1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

No.
    Thats why every country does whatever because there is no good study on children.
    The rule of thumb is the extent of the symptoms is proportionate with the infectiousness and to the time. Who has more symptoms is more infectious and for longer time than a asymptomatic.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The USA will gladly make our children test rats for the civilized world to study.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

it just destroyed his lungs and kidneys...he couldn’t believe it because he was so young

he was an athlete...he wasn’t some obese kid with a slew of health problems...for some reason, his body just had a severe reaction to the virus

the vast majority of deaths have been from the elderly as we all know, but the young and middle aged are dying as well...talk to any doctor that has treated these Covid patients and they’ll tell u

there are a lot of people, especially in the 30-50 age range, who think they are healthy and in good condition when in actuality they are clinically obese and don’t have perfect health...people overestimate their own bodies, get reckless, and then end up in the hospital struggling to combat the virus

Doctors just need to continue trying to get through to these idiots who refuse to take the virus seriously. U won’t listen to Fauci or the CDC, but will u at least listen to your primary care physician who’s been seeing u for years? Stop listening to these dumb politicians, google physicians, and random people/friends on FB or Twitter. The people who are actually in the field seeing these patients every day are saying it’s no joke, listen to them.

keep up these Covid parties, continue the reopening of places like Disney World in a hot spot like Florida, or continue fighting mask usage...we will continue to have no hope of getting this virus under control

How is the U.S. handling this virus so badly when we’re supposed to be the greatest nation on Earth? The lack of leadership and downright stupidity of the public has been astounding.

#9023 Reeko, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    superfob, SamFisher, Jontro and 4 others like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You should be. Everyone should be scared of this virus. It’s not a joke.

5. Xerobull

Honestly, I was hoping people would snap to this months ago. The less healthy you are, regardless of age, the worse this virus will be. I’m 100% sure after the dust settles and the data comes out it will show healthier countries than the US suffering far less hospitalizations and deaths.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Only time it seemed the majority of Americans had their waist trim was when cocaine was in everything.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Schools have opened in many countries around the world for weeks if not months now. But after they put the virus under control..not with hundreds of deaths and 60k cases a day.

Here they opened in May and will reopen in September if everything goes well. They only reopened when the Ro was under 0,3 and there were less than 50 cases per day in 10 million.

Nook likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

FYI for those idiots who think that lockdown is just economic disaster and there is no end to it, most of the EU has resumed life as normal.

Bars, restaurants, schools, gyms , SPORTS are open.
    Tourism and hotels are open. Borders are mostly open. Airplanes and ships are travelling.
    Everything is almost normal except wearing masks.

The UK took a little longer to resume normal life but then thats because they took measures the latest of all.

Once you lockdown it doesnt mean you have to stay locked down until a vaccine.:rolleyes:
    Heck Italy and Spain are now welcoming european tourists.

I went to a restaurant and cinema this month and I dont fear for my life anymore. There is football in the tv to watch..I am planning to go for vacation in an island next month.
    You dont even realise that there is a virus out there reaping lives with how everything went back to normal.

Take early measures and keep them until the spread is suppressed and life is back to normal without many sacrifices.

Nook, superfob, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  9. Xerobull

There’s a point of no return, which I hope we haven’t passed.

Back in the day, hookworms were an epidemic in the US South. How did they curb this epidemic? No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Make the mask a mandate for all public places and stores, and the Virus is down to manageable numbers.

Nook, MadMax and malakas like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Texas, Florida, Arizona and some other stated have to lockdown for a while because no mask wearing is enough to curb the spread at this point.

But after that life can go back to almost normal with mask wearing and even schools can be opened safely without risking the lives of teachers and parents.

Discipline now for freedom and health tomorrow. It isnt so hard.

Nook likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Feels like we'll never get to those numbers here.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s too damn hot for a pandemic.

Joe Joe and davidio840 like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Winter is coming.

14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Is this the longest thread on the BBS (or hangout)? It’s probably going to be ongoing for a while. I just saw Florida has 15,300 cases today and it’s only 1pm over there. Is that number new positives since midnight?!

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

As the article mentions, # of antibodies is only part of the story. As long as the body retains the knowledge of how to produce the antibodies, you could basically produce the antibodies when infected. It's unclear how it all works with Covid-19 specifically. But I think the strongest evidence we have right now is that 12 million people have been infected, and there's almost no evidence of reinfection so far. If people didn't have much immunity, you'd think we'd start seeing people from the Jan/Feb/Mar timeframe starting to get reinfected here and there.

jchu14 and malakas like this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

That wont protect from infection. It will make the second infection less severe. You will not immunoligally naive but still can catch it.

In January- beginning of March who could reliably test a large part of the population - esp asymptomatics who would be more likely of re infections- with the crappy tests available? Only S. Korea at best who indeed found re infenctions.

Nook likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure that was @Major point. Re-infection may be less potent. Obviously not enough data yet to make any sort of confident claim, but I think that's the point of his post.

Regarding your earlier posts about opening back up, I agree with you. Many of us have stated this multiple times, that we half-assed it in the US and we will pay dearly with it with lives. I was bummed out last night just thinking of the poor response our country has had thus far. I'm not surprised, but I was hoping for a glimmer of hope somewhere.

I sometimes find myself arguing with idiots of facebook and at some point I just stop and let them be. There is no point. I'd like to resume back to a normal life and I know it can be done, this isn't ****ing rocket science nor is the virus so damn potent that there is not a way to minimize the spread. It's hard to live in an environment like the one we have in the US right now. I really really really would love to move elsewhere, it's too bad my wife won't cooperate.

Space Ghost, Major and malakas like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

On South Korea, I think they decided those people weren't actually reinfected, and it was just bad tests picking up evidence of dead virus. Obviously even with that, the "protection period" might only be 6-9 months, meaning people could get reinfected later. But so far, it looks like people at least get 4-6 months of some kind of protection.

AroundTheWorld, Ubiquitin and malakas like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

It was incoclusive especially considering the unreliabillity of the 10 minute tests in Feb- March.Just some theories. Wuhan reported similar cases as well but again..no evidence due to unreliable early testing.
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of Italy and Spain but its too soon. The borders have reopened only recently we will see what happens in the next months.

Major likes this.