1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

And now we have a mutant. Indominus coronas. Or as it's known on the street now, in the places you don't want to go....they are calling it, The lung grabber.

#8621 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Amiga likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You might enjoy his book...
    _______

Tell Your Children: The Truth about mar1juana, Mental Illness, and Violence

An eye-opening report from an award-winning author and former New York Times reporter reveals the link between teenage mar1juana use and mental illness, and a hidden epidemic of violence caused by the drug—facts the media have ignored as the United States rushes to legalize cannabis.

Nook, jiggyfly and London'sBurning like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

I just want to go on record that I called alien invasion before he built his mashed potato mountain. Cuomo gone off the deep end.

B-Bob and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

jiggyfly and body slam like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. HTM

HTM Member

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yup especially with the fatality rate at the end

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is why some feel COVID was manipulated in a lab. A virus first has to make the very low probability jump from animals to humans. Once it makes it to a human, it then has to be able to replicate. Some suggest China found this COVID virus in a remote mining camp that infected miners working in a cave with bats. They then took the virus to a lab and started experimenting with it using different methods to help replicate it so they could continue to study it.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Covid cases are up but fewer patients are needing ventilators. 5 reasons why

Currently, the United States is seeing about 40,000 new COVID-19 cases a day. Today, Dr. Anthony Fauci said he "would not be surprised" if the US started getting 100,000 new cases a day. But what's curious is that even though more people are becoming infected with the Coronavirus, a lower percentage of them are requiring ventilators.

A Medium article by Elad Simchayoff explores five possible reasons why this could be happening.
    1. The least likely explanation is that the virus is becoming less lethal. A minority of experts think that Covid-19 is becoming weaker over time.
    2. It's also unlikely that hot weather and sunshine is causing the virus to decay. though some experts believe this is a reason.
    3. Testing has increased in recent weeks, which likely accounts for part of the reason why fewer people are requiring ventilators. "More people are reported sick, many of them in a very mild state, which makes the percentage of those in critical condition drop."
    4. Hospitals are starting to use treatments other than ventilators. "In some countries, the practice has now shifted considerably to no more early ventilating and efforts being made to avoid ventilators at almost any cost."
    5. Younger people are getting sick. For example, in Florida, the median age for infected people is 37, but in March it was 65. Younger people are less likely to become seriously ill from coronavirus, and as a result, do not require ventilators.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...30-20-intl/h_5f9e459a87ca95a569c939fe9c7206a1

Houston hospital president says possible coronavirus spike after July 4 "scares me"

12. VanityHalfBlack

Remember when we all wanted to be The Jetsons? Will, here's your chance.

BamBam likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

In before Mr. Boom walks back his comments again.

"I meant the July 4th fireworks scare me and my pets! Not the Coronavirus. Coronavirus is fine. Our hospitals are fine. We have plenty of room. Anyone who needs an ICU bed can get an ICU bed."

Healthcare CEOs of the Texas Medical Center said Thursday that a letter that was sent out to the community Wednesday regarding the hospital system's "increasingly stretched" ICU capacity level was "misinterpreted" and stressed the pandemic is not eclipsing hospital capabilities to care for COVID-19 positive patients as well as other patients.

Following reports that TMC had reached 97 percent capacity, Dr. Marc Boom, Houston Methodist president and CEO, said ICU capacity percentages in the 80s or 90s is "completely normal."

"We have the ability to go far higher than that in terms of the ICU beds we can utilize for COVID-19 patients," Boom said during a press conference. "...We have PPE (personal protection equipment) we have the capability, (and) we have learned enormous amounts about caring for people with COVID-19."

Those same CEOs signed a letter to Houstonians Wednesday warning, "If this trend continues, our hospital system capacity will become overwhelmed."

Dr. Marc Boom explained in a virtual news conference Thursday that the purpose of the letter was to "urge people to do the right things in the community and do so by talking about capacity, but really ended up unintentionally sounding an alarm bell too loudly about capacity."

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

"Chinese troops will be among the first to get jabs of one of China’s leading COVID-19 vaccine candidates.

On Monday, the Chinese biotech firm CanSino Biologics said in a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange that China’s Central Military Commission gave the go-ahead for China’s military to inject soldiers with Ad5-nCoV, the company’s leading vaccine candidate, for a period of one year.

In the statement, CanSino Biologics chairman Yu Xuefeng said the vaccine candidate’s Phase I and II clinical trials demonstrated a “good safety profile” and high levels of immune response in patients. But he cautioned that the trials only show that the vaccine has the potential to prevent COVID-19 and that the military’s approval of the vaccine does not guarantee it will be authorized for broader commercial use in future."

It sounds like they are using their soldiers as test subjects more than anything.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup. I was chatting with a friend about this. Until some world body or multiple countries approve it, I'd be scared to death to shoot myself with anything. lol. But hey, it is approved for use. :D

robbie380 likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nook, jiggyfly and Deckard like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Holy ****, what is that, 9, 10, 11, NO - TWELVE protestors. Oh lawdt. Warm up those presses, spin those articles.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Is there a big surprise here? There is huge fatality variation depending on country, age bucket, comorbidities, etc. I think @robbie380 answered this maybe 50 pages ago, but it would be nice to have an updated layman translation accounting the most recent stats per age group please.

covid effects per age group
    Under 25: you're fine unless you have a comorbidity or draw the 2-7 off-suit of life (like branch falling on you when you walk). What was the stat, like overall, 3 times as impactful as the flu for those who show symptoms? Still wear a mask though because we're not trying to be a-holes who keep passing this around the population
    25 - 50: You may go to the hospital, but fine again if you have no comorbidities. 5x to 7x the flu impact?
    50-70: Be really really careful. 10x flu impact
    70+: Stay the F away from everyone, it's the end the world. 20x flu impact

*I completely made these stats up, but I'm just trying to convey my layman understanding of what's going on based on everyone's posts here over the past 3 months. It's always been less deadly than feared (in the US, for younger pops with no comorbidities); however, it's always been more impactful on your overall health than the flu and takes more resources to treat because of hospitalizations and is a major deadly threat to those over 50 and especially those over 70. Every should try to social distance not to be a-holes that force older people out of society forever. Tell me what I'm missing.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Where did you dig this out?

How did you even remember it?

I can't believe I remember this, I started singing it without starting the video.

What does that say about me.:eek: