1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coffee Recommendations K Cups

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jun 28, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I usually order from Amazon or get what's on sale.

Try to stay around the 20-25 dollar mark for about 70 to 80 cups.

SF Bay was the last I ordered and was pretty good, have also ordered Donut Shop since it's usually around the right price but i notice the difference between that and SF bay.

Would like recommendations on these types of K cups and the difference between the roast, I usually go medium to dark roast.

As long as it's not extremely bitter or too weak I am good.

Is there anything particular I should be looking for does age of coffee matter?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

@JuanValdez :D

I got a Keurig a few months ago that came with a bunch of free k-cups. It was a box of their Coffee Lovers collection with something like 30-40 cups, another box of Starbucks French Roast, and a small box of some other variety pack. I'm no coffee expert since I pretty much do it for the caffeine addiction, and I generally don't care that much for dark roast; I'm more of medium and light roast guy. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I pretty much liked any variety of Green Mountain coffee that was in the box and that I've ever drank at work (even the Dark roast was "ok").
    I could not stand the Starbucks French Roast. Most dark roasts taste like burnt wood to me. This tasted like something that had burned to the ground. The date on the package was getting close to the "best by" date, so that may have had something to do with it.
    I bought some Walmart/Great Value coffee, and to be honest, while not as good as GMCR, they were "good enough" and a lot cheaper.
    Laughing Man's Dukale's Blend was one that wasn't your every day coffee that I liked. It tasted more towards the darker end but didn't taste like the generic office coffee.

It was odd how from cup-to-cup of the same coffee, things tasted different. There was a cup of REVV's No Surrender coffee. The first cup tasted like something even the Phoenix couldn't rise from. Like they went to a crematorium for the coffee. The 2nd cup of it tasted like one of the best dark roasts I had tried. Laughing Man's Colombia Huila tasted pretty good for a dark roast, too. As did GMCR's Colombia Huila.

As for the medium and light roasts, Damn near anything from GMCR, Laughing Man, Newman's Own, Tully's, Krispy Kreme, Caribou, Gloria Jean's, Donut Shop, etc. all tasted good to me. The weakest tasting among those were Newman's Special Blend and Krispy Kreme's Classic Medium Roast. But like I said, any of them would do ok for me. I can notice a difference in taste among them if I drank them back-to-back, but since I never drink them back-to-back, it's not that big a deal. In most cases the taste wasn't so different that I'd say "I have to have Brand A or nothing at all".

Yeah, be careful buying on Amazon. I think in some cases you may end up with old stock and, yes, it matters. Basically as soon as you've roasted the coffee bean, the taste starts degrading, and it's made worse by grinding it. I'm eventually going to decide on a coffee I like and just buy the beans if I can and grind them myself maybe. I'll let the experts comment on that. I also bought one of those re-usable K-cups to put grounds in instead of flooding the planet with more k-cups, and for when I want to grind my own or just buy grounds or something.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have done Green Mountain several times and like you I cannot really tell the difference.

The SFBay is all biodegradable which was a selling point and it was consistent.

We seem to approach coffee the same way I just want to see if there is a brand I am missing out on.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

#4 gucci888, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  5. gucci888

Tried the re-usable K-Cups but can’t get it strong enough for my liking, I’m definitely a dark roast drinker though. Would really like to find a way to make it work because we go through a lot of them.

Been buying Starbucks Sumatra through Amazon and haven’t had an issue with expiration as of yet. Surprisingly it’s cheaper than Sams or Costco and usually next day shipping.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Senseo for life ese

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Light Roast = more caffeine= a better aura= more b****es.

Dark roast= less caffeine= stronger foul smell=low testosterone= less b****es.

Alot of people don't know this.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The only way to get a decent K cup is to fill it yourself. Otherwise the coffee is too weak.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm no coffee expert, but this isn't necessarily true. Light roasts have more caffeine "per scoop", but not when you take into account the "mass" of the scoop. For all practical purposes, there's not much difference.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8237-caffeine-content-of-coffee-dark-roast-vs-light-roast

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Put good coffee into a reusable filter it's like a really quick French Press.

11. gucci888

Have tried this with multiple brands and packing as much coffee as I could into a reusable one. Still couldn’t get it nearly as strong as a regular K-Cup.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you're drinking for yourself, this is a nice green investment. It takes a while to baby, but works well with an on demand water boiler.
    (not this one but something like it)
    www.amazon.com/Double-Coffee-Dripper-Stainless-Teapots/dp/B075M82YKG

I'm not really sure how pods work w/ out you drinking some of the plastics, so I switched off them and use the old coffee machines for more than one. I guess a french press would do, but no way am I cleaning that on a daily basis.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Small French Press, Moka Pot or a Vietnamese slow dripper.

I gave up coffee months back cause I was taking in too much caffeine, but those are what I used. I do still like a good cup of dark roast every now and again but after quitting coffee, Im wired as hell with one cup.

ico4498 likes this.
  14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Kirkland brand Breakfast Blend (Costco) are good and great value

Green Mountain - I like most of their coffee, Breakfast Blend and Nantucket blend come to mind, the French Roast isn't bad either for a medium blend

Also really like Eight O'clock coffee, and if you're feeling like some really bold flavor Pete's Coffee Big Bang.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not really a coffee connoisseur. My wife is more particular so I have a Breville espresso maker and buy good coffee. I'll drink most any swill with caffeine in it. But, not a fan of the k-cup method. It's a business strategy like HP's ink business -- give you the printer cheap and then make 40% margins on ink cartridges that fit. Or the Gillette razor business. Kuerig hasn't done as good a job with it because people have found ways to not buy their k-cups. But really, it's not that hard to put some coffee in a filter and pour hot water over it.

ico4498 and Xerobull like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I prefer DARK ROAST because I like to drink a large volume throughout the day, so less caffeine is better. I also prefer the taste. It's deeper and more complex. But yee, my pee-pee got small.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Keurig is for peasants! I only drink Nescafé.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

As someone who did this for a living (well pre covid), anytime a consumer asked for dark roast it was code for get the cheapest shittiest coffee bean available and roast the crap out of it. Which we never did. You really won't find any quality roaster who roasts their beans "dark".

Find a local quality roaster. Get a quality burr grinder. Get reusable kcups.

19. bratna8

bratna8 Member

[​IMG]
    What I drink, nice and strong