1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I haven't looked at fsly as much as I should have, but I think there's something there. I mean the premium/IV on the options alone makes it look interesting. People are willing to pay a high amount for way OTM options. I'm going to try and look into it more along with AKAM and FFIV. I was mainly looking at FFIV and missed a nice option entry I didn't enter it since I was still researching, missed a nice jump there.. I'm not invested in any of these but am going to learn more on them. I'll let you know if I invest/trade

Did you buy into FSLY?

BmwM3 likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I did. Will be holding it for a while because they have potential to explode even more. I know they took a lot of talent with them from $NOW (friend who used to work for $now that has since moved on to work at $fsly). Just keep your eye out on them.

4. adoo

adoo Member

did my fundy on FSLY, like it very much, but not at the current price.
    i went to my TA tool box to do a check up on it.

it is way over bought

the stock price has been flattening at ~ 86. on declining volume---suggesting exhaustion---
    not enough tailwind to push it higher

the MACD fast line has hooked downward towards the target line
    on this basis, i anticipate a downward trend coming, albeit a short one.

looking forward to make a play on it at a more favorable entry point,

in the low 60s, which is near the 20 DMA and 38% re-tracement level

#10704 adoo, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I bought GE in 2008 around $14, I believe, and sold it in 2017'ish. After Imelt left in 2017'ish, they've had a couple of CEO's. I'm waiting to see what kind of positive change Culp can effect before jumping back in. It was one of those stocks I thought I'd hold onto "forever", but way too much stuff about the bloating and mismanagement during the Imelt regime started coming out that scared me. Then the Boeing issues and coronavirus hit, and well.... yikes. I'm going to keep an eye on it because if they ever turn it around, it could be one to buy and sit on for quite some time. Instead of "T", I may be ready to add VZ, but yeah, very similar. Although I may just continue adding to existing positions like O.

Are you reinvesting your dividends in O and the other dividend stocks or using it as income?

My first stocks were MSFT, WMT, and AOL, I think. Wish I had just left the money in MSFT there. That was back around 1998. :D

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Also, on JPM, it's the one bank stock that I'd probably think about owning .... maybe. I just finally got out of BAC. I'd need to see what exposure most of these banks have to thinks like mortgages. JPM is one of the ones I'd love to get into, but I need to figure out how the Fed is going to cater to interest rates, what mortgage defaults look like in about 1-4 months, what the economy in general looks like, etc. With the bank stocks, I'd be happy with just a good dividend return -- I don't need massive price appreciation/growth.

7. adoo

adoo Member

during imelt's 17-yr tenure as CEO, GE's mkt cap actually decreased. the only bad decision that neutron Bob Welch made was naming Imelt as his successor.

in my mind, my GE stock is worthless. but, for sentimental value, i m never gonna sell it
    yip

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Tesla has had the highest revenue growth in history (for a company its size) over the last 7 year period.

As for bubble, the stock market can and often is irrational in the short term. But I dunno if I have ever seen a bubble last 10 years. Tesla has always been "overvalued" to many observers, from when it was $40 a shares to the day it surpassed Toyota. Maybe the problem isn't Tesla, but rather these people need to reevaluate their value system, as they keep watching the share price appreciate.

Sajan likes this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@CXbby any other companies besides Tesla that you think are good buys at today's prices? + What are the attributes that you are looking for when picking?

Sajan likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Good buys at today's prices is a tough call.

I like Square long term. Has similar characteristics to when I looked into Tesla years ago - the potential to disrupt massive industries with a capable founder owner at the helm.

China has shown the potential of "ewallets" through the prevalence of Alipay and Wechat pay. Sq is rising lately because Cash app has overtaken venmo as the dominant e wallet in the US and is growing >100% yoy.

But the long term potential I see in them is tying their cash app consumer ecosystem together with their point of sale retail ecosystem and offering synergies in between. Sq has the potential of disrupting and cutting out the credit card networks which are valued at close to $500b each. Disrupting the trillion dollar banking industry by offering traditional banking services to consumers on cash app, they already applied and received a banking license earlier this year.

In a moonshot scenario, Sq has the ultimate potential to make bitcoin a viable medium of exchange (today it is just a speculative vehicle). Jack is all in on crypto and cash app is already the easiest way to buy bitcoin (disrupting Coinbase). The problem with bitcoin is that it will never reach its full potential if it never possesses its intended utility - as money. Jack is potentially building the infrastructure of making bitcoin a useful medium of exchange. By letting consumers buy and hold bitcoin with cash app, then spend it at their retail point of sale terminals, square has the chance to cut down costs and friction for all involved and make itself the backbone of the financial system of the next generation.

Now most of these things have not happened, and the probability may not even be high (especially the Bitcoin scenario). But just its cash app and point of sale growing organically is already not a bad business, and if any of the "potentials" hit it could become a gamechanger.

#10710 CXbby, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Make sure to watch for all the same people crying the day Sq passes JPM in market cap. And on that day I'm going to be too tired to explain why they can't be valued the same way, again.

#10711 CXbby, Jul 4, 2020
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

This thing should be -20% Monday. 3000 reservations the first two days is beyond pathetic. And this guy had the nerve to lie about demand being so strong it crashed their website.

Pleaing and begging EV community to give him a chance. "Nikola and Tesla", "We", lmao, there is no "we". Nikola has never sold a single product. They can't even come up with an original name. The audacity of this guy that has done diddly squat.

"Sure we compete but who cares." That's like saying I compete with Michael Jordan before I've ever even picked up a ball.

#10712 CXbby, Jul 4, 2020
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

Man SQ was in the 30s and I read some bearish dumb seekingalpha article after earnings...
    thought it would stay in the 30-50s during Covid but it’s taken off.

saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

SA is infected by shortsellers. Same group of idiots telling people tsla is going to 0 for years.

Sajan likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks for checking on this one. I didn't check premiums yet but was going to maybe look at short play down on Puts, and then try to get in on retrace. Obviously if the premium is crazy I won't bother but was thinking you could get both the down and up. I'll let you know if I do anything on it.

Also, with the amount of calls purchased otm I think your assessment makes even more sense on a dip down.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, some of these articles are really frustrating (regardless of source), and then you sometimes don't know how much the article will influence decisions of others. It can definitely be a tough call. I prefer getting in something way ahead of news (I mean sometimes it's random luck, or you thinking ahead on things etc., or hell taking a small gamble on scanner/pretend twitter pro).

Then you get out once it starts getting picked up (assuming you made money), because MMs and various others will wreck it. I think you were very right about new mass retail investors changing things too.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, Welch ideology was what most people thought of when thinking of GE. People like Welch were fun to just listen to talk about the industry. I had hoped Imelt was similar back then, but as it turned out, he was just building a house of cards of about 100 different decks. With regard to sentimental value, I'm kind of that way with some stocks, so I understand. I had to talk myself into selling my GE stock even though it had started underperforming long before. In retrospect, that worked out well. I did the same thing with FB, and even though I still almost doubled my money on that one, it didn't work out as well because I should've just held on during the massive 50% or so drop from $230'ish to under $120. That being said, I wasn't a big fan of the stuff going on with the company, so I don't feel that bad.

The best thing is to stay away from fanboy sites. It's great for news, but not necessarily for stockpicking if you're into that. You'll rarely see anything negative on those sites. There are almost always multiple times you can buy into a stock even if you miss the first times. I missed on and bought and sold AAPL several times before buying and holding it. I scoffed at NFLX with co-workers several times before buying into it years ago (unfortunately I only bought half-a-usual position, if I recall). You don't need to get into anything from the beginning to make a big profit on it. Most of the time, it's just having the patience to hold onto it.

Also, articles have influenced masses in trading for as long as I've been trading. In the late 90's/early 2000's, during the dot com bubble Jim Jubak and Jon Markman on MSN Money were 2 authors I used to read. If they mentioned anything positive about a stock, you can bet it would pop because they had a large following. But they actually dissected stocks and their fundamentals. But it was still kind of like the stuff going on with Robinhood traders and Reddit trading forums. If someone mentions some crap stock and manages to get enough people to follow their line of thinking, they can move the stock. But if you're just looking for profits, it probably doesn't matter to you if you're trying to make a quick hit. If you're investing, I'm guessing you probably don't want to be buying things like HTZ.

People that want to get in "early" also should be looking at IPO's but then you'd need money. Which is also why hunting for SPACs has gained popularity nowadays. Of course, getting in ahead of the news is sometimes impossbile if the news you read is freely available on the Internet and anybody can get it.

saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely agree with you, while I did make some trash moves for profit, I refused to jump into the HTZ type moves/risks, I mean I guess if it worked for someone great but if I want to gamble I'll just go play cards (well not now... Thx virus).

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya I don't go there anymore. two weeks ago I saw an article about KTOV that just had the wrong reason for why the stock was spiking that day and they posted 2 articles with the same BS. SMH.
    https://seekingalpha.com/news/35852...on-collaboration-bristol-myers-in-lung-cancer

re: SQ
    the comments in the article sounded pretty bearish so i was like eh..will stay away for now.
    https://seekingalpha.com/news/3554848-square-cuts-q1-guidance-pulls-year-guidance

20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Thanks for sharing! I like sq too, but didn't pull the trigger b4 the latest run up and been kicking myself. I also like their use of sales data for targeted micro loans to small businesses. Maybe I should just buy a bit now and add if it goes lower.

Do you like Twitter? It's trading close to it's ipo price, and in a zirp world maybe earnings will mean less while "influence"/sentiment affect price more and more.