1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Besides missing sports, it would really be depressing for us as a society if it didn't work. If the NBA can't make it work in a relatively closed environment, even with all of the money and precautions going into this, then the vast majority of in-person businesses are basically screwed until a vaccine.

Fortunately, I think the results from New York and most other countries show that the virus is somewhat controllable, if you're willing to do the right things (i.e. masks, testing, etc.). It's out of control in the U.S. as a whole because we aren't doing those things, but the environment at the NBA complex will be night-and-day different compared to the conditions that allow the virus to easily spread everywhere else.

Still no guarantees, of course, but the early evidence from TBT, the soccer leagues, etc. looks fairly good.

#1501 The Cat, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Nook, fryjol7, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty cool nba goodie bag in here

3. The Cat

Note that they're trying to establish a second bubble for the other eight teams, which will further add to that bill. There's also the matter of player salaries — in addition to the $150M+ in operational costs, you're on the hook for a lot more in player salaries if you start and stop than had you just said it's not safe enough and canceled the season in May.

Yeah, I know you weren't being critical, I just disagree a little with how you're characterizing the expenses. It's significant. That said, yes, I do agree that there's clearly a non-zero chance that they stop.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You seem kind of stressed lately. I hope everything is okay with you and your family. The world is on fire and sometimes it's okay to just take a deep breath and say **** it. I can relate as I've personally been there multiple times in the past few months and some days are just worse than others.

jch1911, B-Bob, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think you're overreacting a little to a piece of another person's opinion and someone who isn't convinced about it.

It definitely will start and it can also fall apart in the middle of it all as you put it.

Just seems weird that you defend it like you have personal investment in the bubble.

Everyone just take it step by step.
    Inhale and exhale.

6. The Cat

There's a difference in someone saying they aren't convinced, or saying they're uncertain about it (which is fair), and someone asking whether anyone thinks it could work. It's obvious there are a lot of people who think that it can, otherwise no one would be there. I was referencing that post because I thought that characterization was excessively over the top, in my opinion. That's all.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

he didn't even specifically quote anyone. that post has gotten thrown in these threads for the past several weeks when it's pretty obvious a lot of people actually haven't done the research and all the planning thats gone into this.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is true.

May I direct you to the German soccer league.

I strongly believe the DFL, league association, benefited greatly from the overall situation in Germany. The clusters seemed to be under control and luck was involved.

IMO they resumed prematurely and no way they could have come up with a well thought out plan in just under 2 months.

It is not comparable.
    The positive about it, the NBA had more time to prepare for it.
    The health risks are there but athletes do not have a problem beating it.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No issues with the rest of your thinking.
    I just can't understand while the rest of the economy is suffering and we're talking about millions of newly unemployed around the world, why should we be worried about a league of millionaires losing money?

This situation is bigger than us, bigger than the league, bigger than sports millionaires.

By any means, they should figure it out but I should not have to worry for them unless I am a part of the league.

Even 150 million.

malakas likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I saw the plan a while back - having families join for the 2nd round of the playoffs.

But it's not realistic - trying to insure that hundreds of more people don't have the virus before they are let in - very hard - if just one person slips through it could end the playoffs. And if you don't let the families in, you are asking the players to be away from their families for 3 months.

I am sure they have planned and discussed all of this, but I am a bit skeptical about the practical realities of how it will all work out.

malakas likes this.
  11. The Cat

To clarify, I'm not asking you or anyone to worry for them. I was just citing the money as an example of why the restart is likely to happen. I completely understand why a lot of people may not care about the NBA in this environment to the same extent they did a few months ago. Some might not want it to return at all. That's fair, I get it.

I was just speaking to what's actually likely to play out. There's a reason why the Vegas odds are in favor of the season resuming (and finishing).

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I also think they can conclude it but I have my doubts about the playoffs and when certain teams are missing key players or the head coach due to this, how they complain to the league.

It is going to get messy and schedule get re-arranged.

IMHO the league had the opportunity to shorten the playoffs to 1 month, they didn't take it.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Of all the things that would stop this, I’m not sure why you’re highlighting families not being able to come which isn’t happening til the playoffs. The families have to quarantine prior and are under the same testing regulations The players are doing now. Even in the situation that some aren’t coming, well it’s already understood what players are getting into. And it’s not hundreds of people. I don’t think every single player is asking ppl to come especially by that time when things have settled in. I doubt lebron is going to say ok I’m going home bc bronny isn’t coming. Players are all aware they’re going to be gone and again, 6 teams and their entire staff/personnel they brought, will be back home in a few weeks after the 8 games. And every week you’ll add multiple teams as they get eliminated. Less and less people will be around after just 2 weeks of play

#1513 YOLO, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

He was personally attacked.

I think he has been more than polite and professional with his responses.

Ben provides a great service to CF and we treat our insiders, all of them, with such disrespect.

I for one am extremely grateful to them all and very glad that they share what they can on CF. Part of what makes CF the best fan forum ever.

jch1911 and B-Bob like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

16. malakas

malakas Member

Expense?
    What are the lives of all the Disney personel who will be asked to risk their lives working to serve all these players in the middle of the pandemic epicentre worth?

If we go by $$$ and expense then the borders would still be open and cruises would still travel. These companies lose as much money as this nba operation is worth every week. For months now.

Just because they have invested money means nothing of how feasible this is when the one making decisions is a virus that claims hundreds of lives each day.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Lets not compare Germany with Florida now. Florida has become a clusterfck, where the virus is taking a stroll,almost all ICUs full and 10k+ cases a day.
    Germany would have shut that down before it even started in these conditions.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  18. The Cat

Holy apples, meet oranges. Cruises were stopped and borders closed because their previous operations were not designed for a pandemic. What the NBA is launching was specifically designed with protocols for the current crisis, and it's been signed off on by top federal health officials (including Fauci).

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...uci-likes-what-he-sees-from-nbas-return-plan/

Barring a catastrophic collapse within the bubble itself, which doesn't seem too likely given the early NWSL and MLS returns, there isn't going to be a powerful outside entity pressuring the NBA to close up shop. It's going to come down to the individual risk tolerance of the players, teams, and league executives. Considering the expense, which (unlike your cruise example) was made with full knowledge of the current situation, it does not suggest that they're likely to pull out very quickly.

The virus is not the only "one making decisions." Some businesses and/or employees will have a greater risk tolerance than others. Others will have less. Any investment made while knowing the current circumstances can shed light on their intentions.

D-rock likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That and body contact in bball is alarmingly higher than in futbol/soccer.

I see Silver having his hands full with agendas.

The US has got no grip on the virus whatsoever.

malakas likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member