1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets vs Toronto Raptors Highlights...(Bubble Scrimmage) 7/24/20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Jul 24, 2020.

1. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Thx!

3. buffalobills!!!

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Exactly the ass-whooping we needed. Didn't want the guys getting confident before they've done their work.

More rust than I've ever seen. Raptors know each other, have great chemistry, play excellent defense, move the ball well on offense. Good test.

We looked like a team that has played together for 3 weeks and then disbanded for 4 months. I think we are going to improve our pre-pandemic performance more than any other top 6 team. No one else is as desperate for chemistry than us.

saleem likes this.
  5. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

We’ve always played bad @ Toronto so maybe it’s not so different.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think the Rox style is too extreme for the NBA, they should have pared it back instead of going full "r****d" with the no center strategy. By going ultra small with Tucker at center they kinda rely on the refs being strict with NBA rules to keep things fair and that's not gonna happen in the playoffs.

In playoff basketball people don't follow the rules as much and refs let guys play, it's almost like playground basketball already. I saw this game and the Raps esp Siakam had a couple of charges that got called an AND-1, and it's the Raptors man they don't have that Ref Bias.

The right approach is what the Raps do they still have spacing to allow Siakam and Lowry to penetrate but they still have big men like Ibaka on the team. Sure the spacing won't be as much but their defense and rebs won't take as huge a hit and guys can't just bulldoze their way for the dunk and foul.

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Exactly. Balance is the key in sports, we have no balance. If we go all small we should have superb defenders and rebounders but we dont have that

kjayp and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's still a league of superstars but the game has took a turn to learn from the Euroleague where teamwork shines above all.

Balance is life.

kjayp likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I still don't understand why we didn't go for 3 shooting big? Rebounds and rim protection are nice things to have

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Bigs cost.

D-rock and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We didn't get our asses whooped at all.

It was literally even when we pulled WB off at half, and then we were tied after the third and we pulled out Harden.

12. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Was thinking the same thing. Starters were pulled. What do you expect?

harold bingo likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not at all worried about the L, but we were very Russ-ty.

In fact, Russ himself at times seemed to have forgotten how to play New Russ style and kept slipping into his Old Russ persona.

Biggest disappointment: New and Improved EG looked suspiciously like Same Ol' EG.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  14. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

The red screen above the players bench is annoying to see during game play. Feels distracting

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I have lost all faith in EG after months of bricks...I expect garbage, but hope to be pleasantly surprised

it’s to the point where watching him brick and try his tragic drives to the rim annoys the hell outta me...I often hope some team is dumb enough to take him and save us from his trash play and contract

topfive, harold bingo and D-rock like this.
  16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this. I missed the beginning of the game and taped the re-air on NBA TV. Classic sleaze move: They edited out the part where the Rockets went on an early run. I guess because it was the Raptors' broadcast team?

Just for that, I refuse to pronounce the second T in Toronto.

saleem, bleedroxred79 and D-rock like this.
  17. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Just curious, will the games that aren’t available on national tv be able to be seen on local channels or anything?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Houston Rockets unit is not known for having an excellent defense mechanism. James Harden led from the front and put on the show that was expected of him. He scored 24 points and got some help from Danuel House Jr. and Russell Westbrook. Although they tasted defeat, the following comment from Nick Nurse would make them feel better.

“…and then offensively, probably noticed I didn’t run much, didn’t call many plays, didn’t do much. Houston kind of allows you to play, you know, a whole game against, uh, you know constant switching and it’s not that easy to play offense against because their premise is, you know they’re gonna do whatever they can to keep two in front of the ball, to keep it out of the paint so you work pretty hard to conjure up some offense at times and it’s good practice to kind of make the guys work their way through that.”

https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...auds-houston-rockets-in-a-surprising-comment/