1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[POLL] Should the US ban Chinese apps like Tiktok and WeChat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by davidio840, Jul 7, 2020.

?

Should the US ban Chinese apps like Tiktok and WeChat?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A very D&D topic. And trusting anyone from Washington's word at face value is folly these days.

Assuming that ANY apps/social media don't report all data to their native government is naive.

Best solution: Don't social media.

3. davidio840

Yea I contemplated posting this in the D&D at first, but was thinking (hoping) this could be a simple yes/no poll.

Mods - feel free to move this if you feel it needs to be in the D&D.

Agreed! All of this stuff is tracked even if people want to believe it or not. Does India hate China in some sort of way? I know they are competitive in manufacturing things and the tariffs are giving India an advantage at the moment. I just don't have knowledge on how India views China.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes,
    Not because these Apps are Chinese, but they are turning this generation to even more social media narcissists to the point of reversing the human intelligence level as a whole

@Os Trigonum

they should go dance and lip sync because it's fun not because you want attention from random strangers.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's too late I'm afraid

CCity Zero, ryan_98 and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Social media and these apps are a symptom, not the disease.

We've been on a Personality Ethic trajectory for a hundred years, where we used to value Character Ethic. Western society values what people look like and say over how they act and live. The oozing pustule head result of this shift in morality/ethics is none other than our glorious POTUS.

Character vs Personality

Corrosion likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes, but it's hypocritical in the sense that American apps spy on us for the gman through deliberately faulty encryption and secret warrants.

Corrosion and ryan_98 like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm about as comfortable giving my data to the CCP as I am giving it to Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, and the rest of that lot. How about instead of jingoist bans they get off their asses and actually regulate data privacy in general. The EU did something to protect their citizens, and still have more to do. The US just holds the curtain open for Tech to come in and monetize my life.

saitou, CCity Zero, Andre0087 and 7 others like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You're not wrong about any of this. But I don't agree that Google/FB/Amazon are on the same tier as foreign owned Tik Tok. I'd rather give my info to Google.

Andre0087, tinman and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m good with banning it so my son will stop looking at it.

CCity Zero and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Question for the Group:

What info are you worried about giving to [google/amazon/whoever] and how do you think they are getting it, and how do you think they will use it?

I'm leaving Facebook/Instagram/etc out because that does not concern me.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What we all need to be concerned with here is what Clutch is doing with our data.

@Clutch ??? You sellin our info to Tilman an making bank???

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’ve been contemplating downloading tik tok because it looks like a lot of fun.

But I don’t want to be the old guy on tik tok.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Chinese Communist Party or Zuckerberg Communist Party?

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is like the app version of America's Funniest Home Videos. If you enjoy that show, you will probably like the app. I don't like the show and it's very rarely funny. Occasionally something will be mildly amusing but it isn't worth sifting through the crap to find.

Nook, cml750 and davidio840 like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with banning the site, since I don't trust the Chinese government as far as I can spit. Gotta admit, however, that I really enjoyed looking at a long thread there about chicks with big cats that someone here linked to. Wish I could remember who it was. I looked at the girls with their enormous cats for well over half an hour. It is/was pretty amazing. Meow!

That thread could easily be somewhere else, however, that isn't directly tied to the PRC. The Xi regime just passed that "security law" that trampled all over the rights of the people of Hong Kong and the treaty China signed with the United Kingdom that still had decades to go. The Chinese government's word means nothing. Absolutely nothing. The Chinese people are fine, though.

Nook, CCity Zero, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  17. davidio840

I would think it’s credit card, name, address info is the number one problem but heck, that’s basically everywhere you eat, drink, pay bills, etc. Getting access to your SS or drivers license number is different though for the commons ID thief.

I am not personally concerned in that regard because my bank has been good to me if someone stole my CC # and used it at a Walgreens or something similar.

Identify theft is a huge problem and if someone in China or any other country like Albania gets ahold of that info, it can be pretty concerning.

In China, WeChat is essentially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all in one, but also your bank account in a lot of ways. It’s pretty crazy.

I think the bigger question is, how could an Americans information benefit someone in China? I hope it would not benefit them at all but I couldn’t tell you one way or another. Specifically the Communist.

Corrosion and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

As a foreigner who travels in Asia, i used WeChat for last 5 years for business.

Never had any communist stop me or send me emails of a Nigerian scam.

Main purpose of your data is $$$, companies sell it over and over again for marketing, etc. They don't care who you are, they just want to know if 1000 people like cats, then they companies knows, let's advertise Cats over and over again, until your sick of cats.

Besides this, there is nothing else to do with the Data...unless your some government official searching for underage kids and then being blackmailed.

As many mentioned, if you do really care, don't use facebook, google, alexa, etc.....because what is the difference between a communist selling your data to a capitalist's greedy CEO who is selling your data anyway...Both of them are probably selling it to each other.

But let's get back to the Nigerian Scam...if this scam has hurt people millions of dollars..why is our government so busy focusing on Tik Tok, which actually creates more jobs and wealth to American companies (Apple gets paid every time you do anything in-app) but we can't even stop the Nigerian scam...... My parents almost got tricked....luckily they called me.

Let's just get this over with, let's build a wall all around USA, turn off the internet to outside world....wait a minute...North Korea already did it.....

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers are smarter than everybody

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Chinese apps are security concerns... go ahead.

btw anyone think this is revenge for the tik tok movement to sabotage Trump's rally??? lol

Kidding... but now that I suggested that some of ya'll will run with it.