1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets cut Isaiah Hartenstein

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 23, 2020.

1. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I mean we have Tyson for traditional and Bruno. And Demarre for small ball alongside Tucker. It sucks that they released him cause he didn't really get a chance. Was great for Rio Grande

D-rock likes this.
  2. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

I can’t believe we couldn’t even trade him. Now I have to change my avatar. Sucks

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Wow. I liked the kid. Best of luck.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is a fun analogy for some reason so I’m jumping in.

in trading Capela the Rockets did just essentially trade in their howitzer AND AK47 for a better AK47. One can argue how much better. I didn’t think it was enough of an upgrade at the time. But when Covington is at his best I’d admit now that I was wrong. The guy can go quiet at times but his first game against the lakers was it just immediately working at its best and that’s what you get. We’ll see if he can be at his best frequently.

also the additions of Jeff Green and Carroll further increase that AK47 firepower. Basically they went heavy AK47. Upgraded and more.

in releasing Harty? Well, cmon now, is anyone really thinking Harty was the equivalent of a howitzer? I mean I’m not ecstatic they released him but I don’t really care either. Whatever weapon you’d want to call him it wasn’t one in relatively good shape.

finally this couldn’t happen in today’s society... but howitzer would be a great nickname for a dominant big.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I can’t believe how dumb and short sighted this move was. Just stupid. Small ball is not going to win a championship. Ever.

Imanimal and Tfor3 like this.
  6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Championship confirmed

:D

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree. Whether one thinks we should have kept iHart has a lot to do with whether one thinks he has value to help the team when small ball doesn't work well for whatever reason (match up, injuries, cold shooting, etc.). I personally think he is not there yet but has potential. But that's debatable and I don't care enough to debate that.

My main beef was the whole direction of stripping all options that is not catered to small ball, which essentially renders us a one-trick pony. Or to use another cliche analogy: putting all eggs in one basket. And that basket is a 32-year-old guy who is 90% dependent on his physical quickness.

TimDuncanDonaut and saleem like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You do know that this line up did not play an entire game right? Kerr said it himself playing small wouldn’t win them a ring if they did it an entire game. Could be wrong but I feel like we will struggle in the post season playing small an entire game. Especially without elite or even good 3pt shooting and spacing.

Imanimal likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is probably the year, even if they are not absolute favorites.

GSW out, Corona and #BLM in everyone's heads, fear and worry.

This is as close to chaos as one can imagine. Not trying to underestimate the protocols here.

Some just thrive amid chaos. It sure is going to be interesting.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL Hampton 5 won them the chip not Kerr

give credit where due

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jives with the fact no one claimed him on waivers even with that cheap contract.

Nook, YOLO and D-rock like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets cut Hartenstein. Championship aspirations are gone now. He was the lynchpin to a title.

Oh noes!

YOLO, D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Safe to say the Rox are likely not using the AK47 ever, he was a Jazzhole.

saleem and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a fair critique, but unless there was some way to get RoCo without giving up any of Capela, Harden, Russ or PJ, not sure what choice there was if they really wanted to embrace small ball. Capela's injury aside, if he's on the team, he's starting and playing. Plus, even cutting his minutes 15% or 20% reduces his trade value in the offseason as other side knows how much less valued he is here. That he was ultimately too injured anyway to even play was kind of like a plus of the trade in retrospect. All that aside, to get RoCo, you had to move Capela.

Once that was done, i'm not crying over whether they keep iHart or not. He was not going to allow them to play a different style... cause he was not going to be good enough to get any major minutes.

Easy and D-rock like this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I, like many of you, believe Harty has some value. (becoming a pretty decent NBA player) At first glance, it would seem DM has made a mistake here, but he KNOWS.
    It would seem there is an impact player coming to our bench.

BamBam, Easy and D-rock like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope you are right Plowman!!

Not a lot of time left and options getting limited.

jch1911, Plowman and Easy like this.
  18. ch44

ch44 Member

He wouldn't have been cut, but he volunteered/requested to be released when the Nwaba news came out so he could go somewhere with a better opportunity for him to develop. One of the nicest guys you'll meet.

yixiixiy, joshuaao, Deuce and 10 others like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

This a great bit of news, Rockets did Isaiah a solid!!

Much Mahalo @ch44 and best of luck to Harty!!

yixiixiy, saleem, fattz and 2 others like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I actually liked the Capela-RoCo trade. I'd always liked Covington. I was not happy when he was let go back then. But he was developed yet. So I was kind of "oh well..." Now I have an eerie feeling that iHart may turn out the same way.

Anyway, the Capela trade made sense because it freed up Westbrook's game. If we didn't have Westbrook, we wouldn't have gone into full blown small-ball-only mode.

D-rock and saleem like this.