1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREGMAN v LEBRON

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, May 20, 2020.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Why does that make him a b****?

Honest question... I'm not familiar enough with this sign stealing thing to have a strong opinion on the matter. I'm mostly a Rockets and basketball fan, and somewhat of a fair-weather Astros fan. Now I'm here because I saw LeBron's name. But from what I understand, it's a legitimate issue with the game/league/team that is worth talking about.

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Because many other teams do it and have gotten caught, but the Astros are being scapegoated for it. LeBron is a Yankees fan and they've been caught and fined already but that sure as hell isn't going in the doc. LeBron is also selling out to the LA fanbase because they're butthurt over the World Series 3 years later.

3. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

It's actually Godwin's Law. Maybe you need a refresher course. ;)

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol damnit... I can't keep up with the fallacy's and psych patterns of the internet anymore.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

As is the case with most heated sports discussions, doesn't seem like nearly as big of a deal as you're making it (hitler? bruh c'mon). But I can understand some frustration.

Houston sports are tough right now if you pay too much attention to the media... Nobody likes our teams. 'Cept kinda the Texans, but they're pretty "meh" anyway, and have a POS owner in a POS league, but I digress.

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Every time someone spells it like that all I hear is "dam nit" lmfao

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Who the fook is talking about Hitler lol

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Oh oops, looks like that wasn't you lol. My B, brotato.

9. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must have missed the pre-pandemic **** storm that fell on our team, with every ****ing sports journalist on the planet seemingly getting a turn.

It most certainly was as big of a deal as everyone here is making it out to be.

htwnbandit likes this.
  10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm not talking about the media reaction to the sign stealing thing in general, I'm talking about the fact that LeBron has a role in producing this documentary. It doesn't warrant the kind of personally-directed vitriol I'm seeing in this thread.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The vitriol is well deserved. In typical Lebron fashion, he’s injected himself into a popular narrative, made it about himself and is hypocritical in his actions.
    Media/sports nation bashes Stros, oh I know I’ll produce a story about it and get money and notoriety also. Even though my favorite teams (because of course I’m a bandwagon fan) are doing and have been protected by the league, are doing the same thing-Emperor Lebron

mikol13, awc713, htwnbandit and 2 others like this.
  12. msn

msn Member

Been over LeBron since "The Decision." Narcissist.

mikol13, cmoak1982 and htwnbandit like this.
  13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

There's some decent reasons to hate on LeBron (mostly things like his weird insta posts recently, and his Hong Kong debacle, and I don't know enough but maybe this documentary, too), but the Decision hate is just salt IMO... Dude was still a kid, for one, and he has handled ridiculous fame from a young age far better than most teen-into-20s pop culture sensations, but that was arguably a misstep. More importantly, it wasn't even his idea -- ESPN came to him with the plan because THEY wanted the fame and the money from the decision. LeBron went along with it because he mistakenly thought fans would want to hear about it from him. Still not as dumb of a mistake as Durant thinking fans would appreciate him going to GS. Plus, LeBron donated every dime he got from it (couple mil IIRC?) to charity, too (as he does a lot of, probably more than any other athlete I'm familiar with).

People always look for reasons to hate the greats... and there are no more for LeBron than for most.

#53 SuperMarioBro, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I understand the bitterness with hate directed towards your favorite team, but there's nothing wrong with exposing cheating, even if you stand to profit off of doing so. It's also likely that at the time this doc was given the green light, the Yankee thing wasn't really public knowledge yet (although from my understanding, it's been somewhat "understood" that a lot of teams have kind of been doing this for a long time).

So nah, I'm just seeing more silly salt here. Understandable salt, but still salt. LeBron isn't the enemy here, he's just an easy scapegoat.

15. msn

msn Member

Wasn't aware of the details. The charity thing is nice, but honestly: that thing was a massive turnoff no matter how young he was. So yeah, still unimpressed.

16. msn

msn Member

There IS something wrong with selectively "exposing" certain parties while not exposing others. It's called hypocrisy. So yeah, this isn't "silly salt". When your boy pays as much attention to the other freaking cheaters as he does to the Astros, then you'll have a point.

Until then, screw the hypocrite.

htwnbandit, cmoak1982 and J.R. like this.
  17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'd be careful if you're going to go ad hominem. He's not "my boy" nearly as much as the Astros are your team. I have far less reason for bias here than any of my opposition in this thread. Anyway, who knows, maybe that documentary is (or will end up) exposing multiple teams. Just easy to start with the most famously exposed cheater of recent history. But again, regardless, cheating is cheating, and just because other teams do it, too, doesn't mean the Astros don't deserve to be fully exposed.

It wasn't the greatest PR move in history, but it's not nearly the character blemish people make it out to be. And as Dale Carnegie (or any behavioral expert) will tell you, you would have done the same thing in his position. I happen to find his position there pretty easy to empathize with given the context.

There's just so many things (even athletes) far more worthy of the kind of hate I'm seeing in this thread than Lebron. He's just an easy target because of his fame and success. What's strange is I could swear you were one of the people as baffled by me at the hate early in this thread. You were the first one to call out that guy for the ridiculous Hitler comparison.

Again, Lebron is just not the guy worth focusing your hatred or energy on in all this...

#57 SuperMarioBro, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  18. msn

msn Member

ad hominem unintended. "your boy" was meant only in context of the discussion. But thanks for the threat.

One can only hope.

Exactly. Piling on, with the rest of the media. Unoriginal. Hypocritical. Opportunistic. It disgusts me. It doesn't disgust you, and that's fine.

So you're fine with them being scapegoated as if they're there only team that's done it? Because that's what's happening. That's what we're upset about. It's not the MLB cheating scandal, it's the Astros cheating scandal. Why? Because Fiers outed them first? Lazy. The evidence is out there about how wide spread this is. Yet mediots continue to label this with the Astros brand and encourage the sheep to hate on this franchise. Hypoctisy. If you're fine with it, bully for you. I'm not.

Your opinion is duly noted.

You don't know me, and you have no idea what I or anyone else would do in that position. I find this statement slightly arrogant. (The statement, not you: I don't know you.)

I don't see it the same way. It strikes me as narcissistic and tone deaf. It struck a lot of people that way. But kudos to you for looking to see the best in people (sincerely, no smart alec). I didn't like it, and nothing he's done since then has helped his image in my eyes.

This, by the way, is a good example of ad hominem. Your statement presumes the worst about the motives of those with whom you disagree. LeBron is being criticized, not "targeted", because he piled on to the Astros.

Because the Hitler comparison is stupid, inane, and illogical. I don't hate LeBron James. I dislike some of the things he's done. Incredible basketball player. I have no idea what he's like in person.

I hate this stupid piling-on documentary. That's what my complaint is about. God bless LeBron James, may he win every game except against the Rockets; may he lose those by forty points.

htwnbandit likes this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Houston Should create a Documentary on Lebron James injecting himself with Steroids for over 18 years. If that is not Cheating, a Hypocrite that is Cowboys, Yankees fan.

LeBron James Miami Clinic order of Steroid Purchase, yet the League Caters and Bows down to him like A King.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Were just going to disagree here. Lebron has shown himself to be a person that will look out for the bottom line at the expense of morality. So it doesn’t matter who cheated, the fact that he singles out any team and hop on that hate bandwagon just to earn a buck is pretty consistent with other actions of his.
    He’s a sanctimonious hypocrite. No salt needed