1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign David Nwaba

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 23, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Think PJ Tucker.

With hops.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with picking up this guy cheap. It could turn out to be a great move. My problem is what about this season? I'm assuming that Morey isn't through.

D-rock likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

The rockets don’t have any open roster spots and no one has reportedly opted out of Orlando. By the looks of things as of now, there won’t be any additions

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Guess we'll have to get lucky with who we have. Can't say I'm thrilled about it.

saleem likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

4th best title odds after the bucks/LA. And they're sitting at 6th with other teams with better records. I don't know what to say then if people aren't exactly thrilled

joshuaao and BigShasta like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll get thrilled when they toss up the ball for the first game.

7. alethios

alethios Member

I'd be thrilled if we actually won the opening tip.

vupac1, Houtho, amaru and 2 others like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You ain't kidding!

amaru, saleem and alethios like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

PJ is nice and thicc. What does Nwaba have in store for us.

[​IMG]

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then you'd actually see how much those 3+ months of not practicing together have taken a toll on quality ball.

saleem likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, but that should affect all teams.

D-rock likes this.
  12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Nwaba was 82nd in RPM this last year and a perfect for a system. While Harenstein was potential only still.

#112 TheRealAllpro, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, silly take.

saleem likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The player we cut only fits the bolded.

D-rock likes this.
  15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Again, I don’t hate the pick up and agree that Nwaba is perfect for the system. I question the timing of the signing. If the Rockets would’ve waited until the offseason then they wouldn’t have had to cut anyone. That’s what I don’t understand and don’t like about the move.

Were they that worried that Nwaba would be picked up by another team that they couldn’t wait until the offseason? Maybe.

Did Harty express that he wasn’t going to Orlando or did he ask to be cut? I doubt it.

Is this purely to save money bc Harty’s contract was about to become guaranteed in October? Probably.

If it was a cost cutting move, then do they actually plan on keeping Nwaba next season? Probably not.

The Rockets currently have the below players under contract next season.

Westbrook
    Harden/Gordon/McLemore
    House/Nwaba
    RoCo
    PJ

I am betting that Mclemore’s team option is picked up bc it is one of the best values in the league at the moment.

Rivers has a player option for next season but I doubt that he agrees to that pay cut again. It’s possible that he sticks around for some (or all) of the MLE but I’m not willing to slot him into next seasons rotation yet.

From what I can tell, everyone else is a free agent. Idk who else from this season they will be able to retain. I would say Jeff Green (partial MLE or vet min) and Coboclo (min) are likely but that’s it. Rivers, Clemons, Carroll, Thabo and Chandler are all most likely gone.

I think that the team could’ve benefited from keeping Harty for one more season and giving him a chance to play. Morey is going to have his work cut out for him this offseason. There are going to be a lot of holes to fill and he doesn’t have a lot at his disposal to improve the roster. I just think that having Harty around next season would have helped.

D-rock likes this.
  16. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Obviously our opinions of Hartenstien are different. In my eyes Hartenstien was a more skilled version of Clint. He’s still very raw but I think he is a player who is worth developing.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This is easy. They wanted get ahead of the market for him. Sign him now before anyone else can in October. Also Important here is they only have the min available (MLE is likely earmarked for a mid tier candidate)

By signing him now you can pay him an extra 900k. That’s everything and you can’t do that in October.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed, this is the core of our roster next season.

Westbrook
    Harden/Gordon/McLemore
    House/Nwaba
    RoCo
    PJ

Also agree that only Jeff Green and Bruno should be retained, vet min I hope. The majority of MLE will be for targets like Aron Baynes, Serge Ibaka, Meyers Leonard, James Johnson and maybe Nerlens Noel. Others I hope Rockets will consider are Joe Harris, Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Jonah Bolden, Justin Anderson.

Jerami Grant, Montrezl Harrell, Davis Bertrans, Mo Harkless, Christian Wood and Danilo Gallinari will be out of Houston's price range.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2020-2021

I think Rivers is re-signed too, they have his Bird rights and he should not get any inflated offers like Ariza did. Cannot see Rockets making same mistake again.

DM'sVP likes this.
  19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What makes you think we actually use our MLE D-rock?

20. 9baller

9baller Member

Do you think we resign "Greenlight" for next year?

lilbird20 likes this.