1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] MLB suspends spring training, delays Opening Day at least two weeks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Mar 12, 2020.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Note all the 8:10 starts, home and away. No 9pm starts out west.

2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Just looking at that pretty quick I think we win right around 38 games. I imagine 38-22 would put us at/near the top of the AL.

Other than the Dodgers (2) and the A’s (3) our first 30 games could lead to a really hot start for us. 17 of first 30 are against Mariners, Giants and Rockies. All should be well below .500. 6 of our first 30 are against the Angels and D-Backs. Neither of those teams really scare me much at all.

We could see this team get off to a great 30-game start.

To end the season, we have our last 13 games against the Rangers, D-Backs, then the Mariners and lastly the Rangers for 4 on the road. I don’t see how we lose more than 4-5 of those last 13 games.

If you can get off to a hot start and win, say, 20 of your first 30, and then win at least 8-9 of your last 13, that’s already right near 30 wins with 17 other games left over. Say you go right around .500 those 17 other games, that’s 9 more wins. That gets you to right near 38 wins.

Htown Legend likes this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

A ton of 2 game series. They basically made the schedule with as much traveling as possible

Many times the “leader” gets too much blame and credit....in this case, Manfred deserves a TON of blame

4. The Beard

WTF, home games at 8:10 sucks

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What’s the virus rate over there? I thought they were one of the first countries to truly lock down.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Seven of the Astros' 10 games against the A's are on the road.

They go to San Diego (3), Arizona (3), Los Angeles (2) and Colorado (2) for Interleague games.

Astros are scheduled to appear on national TV broadcasts four times:
    July 29 vs. the Dodgers (6:10 p.m. CT, ESPN)
    Aug. 1 at the Angels (6:15 p.m. CT, FOX)
    Aug. 6 at the D-backs (6:15 p.m. CT, FOX)
    Sept. 12 at the Dodgers (7:15 p.m. CT, FOX)

(Why are Astros playing home game at 8 instead of 7?) Astros wanted earlier West Coast starts and there was a give and take with Pacific Time Zone about start times, so 6 p.m. starts when they are in Seattle/Calif. Rangers games stay at 7:10 p.m. for night games.

The Astros will play only eight games outside California or Texas.

All regular season Astros games, with the exception of nationally televised games, will be carried live on AT&T SportsNet.

Astros 2020 game time breakdown (Central times):

8:10 -- 25 games
    6:10/05/15 -- 9
    7:05/10/15 -- 8
    3:10 -- 6
    1:10 -- 5
    2:05/10 -- 3
    7:40 - 1
    5:40 -- 1
    2:40 -- 1
    TBA -- 1

[​IMG]

8. The Beard

Yea small nation too so I’m sure it’s low

Were just comparing team sports in a clubhouse environment and that’s about as close as you can get

9. The Beard

Seems a much simpler schedule would have been better in many ways

5 game series in division, 4 game inter league would have greatly reduced travel

Would have been easy to have common off days that way too, that would help a lot with rain outs and in case of testing snafus cancelling a game also, would be much easier to have make up days

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, which is why i mentioned the EPL earlier as well... but again, didn't realize England had drastically lowered their numbers as well.

If only this country had a better handle on things, they'd be in prime position to enjoy the toy-store of life (sports).

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

60 games is so tiny. Astros have one of the 2 or 3 best teams in baseball but I can see a scenario where a couple top 5 teams don’t make it in.

The Beard likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

The issue I have is that it sure seems like baseball is ran like a mediocre small hardware store in the middle of nowhere and not business worth hundreds of billions of dollars. I just don’t see the effort or leadership at all... just a continuation of Bud Selig’s used car dealership.

Snake Diggit and The Beard like this.
  13. The Beard

Yea

I’m thinking in nations that are the size (or smaller) of some of our states it’s quite a bit easier to get things under control.

14. The Beard

yep, agree with this 100%

Not that the owners want him gone, I have no idea about that, but I’d they did.....

What does it take to remove a commissioner? What is the actual process for that?

15. The Beard

No doubt, last year at the 60 game mark the Nats wouldn’t have even made the playoffs

Teams with key opt outs, Covid positive, or just general injuries to start the year are going to be in serious trouble

Maybe it’s just my fandom, but I really think ya and the dodgers are the only two teams with the depth that would make it shocking if we missed the playoffs. As good as the yanks are, a couple of key injuries and a slow start and Tampa wins the East, and who knows what the wild card will look like

BigM likes this.
  16. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Once the commissioners contract is up, don't the owners vote to see if they want him back? I wonder if it's majority rules or if he needs a certain percentage of votes.

17. The Beard

And during his term, if the owners said this guy ain’t the right man for the job, I guess they would have to basically buy him out?

18. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I would assume so. I wonder how many owners are against him as of right now.

19. The Beard

Hard to say since most owners stay relatively quiet in baseball and let him do the talking

He might be supported well by them, but damn...take everything else out of the picture...if you are an owner, do you really think there will be a CBA deal done with him leading the negotiations

20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Lol, hell no. Ok so I don't pay attention to the negotiations so the answer maybe obvious but does he negotiate on his own on behalf of the owners (owners trust him and let him do his thing) or does Manfred meet with the owners and they all discuss? Or is it like the MLBPA where they have some players representing the players and Manfred has a few owners representing the owners?