1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If you can tie ******** on the Astros into your column then you’ll generate clicks. I don’t care, we have 2 World Series appearances and a title in the last 3 years, they can all **** off.

raining threes, The Beard and awc713 like this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Hard to say with the new regime

Luhnow and Hinch would have taken Quintana I’m pretty sure though. They loved having a defensive veteran at catcher

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

1st game set. Nationals vs Yankees.

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I’d like to see the Astros open up against the dodgers and give em a good ol Texas sized ass whoopin with a Texas sized broom to set the mood for the season

The Beard likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

**** this b****.

I usually don't go in that hard but that is just ******** on a guy for clickbait and virtue signalling.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Can we pipe in trash can banging on the PA every time we smash a HR

donkeypunch likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

8. awc713

awc713 Member

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

It's just like the article from Olney a couple of weeks back. This will be in vogue for a while.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

God I Iove watching this man hit a ball in the air... only a handful of guys (McGwire, Bonds, Thomas) that when they hit the ball in the air, regardless of cut, you felt it had a legit chance of going out to the opposite field.

He has really busted his ass to become the player he is now. He learned English immediately, he followed around his coaches in the minors and would ask to speak to veterans down in the minors. He has worked hard on his body and making adjustments to build bat speed.

If you believe the guys that work in and around the clubhouse and travel team, Yordan is a great person. He is always respectful, humble and kind.

11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Has anyone heard an update on Yordan’s knee? Hopefully it was just soreness. This lay-off/delay of the season could end up benefitting the Astros more than any other team if it means we have a 100% Yordan, Verlander, and Mccullers

snowconeman22 and awc713 like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hypothetical trade targets for Houston:

C Reese McGuire
    1B Brandon Belt
    SP Jonathan Gray
    SP Robbie Ray
    SP Matt Boyd
    RP Andrew Chafin
    RP Matt Barnes
    RP Scott Oberg
    RP Mychal Givens
    RP Joe Jiminez

Nook likes this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unless a player is under control through at least 2022, I think teams will be hard pressed to give up anything of value in a trade. Way too much uncertainty.

The Beard likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Non-contenders will still want to shed payroll and acquire prospects. Most teams will probably wait until the deadline since the shorter season gives crummy teams a better chance of winning, but I expect Colorado, San Francisco, Detroit, Toronto, and Baltimore to be bad from the go and want to shed rentals to save a few bucks. Now you might be right on guys with 2 years left. Teams will probably weigh next season’s value very differently.

15. msn

msn Member

Not the best year to take prospects. The farm is in okay-not-great shape after recent (mostly very good) trades that picked the cupboards, and the Astros only had five or six picks this year and two fewer picks next year. Isn't it possible to build the farm and remain competitive at the top? I mean, not at all easy, but StL and NY seem to do it.

The Beard likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

St. Louis hasn’t been that good. NY has been able to stay good because of their payroll flexibility and exploiting international signing before the most recent rule changes.

Houston can stay good if they are willing to maintain a top 5 payroll and if they keep their absolute best prospects (and get lucky that they pan out).

Houston may not be able to add top flight pitching with multiple years of control like Boyd or Gray. But a rental like Ray shouldn’t cost much. Same for guys like McGuire and Belt and the RP I listed. I’m totally fine with the Astros making trades like the Pressly deal. It’s the Verlander/Greinke level trades they can’t keep making.

msn likes this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No but it seemed like something rest could certainly help. I'd imagine he's fully healthy.

Htown Legend likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

Any improvements defensively? I’m hoping he’d be playable in LF or even 1B, but if he’s just a DH then so be it.

Trey Mancini is an interesting name as well. I know BAL thinks highly of him, and, IIRC, he had a flare-up with colon cancer (?) this offseason. Hopefully he can stay healthy, but he’s a helluva player.

#2418 awc713, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    arkoe likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

C Reese McGuire - Do the Astros need more bad press by getting a guy that was arrested for rubbing one out in a parking lot while watching p*rn on his cellphone in Florida? I guess we are just running with the heel narrative now...

1B Brandon Belt- He stinks and is paid double what Gurriel makes. Hasn't posted an 800 ops since 2017 and is owed Michael Brantley money in 2020 and 2021. Unless the Giants eat 75% of his contract... hard pass

SP Jonathan Gray - prospect cost would sting but would love it if we pulled it off. Strom could work his magic with him.

SP Robbie Ray- wasn't very good last year and will have motivation for a bounce back year when he's a free agent after the season. Depends on the price and could be an expensive rental.

SP Matt Boyd - Tigers want top much for a guy that is trash outside of their massive ballpark most of his career. He was better away last year but really fell apart at times last season. Never been that high on him.

RP Andrew Chafin- sure... as a lefty rental that shouldn't cost a ton.

RP Matt Barnes- big arm with good breaking ball....playoff experienced reliever but not sure Boston would trade him with another year of control. My favorite on your list so far. Probably cost close to what Pressly cost us.

RP Scott Oberg- New favorite on your list. Good arm and solid numbers with 3 years of control. $$$$$$ in terms of prospect cost for a reliever but would be a solid addition.

RP Mychal Givens- elite stuff with some control problems at times. He had 3 good months and 3 really bad months last season. Depends on the cost and won't be cheap with team control in 2021.

RP Joe Jimenez- unlikely considering he's only 25 and under team control until 2024. Would be a nice arm to have. Elite stuff and wonder what the Astros could do with him.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

McGuire and Belt represent buy-low opportunities to address positions of need. Belt can play both 1B and LF which makes him a potential replacement for Brantley or Gurriel who would cost almost nothing in prospects. McGuire could be a long term answer at catcher, and based on the Blue Jays reaction to his incident I suspect there’s more to the story that makes it not as bad.

Nook likes this.