1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook tested positive for COVID-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Jul 13, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn you Florida

2. Nook

Nook Member

"Daryl, I am not paying Westbrook for the time he is missing with the Corona virus. Tell him we will furlough him and he can collect unemployment. When he is cleared we will start paying him again." - Tillman Fertitta

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

for me it's there business. if they wanted to share whatever they're going through just like anyone of us goes through something then do so. if not, doesn't bother me.

Ryan Broekoff isn't with Philly right now yet. But it isn't bc he tested positive. It's bc his wife did and they have a young son. Which he willingly put out for the world to know, just like wb just did

Deuce and DreamShook like this.
  4. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

It is really embarrassing the way the NBA handles all the information on this matter (SARS-CoV-2). It seems that it was an amateur league.
    Nor can I understand how elite players do not seriously face the problem and take the proper precautions. Once the news of the resumption of the season was confirmed, the players who were going to participate in the bubble had to comply with a strict quarantine. As simple as that.

cerophilik likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

This.

As long as their absence is excused by the team, it is their business.

malakas, BigMaloe, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So now since the number of players are more for either missing or delay to Orlando.

I wont be surprised to see the NBA will :

1. reduce the 8 pre-playoff games into 4 games.

2. and then let the first round of playoff start with top 4 seeds (8 if you count both east and west) taking a bye, and the rest will start the pre-first round of playoff (with higher seed only need to win 1/3).

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The players are rich and young, the overwhelming vast majority of them are going to be out and about....... also in fairness to them, they play a sport where they are in close contact to each other, and a lot of them have been playing each other to stay in game shape.

Ideally everyone would be as cautious as realistically possible, but the states cannot even agree on how to tackle to quarantine or not.

Everything is a mess and the league and players are a reflection of that........ as for the league, I will tell you that I have had a number of people involved with teams tell me that the league has put a lot of time and effort into restarting and have spoken with a number of experts.

joshuaao, edwardc and tinman like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

none of this is happening

9. Nook

Nook Member

I think it is an all or nothing situation....... either they have the playoff series under the rules they set or they shut it all down.

They are not going to completely limp to the end.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup and so far the bubble is absolutely working

RocketRed84 likes this.
  11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's also significant because now the Rockets can talk about it. (Not in detail, of course, but at least the steps to him being cleared and traveling to Florida.)

Unless the player makes it public, there's literally nothing the team can say, so we just get vague comments from the coach/GM with no real clarity. Now that it's out there, my guess is D'Antoni can be a little more forward tonight about the timetable and what the next steps are.

jcf, DreamShook and Nook like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree, it's their business why they are not in the bubble. I have never said it was my right to know why they are missing from the bubble. I'm free to assume they have COVID if they don't have a reason. I could be right or wrong, it doesn't matter. None of this matters.

Ryan Broekoff gave you a reason why he wasn't in Orlando.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with the protocol that an employer cannot discuss your medical condition without approval. I just wanted to add that I am glad that Westbrook came forward because there is a stigma against COVID19 infected people. If we want to beat their virus we need people to self quarantine but we also don't want people being afraid to get tested because of shame or fail to tell people who could of been exposed to get tested out of fear of judgment.

jcf, malakas, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  14. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I understand your point and I agree, when the "official voices" are not entirely clear, it is very difficult to plan something successfully. But I think that the league and the participating teams should have been more rigorous in terms of sanitary demands on their players.

Nook likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

like what actual babysitting? you're dealing with grown men on their own time that all go through everyday life just like anyone else. no idea what demands you realistically think is actually plausible

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is it forbidden to wait for leaks?

Hope not.

I mean the truth always comes out, it's up to them to break the news or it will come out days or weeks later.

Agreed, in the end it doesn't matter except people can move on from speculating rather sooner than later.

#56 daywalker02, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget they hang out with each other and hang out with rappers with meaningless lyrics at strip clubs

18. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I give you a simple example, it was enough to quarantine 15 days before reaching the bubble and complete two tests during that period. As you say, we are talking about adult people who should understand their responsibility, but part of the problem is that the official directives (at all levels) on this subject are unclear.

jcf likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Doesn’t seem like it was much of a clear problem when what the majority of the league is in Orlando now and doing just fine thus far

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also, they are doing westbrook a favor by furloughing him so he can get those unemployment checks.