1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

Is it just a fluke that every single other developed country in the world was able to control the virus? Florida had 15,000 cases yesterday. All of Europe had 11,000, with more than half of that being Russia. Australia+NZ had 244.

This whole "there's no good solution" thing is absolute nonsense. Everyone else managed to figure out the solution.

Nook, malakas, Ziggy and 5 others like this.
  2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I think part of the reason for this is that people in the US have not taken it seriously as a whole. I have family members that just genuinely don't care. "I can't live in fear" outlook (which I can understand the sentiment, but disagree with the context). Mask wearing probably should have been implemented much earlier on, but let's not act like every other developed nation has it "figured out." There are a lot of factors at play, and I don't think other countries are doing it better simply bc of actions from their respective governments.

Side note - I realize that masks are effective in a vacuum, but one issue I see (and I have) is that it is almost impossible to not touch your face more often when wearing (adjusting the mask, etc.) It's still better to wear a mask than not wear one, but these damn things suck absolute ass especially with our 100 degree weather.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am laying blame on the people who are most directly responsible for this mess. Its the ignorant people who keep making ignorant choices despite being told by the masses their choices are not wise. Im not denying Trump is a problem. But Trump is not telling people to go to COVID parties. Yes, things would be a bit better if we had better leadership, but we would not be Japan or New Zealand. Regardless of who was in office, these people would still resist.
    And im over people posting idiotic tweets that suggest the low deaths in Japan is because everyone is wearing masks. Yes, its one facet. There are many others. Like not going to COVID parties. Or 4th of July parties. Or bars. Or actually social distancing. Avoiding large crowds. Avoiding enclosed places for long periods of time like dine in restaurants. Or their general population not being overweight and unhealthy.

Biden and masks are not going to fix this problem alone. I continually see smart people take unnecessary high risks all while berating other people for not taking other precautionary measures.

NotInMyHouse, Ubiquitin and STR8Thugg like this.
  4. Space Ghost

Don't bother. Too many here are taking Tilmans appoach. Shut up and listen.
    Just shut up and wear something. Don't be concerned if its an effective mask. Dont be concerned about how many times you should wash it. Don't concerned yourself the mask could be accumulating the virus and you should not touch the actual mask itself. All of that is irrelevant and you're too stupid to be educated. Just blame the leaders who question masks, but by no means whatsoever should we fault them for telling us not to wear a mask in the beginning when anyone with a little bit of critical thinking skills should know a mask will at least help a little. And dont fault them for not pushing more important ways to reduce infections.

Japan is doing great ... until this:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/okinaw...an-locked-down-covid-outbreak-july-4-parties/

Im not sure which politican we should be blaming for this ... when there is a complete failure in the massive chain of command.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I mean thank you. Exactly. But don't forget it's 100% Trump's fault and he's a white demon racist w/ orange skin and bad hair.

6. Space Ghost

Can we compromise? 99%

7. Buck Turgidson

malakas and Ziggy like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

FYI @malakas is from Greece. Europe enacted some extreme measures (fines, jail time) to contain the spread. Honestly, I would say, yes we should of used fear to make people abide by the rules. It's that simple.

This illusion of freedom can be a damn disease in this nation. Like I said in a previous, this is not rocket science, it's possible to contain the virus. This isn't like the movie Outbreak where the virus can easily penetrate your body by simply breathing the air that others breathe. The US half-assed enacting measures from the very beginning and have still half-assed it up till this point.

It's not ****ing difficult.
    • Wear a mask, make sure you wash properly or dispose off after the day is finished.
    • Social distance, don't visit anybody, just stay at your house and facetime people.
    • Limit trips to the stores.
    • Do no convene in groups greater than 10.
    The American government has made it difficult to deal with this because we have an idiot at the post that refuses to enact strict measures. He chose to let the states handle it, fine, but then you have the states doing the same stupid **** that the president did.

I mean look at Houston, Hidalgo/Turner wanted to enact stay-at-home orders. They wanted to enforce wearing a mask by handing out fines. Etc. What happens, you have idiot governor through executive order withdraw the goodwill of our local politicians. Then you have ignorant officials surrounding the City area (I'm looking at you Montgomery and Galveston County judges) being all outspoken about "infringement of rights".

Let's face it, this country doesn't know how ****ing react to a pandemic. Our economy was going to go to **** no matter what, but now we people either dying, infected and surviving but with likely long term issues, etc, along with an economy that is in recession.

If other countries with large populations have been able to contain it, why can't we? But nope, we can't, because we are in civil war within our own borders bickering among each other of the best way to deal with this. The government is gung-ho and afraid to step up to the plate and tell regions of the country, sorry folks, but we are going to have to shut down. I get it too, because we don't have a safety net for people to fall back on, except a measly $1,200 one time check. Senate republicans have had a bill that's been on their desk since May 15 and they've done jack **** about it besides declare it dead on arrival. They are so ****ing afraid of social welfare, that they are willing to jeopardize people's well beings in order to argue about a few billions dollars worth of debt to help out Americans. You think I feel any sympathy for these ****ers knowing damn well they've given corporate tax cuts to the wealthy, over and over and over.

You know what, **** all those people, because we could of contain this long ago and instead of being worried about party lines, we could of issued a good financial package that allowed people to keep the lights on, keep food on the table and a roof over their head. We could of made the hard decision to shut down regions of the US and contain the spread entirely. Flatten out the curve entirely.

If for the very least during the soft openings, we could of preached about masks and social distancing and educate the public of how to beat the virus, we could of beat this.

But here we are, months in, record cases, shaky economy, etc.

Sorry, I'm tired of all the bullshit. Life doesn't have to be this complicated.

pahiyas, Nook, elrond and 5 others like this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Every other developed nation in the world also is more comfortable with more government intervention in their lives. They all enjoy single payer healthcare for example while we have to make job choices based on health insurance benefits. When something like this happens the populace follows the rules without throwing fits and they are now reaping the benefits.

Americans on the other hand are more concerned with their rights then their responsibilities. The slightest notion of additional rules, laws, taxes and we want to pull out our Don’t Tread on Me flags and quote Franklin about liberty and security.

What makes you great can also be your weakness when you lack balance and flexibility. That’s what I see now.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Disagree on this. Maybe try a different mask type?

Asian Sensation likes this.
  11. Asian Sensation

This. I was wearing masks with thicker velcro straps that pulled down on my ears (super uncomfortable after 15 mins) and had to take it off for a bit and then put it back on. Found some different ones with thinner straps that are a bit more stretchy and super comfortable. I could wear these all day without readjusting/touching if I had to.

EnerPlex Premium 3-Ply Reusable Face Mask Available in Multiple Sizes - Breathable Comfort, Non-Surgical Safety Mask, Fully Machine Washable, Face Masks for Home Office Work Outdoors - Large (3-Pack)

12. Buck Turgidson

A pub landlord has put an electric fence in front of his bar to encourage customers to keep social distancing.

Jonny McFadden, who runs the Star Inn in St Just, Cornwall, said there was limited space in his bar which only served drinks and no food.

He described the barrier as "just a normal electric fence that you would find in a field".

Asked if it was switched on, Mr McFadden said: "Come and find out - there is a fear factor and it works."

Mr McFadden said he had struggled to get the social distancing message across to some customers in the bar because "when you serve people a drink they change".

He said the fence worked because "people keep away from it, people are like sheep".

He added: "They know it is a fence and don't want to touch it to find out whether it is on or not."

The landlord said his customers were happy with the fencing and it had generated a lot of laughs.

One person who did not see the funny side was Mr McFadden's insurance broker.

"He was a bit worried but then that is what he is there for," he said.

"He rang a nephew of mine and said 'I hope he is not electrocuting people'.

"Well come and find out if I am."

[​IMG]

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-53389977

malakas likes this.
  13. Asian Sensation

Someone should pour their drink on it to make sure it works or not.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's just so strange to me how wearing a piece of cloth on your face can spur that kind of outlook. Everything else (washing your hands after touching stuff, staying 6ft from people) is seemingly basic hygiene.

People are acting like wearing a mask is the equivalent of doing something really difficult every time, yet people wear hats, earrings, sunglasses, etc. All of these take either the same amount of time to put on your head, or in the case of earrings, an even longer duration.

If wearing a mask is physically difficult or somewhat painful, then I can understand people "giving up" and not wearing a mask all the time. But it's one of the easiest things to do, and you don't even have to have it on 24/7.

15. Buck Turgidson

They don't work like that, being that they're made to be used outdoors in the weather and such. Never tried pissing on one though.

It's a lot of fun when you're crossing one while hunting, and you push the wire down with your gunstock, and you step halfway over, and the wire slips and hits you right in the balls.

#9095 Buck Turgidson, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Nook and Kim like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Judging from one of my cousin's screams, I don't think it is a pleasant experience.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

It isnt February anymore. Yes there is a solution that now guarantees success out of the immediate mess. Lockdown. Get the Ro way bellow 1, suppress the spread and then go out wearing masks.
    Didnt NY lockdown? Arent they americans?

Jail time? Yes I think people who have tested positive and are active cases and go out of their houses, having covid parties, bbqs etc should be arrested because they are potentially mass murderers.

Nook likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

19. malakas

malakas Member

Oh people have been throwing fits ALL the time.

Not everyone is a good obedient CCP brainwashed citizen.
    I dont know about the far east but in europe everywhere there was a significant part of the population that had been throwing fits and there were even protests against the lockdown.

Even in Germany who are mostly rule abiding, there were teenagers having beer parties in parks.
    In France hundreds decided to go for vacation in the seaside to take advantage of the lockdown.

And so on and so on.

The difference was that the politicians listened to the scientists and all parties became united to face the crisis everywhere.
    They made emergency laws and whoever broke them -and there were many- faced the consequences as you do when you break normal laws.

No matter you will go in lockdown whether you like it or not or you will die.
    I cant be more blunt than that.
    You dont have any options left in Houston anymore.

Nook likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

Great point! This was me in my early years. Now I understand the importance of dialogue and understanding why someone chooses their position, regardless of how absurd it may be. Now the fringe is getting the representation from both sides and the voice of reason is being drowned out.