1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

LOL, don't share this with anyone!! Hahah, some of the stuff I've played lately...

Like normally I would think - That's not a good idea/I need to research this more, but now it's like - no product, no company building, no plan, hell they're going bankrupt and have negative earnings. Oh well, I'll just buy some to see how this goes... On these I just need to get out ahead of the real news, I'm hoping this rumor plays out nicely and is actually more, but it's definitely a risk though.

With that said, I think it's even funnier on some of the guys calling stocks like it's straight up boiler room in some cases on how they try to sell this stuff, - "yeah, this stock is going to cure everything and they make masks too blah blah" or "Disney/Amazon/Netflix is buying them out" *stock jumps 200-500%* and then flash crashes. I think one I saw that ran up looks like it was run in a junk warehouse. I can't recall which biotech company it was (if you can even call it that), but it's been absurd. I mean this stuff has always happened but it's definitely going at a lot higher rate with covid I think.

Regardless, just don't get left holding the bag, like on GNUS before I missed it when it jumped to the $12 or so on the last run, so I skipped it, but I saw people buying in then... Like what're they doing?? Then on some message places they share their screen caps after, and it's like - why did you buy at the peak? And then - why didn't you exit or avg down at least... I know you only lose when you sell but if you're actively trading rumors you don't wait for it to come back once the news comes unless you know of some other rumor even further out... I unfortunately don't have that luxury, and while I'm definitely not a pro trader, I feel bad sometimes when I see someone who got suckered into some penny stock and lost $20k they clearly couldn't afford to lose.

Anyway, that's pretty funny on their app. I'm definitely not holding much outside the news release unless it's real, this is definitely a play where you take profits and avg out. I mean if you're wrong and it jumps higher you still need to take profits on plays like these, these stocks are definitely not something you want to buy and forget.

2. adoo

adoo Member

is this Cup W Handle candidate, or a double top ?

the top line represents the all-time high. i suspect that it'll make several attempts to protrude thru that top purple line, afterwards, there is no resistance.
    thus, it is more likely a Cup W Handle formation.

[​IMG]

the recent news that CRM is partnering w German Conglomerate Siemens on COVID-19return-to-work recovery, https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...for-covid-19-back-to-work-plans-idUSKBN23U1KW, bodes well for the next earning run which is scheduled for late Aug.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think you're absolutely right, back to $40+ no matter what happens. I mean they didn't really even take a hit and I wouldn't bet on big pharma losing. I was more thinking like a quick $1-2 pullback from after the holiday weekend but nothing substantial - low risk/low reward. At this point I think of them like a KO, not leaving and a major staple.

How long did you own them? I missed the nice entries when they were really cheap. I'm almost thinking if you wanted to buy them again you could sell PUTS to select your entry but unfortunately with all the news/lack of movement etc there really isn't a great premium, but I think sometimes it can work out nicely if you were going to own regardless, I mean assuming that Pfizer doesn't come out with a crazy scandal but even then it'd have to be probably several.

BmwM3 likes this.
  4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hearing WAITR could be bought. It shot up in the afternoon and is now high after hours.

This is what someone posted on stocktwits
    "Filing deadline has passed for the board members to file their form 4's stating they received their annual 200,000 RSU's on 6/30. As stated before, Jonathan Green didn't file. The only reason Jonathan Green doesn't receive his 200,000 RSU's is if there is conflicts with Waitr's assumed buyer (we have now assume there has been a LOI pending and a quiet period for over 30 days) and the only company with conflicts is Delivery Hero. Lookup Jonathan Green's ties to Delivery Hero SE and Luxor and you will understand why. With Carl's goon squad from Ipayment all getting fake roles and RSU's, expect the Delivery Hero buyout announcement coming soon."

BmwM3 likes this.
  5. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I did a few of those these last couple of months too. There were so many obvious pumps and dumps I joined in. Bought and flipped lk a few times before they got delisted. I was watching gnus as well and downloaded the app just to look and can't believe it ran up that high looking the way it did. I feel sorry for those that are holding 10+. People just throwing money left and right.

What’s your thoughts on fsly?

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I've been holding this stock since February when it was below a dollar. Something definitely is brewing. Been holding it for this moment and quarter 2 earnings.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Put a fork in this one, 1500 a day the first two days is pathetic by any measure. Also is 1000 million a lot?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I bought it back in 2011 or so. lol. The only thing I worry about with big pharma is how Biden would handle them if he came into office, but who knows if that'll even happen. The only reason I own stocks like Pfizer is for the free cash they churn out every quarter or so. I'm not looking for them to double, but then I guess it kinda did at one point since I owned it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Regarding Tsla having a larger market cap than Toyota, if you didn't understand it surpassing Fords market cap years ago (in the $200s) then how could you today when it passes Toyota. The market has not value it against legacy auto, ever, for a miriad of reasons that I don't care to go through again.

peleincubus likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Like clockwork. :D

Sajan likes this.
  11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Does anyone have an opinion on NLY (REIT)?

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I haven't looked at that one in years. No opinion, but are you looking at it because of the dividends? I think they already cut them early this year.

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Do you say traders actually make money? I usually only invest during downturns because I know things are going to turn around. Only way I see things being almost a guarantee.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not a real daytrader. I used to do that back during the dotcom bubble in the late 90's and early 00's. I made a lot of money back then, but in retrospect, a lot of it was just dumb luck. I actually would rather do like you and wait for a 10%+ correction and start dumping more money into stocks that shouldn't have been sold off. And you're pretty much right -- it's a guaranteed gain. Outside of that, I'll put money into the stocks of companies that are among the 2 or 3 big players in any industry/sector or good dividend companies. My biggest positions are probably NFLX, AAPL, BABA, MO, SBUX, NKE, KO, BRK.B, GLD, O, etc. Fairly boring bunch and most of those I've held for years. I may add some boring VZ to it soon. Around all of those and a few others, I'll play 3-5 crazy stocks just to see if they moonshot or give quick returns, but they're far smaller positions.

The only reason I look at those 3-5 crazy stocks is I just like following the industry as a hobby and they keep me on my toes to make sure I know what's going on around the rest of the market. Otherwise, anytime the market corrects, it brings me joy. lol.

NotInMyHouse and CCity Zero like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In the long run I would dump MO if I were you. Unless they are one of the companies that is investing mar1juana. Tobacco is so 1900’s ;);)

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's one of the reasons I stayed in it. They're in mar1juana with that Cronos deal about a year or two ago (they own about 40-50% of them). They're also into tobacco alternatives like oral nicotine/nicotine pouches and *gulp* Juul. They also got the alcohol angle with a 10% ownership in AB Inbev/SAB Miller. They were my favorite addiction stock. lol. Unfortunately that Juul investment kind of wrecked them a bit and I don't think their Cronos investment has turned out well. But they do have an 8% dividend payout which is why I really liked them. I'm going to hang onto them a bit even though the stock price has stunk recently. I think my original purchase in them was for about $14 or something back in 2007.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Yes mostly dividends. They cut them but not by as much as was expected. They are actively repurchasing their own shares.

19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

What's puzzling is that they are in a sector (ecommerce) that has been thriving, something seems off. On the + side a decoupling will help them continue to dominate and grow their domestic cloud biz.

CCity Zero and adoo like this.
  20. adoo

adoo Member

my, how similar,

my core porfolio includes AAPL, T, SBUX, MSFT, BX, KO, BRK.A, GLD, O.

btw, according to my TA tool box,
    BRK.A is a MACD cross over candidate; so too is O​

i also have GE, the first stock i bought when i was a hi schooler

should the un-flattening of the yield curve come to fruition, i may add JPM stock to my core holdings

#10700 adoo, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.