: 10 | 2019 Tier: 2

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 3 | Tier 2 votes: 33 | Tier 3 votes: 14 | 2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 1 |Tier 2 votes: 27 |Tier 3 votes: 19 |Tier 4 votes: 3 |2019 Tier: 1

TIER 3
    A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

[​IMG]

Tier 1 votes: 1 | Tier 2: 19 |Tier 3: 25 | Tier 4: 5 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 15 | Tier 3 votes: 35 | 2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 13 | Tier 3 votes: 37 | 2019 Tier: 2

[​IMG]

Tier 2 Votes: 12 | Tier 3 votes: 37 | Tier 4 votes: 1 | 2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 10 | Tier 3 votes: 38 | Tier 4 votes: 2 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 14 |Tier 3 votes: 29 |Tier 4 votes: 6 |Tier 5 votes: 1 |2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 3 | Tier 3 votes: 45 | Tier 4 votes: 2 | 2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 6 | Tier 3 votes: 38 | Tier 4 votes: 6 | 2019 Tier: 2

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 4 | Tier 3 votes: 40 | Tier 4 votes: 6 | 2019 Tier: 4

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 2 | Tier 3 votes: 39 | Tier 4 votes: 9 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 2 | Tier 3 votes: 37 | Tier 4 votes: 11 | 2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 1 | Tier 3 votes: 29 | Tier 4 votes: 20 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 1 | Tier 3 votes: 27 | Tier 4 votes: 22 | 2019 Tier: 3

TIER 4
    A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

[​IMG]

Tier 3 votes: 20 | Tier 4 votes: 27 | Tier 5 votes: 3 | 2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 3 votes: 17 | Tier 4 votes: 28 |Tier 5 votes: 5 | 2019 Tier: 4

[​IMG]

Tier 3 votes: 14 | Tier 4 votes: 31 | Tier 5 votes: 5 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 1 | Tier 3 votes: 6 | Tier 4 votes: 43 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 2 votes: 1 | Tier 3: 10 | Tier 4: 35 | Tier 5: 4 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 3 votes: 10 | Tier 4 votes: 32 | Tier 5 votes: 8 | 2019 Tier: 3

[​IMG]

Tier 3 votes: 1 | Tier 4 votes: 47 | Tier 5 votes: 2 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 4 votes: 46 | Tier 5 votes: 4 | 2019 Tier: N/A

[​IMG]

Tier 3 votes: 1 | Tier 4 votes: 33 | Tier 5 votes: 16 | 2019 Tier: N/A

17. raining threes

Nope I'm a Jimmy G guy.

Balt.- terrible game
    Colts- very avg

Pats- great game

Broncos- terrible game

Titans - bad game, ints almost coat the Texans that game.

Tampa- terrible game

Buffalo- below avg

Chiefs- you know my thoughts

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So Jimmy G > Watson? Just askin.......

19. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Last year with Tom Brady, the Patriots went 3-3 over their last 6 games. I bet you don't have any problems with Brady and expect him to succeed in Tampa.

You're a JimmyG guy when he's basically a game manager being carried by the 49ers running game and their defense. You like Tannehill, but it's Henry and the running game that setups the play action passing game for Tannehill.

Sorry. Your opinion on Watson is totally subjective and not based on logic or facts. You just need to be honest. You didn't want the Texans to draft Watson and no matter how well he performs, it will not change your mind.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Led by Watson, the 2019 Texans were the only team to finish .500 or better while ranking 20th or lower in defensive EPA. Houston was 10-6.

[​IMG]