1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] A possible Disney campus byproduct: Rebirth of the Super team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jul 18, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-possible...-rebirth-of-the-nba-super-team-231912443.html

dachuda86 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i hope zion teams up with doncic or t-yung.

daywalker02 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hhhmmm what young star could morey have his eyes on????

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Alternative headline: "Coach says something off the top of his head and it becomes a headline"

gatsby, Handles, RustyHarden and 10 others like this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

T-yung - Yung-T.

Jontro likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One that will play for peanuts.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Christian Wood

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mickey Mouse boat > Banana boat.

10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Vince Carter

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’ve said it before, there are practical steps the NBA could take to curtail this. Something as simple as limiting how many players from the same team can be all-stars would make a difference, I believe. But I suppose the NBA is actually happy with super teams existing, even if it makes things less competitive.

BigShasta and Easy like this.
  12. rockets13champs

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Florida won't be an attractive destination if the players don't have confidence it can weather emergency events well... not just pandemics but hurricanes.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I used to think that competitiveness would be good for the NBA and wondered why they were not trying harder to that end. Now I have realized that from the business point of view, super teams are good for business because they make good narratives and attract casual fans. The most ideal scenario is that there is a super team in each conference so that the excitement can be built right up to the Finals. And if one of them gets upset, they can always shift the narrative to a David & Goliath or Cinderella story.

Only "real" fans like to watch a balanced competitive league. Most casual fans only want to watch "great" teams.

There are many ways to curtail player collusion in forming super buddy teams. Neither the owners nor the players want to do it. The only people who hate this kind of things are die hard fans like us.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The easiest practical step is to eliminate the max contract. When Lebron, Harden, Giannis make 50-60 million a year, it pretty much eliminates the possibility of two real stars on the same team.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That has been brought up. A hard cap and the elimination of max contract would eradicate super teams. That would probably be the most effective way, but not the easiest way because the Players Association would reject it. The super stars would suck up a huge percentage of the middle class players' incomes.

GotGame15 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably not diehard enough, Harden, Bosh and Dwert would have been interesting to say the least.

What's the middle of the spectrum between real fans and chill ones?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fans always want their teams to be super. If Harden was able to recruit Durant and LeBron to play as Rockets together, 90% of CFers would be ecstatic. Forget about how much they used to despise Durant and LeBron.

But if you were a diehard fan of a team and some players got together to form a super team that's not your team, you'd hate it because you'd know that the championship had been determined for the duration of that super team's existence. The league does not care about it because they know the diehard fans will always stick around. It's the casual fans that will lose interest if there is no exciting narrative for them to follow.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I rarely had the problem but I can grasp where you are coming from.

This virus taught us life is short, what's not to like about a super team, esp. when it's one's own.

Put things into perspective.

If you love watching basketball, you will come to love and appreciate teamwork, role players, every cut, every screen, the nitty gritty.

They just dun luv the game as they should be.

This super trio thing is merely getting the job done, winning it all.

I say one should appreciate the contending days and the days trying to get to the lottery all alike.

#19 daywalker02, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Easy likes this.
  20. rockets13champs

Going forward I don’t think that’s gonna be a major concern for free agents.

HoustonTexas likes this.