1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

TWO false negatives and an incoclusive? Hmmmm.....dont they use PCR?

2. rockets13champs

imagine seeing Morey do this. It would be so cool

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not sure. As background, the MLS protocols (at least the entry ones) don't seem nearly as thorough as the NBA or most other leagues. For example, in the case of one team that was withdrawn due to homegrown cases, they didn't test the day before travel (and they were coming from a hot spot in Dallas). They also didn't have the two-day quarantine period upon arrival, as the NBA does.

The NWSL had a similar withdrawal of one of its teams just before its bubble started. They got it from a team trip to a bar in their home market. But like MLS, the positive percentages have gone down at the site.

That's why this is the most important week of all for the NBA, in my opinion. While their entry protocols are more thorough, it would be a surprise if there aren't at least a couple cases that still slip through due to an extended incubation period. Whether their protocols are sufficient enough to prevent that from turning into a much wider outbreak will tell the tale.

dmoneybangbang, malakas and jch1911 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would it?

rockets13champs likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

PJ reminding everyone to wash hands and "stay out of the way" (social distance).

malakas and jch1911 like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because your relentless tunnel vision cheerleading in the face what was obviously a huge mistake would be funny if it weren't such a goddamed tragedy.

I just don't have the energy to dig up the nonsense you were spewing a few months ago about a falling curve and hot weather limiting transmission and laughable comparison of the US to Europe or that the NBA is doing a public service by encouraging people to stay home and watch - it's literally too upsetting for me to read through to get a cheap internet burn out of it anymore.

Second, no I'm not of a mind to bet $$ on COVID19 body count being enough for the NBA to admit maybe this isn't such a hot idea, per your suggestion, for 2 reasons - 1. Never underestimate the ability of billionaires to step over a mountain of human bodies as they go about their business and 2. It's kind of macabre and just terrible?

Listen I get covering the NBA is your hustle but I partially blame the league, the ****wads in Florida and its cheering section for driving the May June disaster in which we all decided Coronavirus was over and we need to start reopening.

Obviously they were all wrong. UFC cards notwithstanding.

8. The Cat

Warm weather does limit transmission, which is why experts draw a huge distinction between outdoor dining and indoor dining, for example. Unfortunately, if people decide to congregate in huge numbers indoors and government policies don't sufficiently incentivize that behavior, then you're giving away that advantage. Similarly, the U.S. was in a fairly comparable position to most of Europe in early May. We screwed it up (on a relative basis) courtesy of reopening policies that were far too aggressive and politicizing common sense measures like wearing masks. As far as the curve, hospitalizations and deaths did consistently decline for some time. It's changing now because of idiocy.

If you want to blame me or the NBA for playing a role in that, I obviously don't think that's fair, but whatever. I'll agree to disagree and respect it. But it's certainly not "nonsense." We were in a decent position in early May. We pissed it away (as a country) through a series of catastrophic political decisions. If you want to talk more about that, we can do it in the D&D, or I'm happy to talk to you offline, as I've offered before. My preference is to deal with that through my actions in the coming months, such as knocking on doors, making calls, etc. (just as in 2018).

If you're going to blame the NBA and/or supporters of the restart (like me) for playing a role, I can't stop you. But the awful state we're in now doesn't retroactively invalidate any comments about the manageable state that we were in 6+ weeks ago.

P.S. I would also point out that the successful returns of Bundesliga in Germany and the Premier League in the U.K. proves that sports leagues don't have to have a correlation with the population's desire to reopen prematurely. That's about bad politicians. As far as COVID goes, I think it's more productive to focus on that than trying to swipe at each other.

#1588 The Cat, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Deuce, malakas, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

these thots stay lying for attention...maybe she did, but I’m not taking her word for it

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/12/flo...-new-coronavirus-cases-shattering-record.html

[Nearly 143,000 people were tested Saturday in Florida with 11.25% of the results coming back positive for coronavirus. That’s Florida’s lowest rate of positive test results since the end of June as more people receive tests. On Wednesday, the percentage of people tested who were positive for the virus was much higher at 18.35%.]

^^^ more than 2x as many tests administered compared to the prior week's daily average is naturally going to yield more positive cases. but the percentage of tests being positive is down the most in 2 weeks

and the bulk of this is going on in miami hundreds of miles away from the nba bubble. in orange county they're averaging less than 2 covid deaths a day

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if they arrive mid-week they're not gonna practice till next weekend. damn

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

A big F U to ESPN.

15. The Cat

Just a heads up, that interview is from late March. Guess they repurposed it because they want as much content as they can get (they definitely posted it this weekend), just wanted to clarify that Tucker actually did it on IG at the end of March.

D-rock likes this.
  16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

What did Woj get suspended for?

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He told a republican politician "**** you" through company email.

D-rock likes this.
  18. The Cat

By the way, not sure if we want to start a new thread for training camp updates, since this thread has become somewhat political with our discussions. But as far as basketball, D'Antoni was super positive tonight about Gordon. The quote by itself doesn't fully do it justice... he largely went out of his way to discuss how sharp and healthy he has looked the last two days. MDA isn't typically a big "unsolicited practice praise" guy with the media, so it felt noteworthy.

joshuaao, daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

Noone should blame you for saying something most experts themselves were saying about the warm weather. Granted by May there was a LOT of evidence that the warm weather isnt enough even with the lower survivability of the virus however most experts kept saying it.
    If not for the location which is Florida I dont have a problem with the bubble except I am against the old nba coaches participating.
    However with the way things have become ..its unfeasible for pr and health safety reason to continue. I am an NBA fan but I regard the lives and wellbeing of the nba personel not more important than the Disney staff. Even if the players are safe there are thousands who will be working to make this work. People should stay home it is too dangerous.
    Also I saw many videos by players and pretty much like 90% of the employees there were obese. From the porter to the security. Even more reason that these employees should stay home.

20. The Cat

Warm weather isn't enough by itself, absolutely not. It just should have been a clear net positive when combined with common sense policy measures and decisions. Unfortunately, those did not happen, and here we are.

malakas likes this.