1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ARKK minimally. I wish I would have not bout and sold twice and just held from March.

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

CQQQ broke out after a 2.5 yr consolidation...But I like KWEB. You get tencent, jd and baba. I’ll bite if we get a little pullback tomorrow.

CCity Zero and The Real Shady like this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

CQQQ is too thinly traded
    dunno, but it led me to do some research on Alibaba, which led me to KWEB, an ETF on Chinese internet co,
    top 2 holdings are BABA and tencent

[​IMG]

on KWEB, picked up some Nov 65 CALL, a play on the 11-11 (Singles Day) run​

saitou likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Derp. I misunderstood emerging markets.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I own enough BABA for now and am going to hang onto it, so I don't want an ETF that's even more BABA -- well, not necessarily, anyway. The reason I thought about FXI is that it's only about 2-3% BABA. Its top holdings are Tencent (10%), Meituan Dianping (10%), and China Construction Bank (8%). But then that's heavily weighted toward 3 stocks, but otherwise is spread out among various a few sectors, though a lot of them are financial/real estate which can be scary, too. Still thinking about that one or just go global and get some EEM.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

So one of his major holders dumped $75m in one shot and he's crying about it. Then deletes the tweet because, oops, he just exposed to the world that his investors are jumping ship. Wonder how his other major investors feel tomorrow about holding the bag? Music is about to stop, make sure you have a chair.

In puts. <$30 short term. $0 long term.

7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I was looking at Chinese banks previously as they are cheap relative to p/e and dividends, but what I found scared me - imo HK investors have priced in concerns over the quality of their assets. Over the years the gov has forced the large state banks to bail out the smaller regional banks. These concerns have been around for some time and we haven't had a major collapse yet, but I'm staying out, easier ways to make $ and have more peace of mind.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

9. adoo

adoo Member

IBB, coming off a 5-yr base, coupled w a 2-mo long consolidating handle, in the process taking out the previous all time high established 5 yrs ago,
    is setting another new all-time high. it's breaking out

"the longer the horizontal base, w no resistance,the higher the vertical space"
    [​IMG]

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

"Please stop selling my stock you greedy investors how dare you!!!"

Sajan likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, it's hard enough to find decent individual companies you can trust sometimes, but that's one reason I was looking for an ETF and another reason I really didn't want to load up more on BABA. My attempt is trying to play into what may eventually turn into a restart of the Belt & Road Initiative for China. But yeah, that crackdown is always on the back of my mind just owning BABA, but I've been in it long enough to where it would take a pretty big collapse for it to turn into a disaster for me.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Are you not entertained? *popcorn*

dmoneybangbang and KingCheetah like this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Have seen a lot of people bring up that elon tweet and have to put it in context. That came the day after his tirade on an earnings call where he called the lockdowns facsist, and said that his Fremont plant remaining closed was a material risk to the company that people weren't taking seriously enough. Even after that the stock still rose to almost 900 (cuz the earnings were good). The next day was when he said stock is too high, it was a comment on the market being too complacent and needing some urgency to open his factory back up. The following weeks as you guys know he sued the county official and defied orders to open up etc.

In other words, he didn't actually think his stock was overvalued, he was saying if I can't open my damn factory up then of course the stock is high - we are screwed!

Of course the rest is history.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Does anyone here have a firm grasp on how REITS are taxed? I have few questions

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This is freakin hilarious!

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

You think that's hilarious? Go on eBay, someone already tried to sell them for $500. Last I checked they were going for $150 in general. Keeping mine, collectors item to look back upon and recall when tsla shortsellers were still a thing.

17. dmoneybangbang

Only Elon can get away with that type of maleficence.

Sajan likes this.
  18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Well if you see the price and put the two together, yes, it is hilarious. And the eBay thing isn't surprising at all, that happens all of the time with things like this. I remember the Astros Apollo 11 hat was selling for a couple hundred on there right after it came out. Unbelievable what people will pay for things.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

We know who in here breathes and lives Tesla :D

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hell yeah. And it's paid off well, retirement for two lifetimes before turning 36. But still, doesn't stop me from being objective.

Sajan likes this.