1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks hire Tom Thibodeau

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 25, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Good hire. Won't fix the dysfunction in the Knicks, but might help some.

3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

They finally found someone the players may hate more than the owner. He must be ecstatic.

linvetb6, Jontro, Easy and 2 others like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

FernTits Glen Taylor broke AF. No wonder he's looking to sell. ;)

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Thank goodness this dude is off the market.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Not a great hire. Just a poor fit. He is still a very good coach but not for the Knicks.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Thibodeau went from Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler to Andrew Wiggins and KAT...

...to now RJ Barrett and Kevin Knox.

I don't think he can turn that team around. NY media is not as forgiving as Chicago and Minny.

Cokebabies likes this.
  8. lionaire

lionaire Member

I thought Mike Miller did a pretty decent job in that short period so it makes sense that they would go in a completely different direction. After all, Knicks gonna Knick.

I'm just happy he's off the market tbh.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Interesting. Why do you say? Seems to me, tough as nails defensive minded authoritarians are what succeeds in NY. They can fade the media and harness the power of the garden.

if any team has needed a backbone over the last decade- it’s the Knicks.

Riley, Van Gundy has been the mold they are trying to get back to.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Can you really name anyone that would be a good coach for the Knicks under that ownership?

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The owner needs more discipline than the the players...

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

The only hope was the new front office would have some degree of innovation and control and would install a more progressive coach. It didn’t happen. This is yet again the same old Knicks... I will be shocked if Thibs lasts 2 full seasons.

13. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Knicks gonna Knick, how long til they trade all their young assets for Jimmy Butler?

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you that authoritarian coaches are what has won in NY, but there is no Ewing on this Knicks roster. The Knicks need to build and Thibs is not the person to do that as he tends to demand control of player moves/trades and typically looks short term.

studogg likes this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

The best players, or projected best players, are kids who either just came out of college or are 1/2/3 years removed from collegiate ball. I don't think it's easy to get non-vets to buy into Thibs' brand of hard-nosed defense nor his style of tough coaching.

Thibs has had veteran voices in the locker room like Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler, who were with him in both Chicago and Minny. It's a bit easier to get younger players to buy into his coaching if there's already vets that have been there, done that.

With the Knicks squad, you still have Gibson...but that's about it. These young guys are trying to secure the bag after their rookie deals expire. Easier to do when you show out on offense, as opposed to defense.

Thibs seems like the right coach for a win-now team, not a "we're 3 years away" team like the Knicks.

studogg likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

If we're talking any coach, then Nick Nurse. Has the pedigree and reputation (now) to be thick-skinned enough to not take any crap from the ownership/media, and has a brilliant coaching mind. I think he's also a "player's coach," but I dunno for sure.

If we're talking a current unemployed coach...then no idea lol.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Not sure how to feel about it. I know over the years, hoop heads have soured on Tibs. If the expectation is low, maybe Tibs will surprise us.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think he is fine for them. They've been a dumpster fire for so long. His brand will make them a low seeded playoff team at some point, which is about all you can hope for as a Knicks fan. His style won't do any better than that, but neither will that organization. Perfect match of mediocrity

Jayzers_100 and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Fair.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Breaking down scrubs until they overperform into the 8th seed is an A+ season for Doh-lan.