1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I still miss Jeff Bzdelik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Jul 7, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

"There has to be clarity to the roles and responsibilities of each guy," Bzdelik said. "And then all five guys play a part in getting a stop, and if one guy falls short of the standard that we have then he feels like the outcast. And you should feel like the outcast because, as much as a player can be selfish on offense, you can also be very selfish on defense.

"You go through history, and I think 19 out of the last 20 championship teams were in the top 10 in both categories," said Jeff Bzdelik, D'Antoni's new defensive coordinator. "And that's what I'm telling our guys -- if we truly want to win a championship or aspire to be in The Finals and have a chance, and you don't commit to both ends? Then you're kidding yourself. We are telling them that from day one, alright? Like, want to walk the talk? Then do this. Everybody."

https://www.nba.com/2016/news/featu...ches-mike-dantoni-jeff-bzdelik-get-final-shot

burlesk, Corrosion, kjayp and 9 others like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we were at our best with him running the defense, and with defensive players like Paul, ariza, moute, and capela.

hopefully we find that balance again. russ, harden and microball will be a top 5 offense easily. both stars are good defenders too, add great defenders like roco and tucker and its puzzling why they can't easily be a top 10 defense. I'd like to see us bring in a defensive coach and move ego (only tradable asset) for another plus defensive player.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bzdelik out, Fertitta, Melo & Corona (Axis of Evil) in. Gratz.

Nook likes this.
  4. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I miss him, too
    He played an indelible role in the establishment of the defense system of Rockets.But Daryl's series of magical operations ruined him.

kjayp and D-rock like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Top 5 this season?

It will easily be top 5 all time.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I blame Tilly more than Morey for losing Bzdelik.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Bzdelik wasn’t back for a few reasons. First TF did not like how he left the team at the last minute and then came back for more money... that really rubbed him the wrong way.

Second Bzdelik did a really poor job in the Warriors series. The coaching staff and front office were puzzled.

Having said that, I would gladly welcome him back over Turner and most coaches.

hakeem94, kjayp and BigShasta like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bzdelik is a newly turned long distance D coordinator. Outside the bubble.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yer preachin to the choir... luv me some Bzd... lol
    Heck he made MDAs shortcomings tolerable... ;)

I'm all about the offense/defense balance...

10. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I really miss that Rockets team in 2017 / 2018 season, we have excellent attack coach and excellent defense assistant coach.We have two hall of fame level guards and we have a group of very practical and excellent role players. We fight side by side, work together, and each of us performs his or her own duties excellently.We have the first offensive efficiency in the league and the third - Seventh defensive efficiency in the league.

We seem to be able to control the pace of every game, and to be honest, as fans, it's more than smoking mar1juana. This rocket team is the best one in my 20 years of watching the NBA game. I miss it very much. I'm eager for the management to keep it coming back.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

Is Melo another major reason for Jeff's departure? They were very unhappy when they worked together in Nuggets.

D-rock likes this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I miss him too but Tilman ain't gonna pay out of his ass for both a head coach and an assistant coach big money.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

14. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I still remember clearly that the first half of the 2018 / 2019 season was very bad (without James, we would be a piece of garbage). As a result, we were the league's first defensive efficiency and the best second half record in the league. What impressed me most in the game was that once we had problems on the field, D'Antoni always yelled blindly Only Jeff is really calling every player on the field to communicate with them and help them correct their defensive mistakes, and it always works.