1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Jimmy the Greek right?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jul 10, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Isn't what he said semi correct as we have been taught with selective breeding with dogs and cows.

What is the science on this, are humans different or is it the same biology?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did the pilot walk away?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I ain't ascared to comment semi-seriously on this...

When White people like Jimmy say this type of stuff, they are giving themselves credit for something that they have nothing to do with. They are saying that Black people wouldn't be who they are physically without the influence of White people.

The science, of which I only know what I am about to say, says that it would have been impossible in that relatively short amount of time to influence the evolution of a people.

Now, please don't ban me.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So nobody wants to comment on this?

@B-Bob

Where are the academics and scholarly type
    Is it impossible?

It seems that when 2 athletes have children their children are usually more athletic.

When 2 tall people have babies they usually have tall children.

I actually want to know how these physical traits are passed down, I know it's not the only reason but it seems that it had some bearing.

#5 jiggyfly, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What you are talking about could change the characteristics of a set of offspring, but it won't provoke some sort of evolution within an entire group of people.

Beyond that, you'll need to wait for someone else. This is a risque topic to say the least, so maybe you'll have to ask Jeeves or Google. Or just don't worry about it, won't change your life either way unless you're trying to have kids that will have the potential to make the NBA or something???

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt this is very controversial.

I think the amount of time is the problem for this theory. Slavery in the Americas existed for about 350 years. That is a long time but evolutionary for something as complex as humans that is a very little time. Only about 14 generations. In general we're physically identical to the first Cro-Magnon from about 100,000 years ago. Selective breeding even on other animals is difficult such as with dogs we've selectively bred them for certain features but once dogs are left on their own they rapidly return back to something more wolf like. So even if slave masters could've selectively bred a group of slaves once slavery ended any distinctiveness would likely get mixed back up in the overall population.

One possible selective pressure on the descendants of slaves brought from Africa might be the middle passage. Given how high the death rates were that would seem like a far greater factor than any attempts of selective breeding.

One big factor though that would rule out selective breeding of slaves to lead to lead to their descendants being better athletes is how much mixing was done between slave owners and slaves. As Caroline Williams wrote in the NYT, rape of slaves was very common so that people like her carry a fair amount of European genes.

mdrowe00, malakas and JumpMan like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Factors like height have a genetic component but it's not exactly clear how that works. There are plenty of cases of tall people having shorter off spring and even people with dwarfism having normal sized offspring. World wide we see a trend of people getting taller but a lot of that has more to do with increased nutrition than any change in the genetics.

Nook and superfob like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I realize not all offspring of tall people are tall but they are usually taller and if you continue to only have tall people mate most would be taller right?

It's how dog breeds and cattle breeds are done if I am not mistaken and that's do to genetics?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I can speak on this in the area of dog and cows. Dogs can breed in a year and cows two years with offspring coming every three years for cows less that for dogs. With line breeding you can effect change significantly but breeds still take a while to sort out by experts over decades.

There isn't a pole long enough for me to touch on your other questions but you should be able to figure out why it's BS.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Yao Ming is the embodiment of this theory. Father is 6’7” and mother is 6’3”

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why is it BS, I sincerely want to know.

What is the difference?

I know line breeding cannot happen as quickly but it's the same principal right?

This is not about if what he said was factually accurate but if it has some basis.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are too many preconditions for evolution for this "controlled experiment" to be taken strictly. Then there's the mass rape and export of mixed children that would invalidate any kind of "supreme race" theory. Hybrid vigor shows the opposite, but then you have to acknowledge the reality of circumstances.

Also, the "middle passage" rdj mentioned. No man/animal/pokemon is going to evolve being packed like sardines and forced to endure that for weeks. Maybe only in some eugenecist's comic book. There's likely more be an epigenetic case working against slaves than for them.

I would check out Origin of Species if you're curious about evolution. Still relevant to this day and his problem solving skills still makes it an eye opener for us advanced modern types...

#13 Invisible Fan, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What supreme race theory?

What does middle passage have to do with anything?

Slaves had some 200 years of mating in america, I am also not talking about evolving its more about selective breeding.

Why do people want to select specific sperm donors?

15. Invisible Fan

^Read a book?

Bandwagoner likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Really that's all you got?

I am actually trying to learn and I am currently reading some stuff but theory of evolution really has no bearing on this topic, I am not talking about changing species.

Can you recommend anything on selective breeding?

17. Invisible Fan

That's the inherent problem. The basics of evolution are more about critical thinking and setting the preconditions for hypotheses. If your mental model isn't solid, then you can't make a guess to an inherently imperfect "lab condition" on a wildly unpopular topic.

Can the "selective breeder" euthanize/murder sub-optimal or non-ideal candidates?
    Can the "selective breeder" keep his rapist hands to himself while aiming for the best breed?
    Does the time it takes to raise a "selective human breed" similar to the time it takes for the plant and livestock examples we're casually throwing around?
    What are the selective traits these owners are trying to "domesticate"? Is it quantifiable or arbitrary?

Do those factors interfere with your model? Is your model practiced across the South for hundreds of years? What are the inconsistencies?

Nook likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

cml750, mdrowe00, Ottomaton and 2 others like this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member