1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Fire the coach, GM & the defacto OC. All the same guy. Get a real front office team. Let the new GM hire his guy at HC and move forward with your young QB.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You're right, I'm hoping for 9-7.

3. showa13

showa13 Member

Other than flacco, what non-elite level QB has won a championship in the past decade?

#1943 showa13, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nick Foles

Htown Legend likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still think you have to factor in injury history. I mean Watson has torn both ACLs already at a young age. Does that make him more of a risk of it happening again? If so, then to sign him long term could backfire anyway. It's a gamble when you are talking huge contracts, especially when you compare players and durability.

6. raining threes

Manning

DW4's a middling of the pack QB. Certainly not elite right now.

He may become elite but he's got a lot of work to do.

7. raining threes

You aren't winning anything with the current version of Watson and what's wrong with him can't be fixed

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Ownership is a joke my friend. Can't blame Watson for not dragging this dysfunction to a title. Order on the management team has to be restored. Mahomes wouldn't win squat here as constructed. It's not the QB.

9. showa13

showa13 Member

What about him can’t be fixed?

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

A black QB?

11. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

It's so odd reading posts from a fan of team who spends the majority of the time criticizing or minimizing the accomplishments of the best player on the team.

All of the issues with the Texans OL, their defense, their organizational structure, their HC, the OC. Yet, you focus on Watson like a lion with a pork chop. You crack me up.

12. raining threes

It's not all on Watson. I just dont think he's all that and I'm not paralyzed by the fear of moving on from Watson if he doesn't improve in a couple of yrs because Watson is the best of a lot of QB's the Texans have had since their inception.

The main issues start at the top.

13. raining threes

Sad that you would bring race into this.

The ability to produce against top tier defenses that force him into staying in the pocket and consistently deliver throws on time to his receivers. Right now he's doing what he's done all of his life, if the 1st read isn't there he bails and runs instead of stepping up in the pocket and moving on to his next read.

14. raining threes

Agreed, But it's partly the QB too.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

flacco is elite

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dude stop, you're reaching. Can't be fixed? Cmon man. The guy is a top 10 QB on his Rookie deal even with his flaws. Ownership has to Build a team that can win. A Super Bowl is an organizational accomplishment. Not a QB award. As good as Mahomes is, he didn't win a Super Bowl by himself.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Watson should sign a 10 year contract. He's guaranteed to win at least 3 rings in that time. Even better, he may win a new coach!

18. raining threes

I never said Mahomes won the SB by himself.

Top 10 some weeks, top 25 others and there in lies the problem. Can't win a SB like that.

Do you think the last 6 weeks of the season Watson was playing at a championship level? Really the question is, was the last 6 weeks of Watson's play indicative of his future play or will he get better.?

I'm betting he keeps on playing the way he's played his entire life. You're betting he doesn't. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

What role does coaching play in QB development? What role does a uniform message from the top down play in Team building? You're avoiding these questions to push your narrative that Deshaun Watson is the biggest or only thing holding this team back from a Super Bowl. Which even sounds insane when you say it out loud. Especially, when the organization HAS NEVER BEEN TO AN AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! This team has so many operational issues in management that you can't expect to win the Super Bowl with them. Look, You don't like Watson and I get it, I'm sure you have your reasons ( that are WAY bigger than 6 weeks of football) but you're saying a 24 year old QB is never going to get better. His college resume was as good as it gets and all he's ever done in his career is get better. He led a playoff win last year. & lost to KC. Well KC beat everyone they played in the playoffs last year. Ownership needs to fix the real issue. So I just plain disagree that he's the only thing holding the Texans back from a Super Bowl and we'll leave it at that.

#1959 TEXNIFICENT, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

ACL's are not the death sentence they used to be - Deshaun has had both reconstructed and he's no worse for the wear. He doesnt even wear braces I dont think. Even crazier did you know that Deshaun once played a college game on a torn ACL? https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/de...ans-clemson-injury-college-south-carolina-nfl

I understand the concern - its valid, but also know that it shouldnt be the sole determining factor in assessing his future worth. Deshaun is a bonafide franchise QB worth every penny invested in him. Football being the epitome of team sport requires more than that in order for complete team success, and that starts at the top with coaching.