1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Wearing a mask doesn't just save lives, it can also help people save money. If the United States were to mandate that all Americans wear masks, it would save the country from deleterious economic lockdowns that would reduce the gross domestic product by 5%, or about $1 trillion, according to an analysis by Goldman Sachs.

Sanctity, malakas, marky :) and 2 others like this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what you say Knot and now Mask export @Commodore

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It also comes down to the 'comfortability' of the masks. Master craft something breathable and economical, people will wear it. Life is too short to let a pandemic linger on....

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've brought this up before but Hong Kong with a very dense population, a major travel hub, and bordering the PRC has a tiny amount of cases and deaths compared to the US. Much of HK has opened up. It is very difficult to maintain social distance in HK but mask wearing is almost religious there.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I just listened to an interview with Dr. Borsa, the President and CEO of Harris Health Group that manages many hospitals in the Houston Area. Good news is that while restrictions were in place those did slow down the rise of the disease and gave hospitals time to stock up and increase capacity. He said that currently there isn't a shortage of PPE and other equipment for his staff. This might explain while even though cases and hospitalizations are up the death toll hasn't shot up.

He did warn that the continuation of a surge of cases will tax resources and particularly human resources.

ElPigto, joshuaao, No Worries and 3 others like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Thats not all they did though.
    If I am not mistaken with some other region, didnt they put tracker ankle bracelets to people in quarantine to monitor them 24/7?

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

HK did do contact tracing but I'm not aware of them putting ankle bracelets on people. From what I remember is they used cell phone apps.

RayRay10 and malakas like this.
  8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

RayRay10 and malakas like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah it was monitor bracelets turns out. It also tracked your house so you wouldnt step out. Hard to see how this would be allowed in the west.

RayRay10 and Blatz like this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. vlaurelio

TheRealist137 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. vlaurelio

we have a perpertual supply of resources especially human @Commodore

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nah, I rather granny die so I can do muh duty of getting muh haircut AND feel free!

malakas, Nook, Ubiquitin and 3 others like this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure there are plenty of highly educated highly qualified honest women with less scandals in their past who could be better candidates. But, honestly, it wouldn't take much of a candidate to be smarter, less corrupt, and more qualified than Trump.

15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

16. Buck Turgidson

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm imagining how bad the anti-lockdown protests would be if she was President. At the same time Hannity et al would be literally screaming "Bloody Murder" and leading off their shows with the daily death toll.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's always projection with the Republicans. Their accusation of Democrats cheering on Covid JUST TO damage Trump is exactly what they would be doing if Hillary or Obama were in power. The conspiracy theories too that Hillary was in cahoots on some sort of population control experiment would be through the roof. Trumpers still think that's the case even though Trump is the president.

I still think that the outcomes would be MUCH better though. I think you'd see most Governors following detailed guidelines. You'd see MASS production coming out of use of the defense production act. You'd see coordination with the WHO and all countries back in January to prevent global spread. Free testing would be basically in every town.

Yes.... wearing masks would still be hard to enforce. Yes... there would be insane protests from those on the right. Yes.... the results would probably still be fairly bad here because of the inability for our general public to come together in a response to social distance and wear a mask, but it wouldn't be nearly this bad.

Reeko, Kim, deb4rockets and 3 others like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I tell you... the trump defenders (like the "great" mark levin) have so little to say to support trump or to defend what he has done that they reeeeaaaaaaach for the worst gotchas... like, this one:

deb4rockets, malakas and RayRay10 like this.