1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predictive stats for pitchers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jul 22, 2020.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I know there are quite a few people on the board who are really good at understanding the importance of advanced stats

Looking specifically at pitchers, if you could choose 2 stats that you think are more predictive of future performance, what would they be?

Things like ERA, WHIP, OPS against all tell you what they have done but don't really predict what it likely in their future

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

xwOBA (35% correlation to next year's wOBA) and FIP (36%) are the ones I like that are easy to obtain. There are similar stats slightly better than FIP, but I like that it is simple and provides a good contrast to xwOBA.

#2 Joe Joe, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

4. The Beard

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This might cull out some good pitchers but ... league leading WHIP pitchers are always really good pitchers.

The Beard likes this.
  6. The Beard

Yea, I’m working on a project and trying to add one or two of the “new” stats in

No Worries likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should add predicting minor league pitching with stats is tough. A high K%-BB% is a somewhat decent stat for that. Not great correlation, but [insert dumb and dumber so you are telling me there's a chance meme].

Among upper level pitchers with greater than 80 innings last season, Urquidy was 2nd in K%-BB%. Javier was 3rd.

#7 Joe Joe, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Based off the title of the thread, here are my predictive stats:

JV: 15-0
    Zack: 15-0
    LMJ: 15-0
    Urdquidy: 6-0
    James: 4-0
    Bullpen: 5-0