1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley - Chris Paul kicking Houston's butt would be the greatest thing I've seen in a long time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I still don't understand all this obsession with ring. There are lots of things that contribute to winning a championship that are not controlled by the player. Teammates, opponents, luck, injuries, officiating, just to name a few. Nash could have won a ring if not for a stupid suspension in the Spurs series. Would that move him over CP and Stockton?

People are putting so much weight in rating players on something they had very little control.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hear me out on this wild, crazy, insane scenario:

Presti uses his now-filled stock of draft picks and is an astute-enough judge of talent and potential to select not one, not two, but THREE future Hall of Famers in consecutive years. Can you imagine how many titles they'd win?!?

If he didn't f$#k up and end up with none of them a few years down the road, of course.

basso and D-rock like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That’s fine. There’s a few scenarios where CP3 gets a ring: foundational star, role player, hanger on. If he tags on for one like McGrady tried to do with the Spurs and gets a ring does that alone really make him better than Stockton? I would say no. But if he leads OKC to a title, sure that’s a game changer. I think his career ends up better than Stockton anyways. But it’s really splitting hairs, these are among the best of the best pgs.

4. s3ts

s3ts Member

I don't want to discredit what you're saying. It probably means I'd emphatically rather take Stockton over CP.

But the shoulda-woulda-coulda that would allow me to view CP differently is in the difference of winning a chip and not winning one.

If it means he didn't get injured in that G6 in WCF against GSW, sure. But that's a lot of things to me, maybe he changes his style or try not to be so physical, or lose a lot of his weight so the change in pace he uses doesn't put so much stress on his legs, etc. AFAIK, he didn't have a freak injury, it's a part of his physique, body, and the type of game he plays, which defines him as a player. If you change that, he's a better player to me, and probably can get closer to winning a chip than he got thus far.

Again, I'm not taking away your point, and I probably view Stockton as just the better player. But I really can't just say a ring doesn't change my perspective of CP, I think he'd have to change substantially to be getting that close. Stockton is just one such case, and he still got closer to the chip than these other guys.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Imagine him picking 3 more MVP winning players.

Again.

And still F it up somehow.

RayRay10 and topfive like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I do agree that health is part of what defines a player. Durability is a quality that affects one's greatness. That puts players like Stockton and Nash higher up in the all time ranking than if they had not played at a high level for so long. What good is a player if he can't suit up to play?

daywalker02 and s3ts like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Everyone wants to see cp3 versus harden.

Really wanna see harden late against okc.

8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is the one matchup I would rather not see, OKC is tough and smart, and with a similar record they will be confident and probably still have the lack of pressure as a perceived underdog. Just a bad combination of things. If the games were played at home arenas with fans I would have given them the edge here too. With the games played in Orlando I would think Houston wins, but who knows too many unknown variables this season.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Underrated stat but IMO all it took was the right environment.

It was close that year, but all those players bricking 3s, it would have been hard as well.

Easy likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The owner let OKC down and Harden became available to us. Durant ran away like a coward. It’s no use to retain one.

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  11. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Scary scenario, let's try to get away from the drama. I'm not sure our guys are built for these kind of emotional matchups, as much as I love them.

Now, you could try to see the glass half full and this is a team in OKC with no winners. Shai is young an unproven, Gallo has not won, neither CP3. We would be the veteran team and I believe this is a coaching matchup that goes to us.

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Barkley right now

[​IMG]

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

LMAO...I forgot about this thread

this series will be a goldmine of just huge L’s taken...stop overhyping and overrating whatever team OKC trots out year after year

some of the posts on CF showing so much fear for a non-shooting team with no star...it was sad tbh

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Charles this morning:

[​IMG]

Surfguy, TWS1986 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Fans of Barkley that claim to be Rockets fans. After game 6 this man had a smug face while sipping on his mug.

RayRay10 likes this.